Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 21:29 Quote
photo

I purchased this 2018 Demo 8 size Long a few weeks ago, I'm 6 foot so I'm hoping it's a good fit. It's currently in the shop getting a new rear sprng and fork spring to suit my bodyweight, I'm looking forward to taking it to the local downhill tracks.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 22:59 Quote
photo

My new replacement frame, had it for nearly 3 months but could not ride it as I done some ligament damage in my hand, rode it for 1st time last weekend, man I forgot how fun this sport is !

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 16:51 Quote
RBSteve wrote:
photo

I purchased this 2018 Demo 8 size Long a few weeks ago, I'm 6 foot so I'm hoping it's a good fit. It's currently in the shop getting a new rear sprng and fork spring to suit my bodyweight, I'm looking forward to taking it to the local downhill tracks.
Welcome to the club! A lot of friendly demo owner's on here willing to help.Large should be a good fit. Demo's are awesome park bikes.Congrats on new bike.Good choice!
Cheers!

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 2:45 Quote
Eek i bleddy love that new/old bike but upgraded smell

tup Welcome aboard cap'n

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 1:01 Quote
Eek Does anyone know if you can use a stem lock ? Star nut has gone wonky.

If so, Does it matter which one ? because they all seem to have a flat bottom surface except for the box one which has this part which goes inside the stem.

photo

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 2:24 Quote
Never knew there was such a thing, you learn something new every day

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 3:59 Quote
Yeh, star nut's are not usually a problem. But mine must have slipped at some point (one of the sides is angled downwards) and the bolt also infinitely spins, so it will need to be drilled out.

I've had a look at alternative replacements. There is 1. Another regular star nut 2. Expander star nuts like they use in carbon frames. 3. Stem lock's (Basically a threaded rod that pulls the top cap and lower crown together) Instead of pulling the stem up like a star nut does.

I've been having trouble with the stem slipping and/or the stem isn't being preloaded properly because of it.

Also does anyone know what the Nm for the stem bolt is supposed to be ?? i know the top crown stanchion bolts are 5Nm because it's written on them. But nothing on the main stem

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 4:21 Quote
Usually 6-8nm should do it.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 7:35 Quote
Drill the top of the bolt out. Hammer the star nut out and fit a new one?

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 7:38 Quote
photo

Just built up my fourth demo. Its fast

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 8:46 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
Drill the top of the bolt out. Hammer the star nut out and fit a new one?

That's what i would want to do. But i don't have a tool to fit a new one (Yes i know you can DIY it) but im tired of thing's being botched. And the cost of a new star nut and seating tool would be about the same as a stem lock anyway.

Really Mad Those are my 2 peve's. Threadless headset's and cartridge bearing's. Nothing should require a hammer or press to fit anything anymore and shouldn't rely on friction to hold something in place. Dead Horse

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 9:06 Quote
Another option: You can probably reuse the same star nut, just hammer it out the bottom with a screwdriver and then hammer it in from the top again. I’ve never had a problem with star nuts, they’ve always worked to preload a headset. Regarding how tight, not tight enough to effect your turning, but tight enough there’s no play in your headset. No idea how many Nm that would be, every headset is a little different.

You’re technically preloading the steertube, not the stem. Mount a direct mount stem if you’re having issues with the stem moving. If you’re having problems with the headset coming loose, that’s still not for sure the star nut, plastic steertube spacers are often responsible, or just not having enough spacer above your steertube to get it tight enough in the first place.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 10:26 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
Eek Does anyone know if you can use a stem lock ? Star nut has gone wonky.

If so, Does it matter which one ? because they all seem to have a flat bottom surface except for the box one which has this part which goes inside the stem.

photo

Yeah you can, I have had one on all my bikes.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 10:54 Quote
hello! I lost the holder of my rear axle on my demo 8 2016 I Couldn't find any pictures of it so i just took a foto of my axle . Do any of you know where i can buy it, or can you give me a better soulution than a bolt and a pulley. Confused
isa bika

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
MarioMalev wrote:
hello! I lost the holder of my rear axle on my demo 8 2016 I Couldn't find any pictures of it so i just took a foto of my axle . Do any of you know where i can buy it, or can you give me a better soulution than a bolt and a pulley. Confused
isa bika

Contacting a specialized dealer would be the logical thing no ?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015058
Mobile Version of Website