Powered by Outside

Make Downhill Racing an Olympic Sport!

PB Forum :: Downhill
Make Downhill Racing an Olympic Sport!
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 9:25 Quote
i joined this so so so sooooooooo long ago... Facebook is the shit!!!!

Go DH Riders!

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 9:48 Quote
theoutpost wrote:
onone26 wrote:
willshiels wrote:

Yeah, but it's true.

I agree, but who are we looking at in the Olympics...Your local punk DHer or Guys that train to be In the WC circuit?

People like Gracia? Point taken?

haha yes

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 10:21 Quote
onone26 wrote:
theoutpost wrote:
onone26 wrote:

I agree, but who are we looking at in the Olympics...Your local punk DHer or Guys that train to be In the WC circuit?

haha yes

That's not even a true stereotype. Most racers on the world cup level are extremely serious about it. Most have full time training coaches for the whole off season. Downhill is a more challenging sport than most in the Olympics. Most of the guys that ride for Monster and Redbull don't actually drink it, only on the podium. Anyone with common sense knows it's not going to help you in a race.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 10:26 Quote
jettj45 wrote:
onone26 wrote:
theoutpost wrote:

haha yes

That's not even a true stereotype. Most racers on the world cup level are extremely serious about it. Most have full time training coaches for the whole off season. Downhill is a more challenging sport than most in the Olympics. Most of the guys that ride for Monster and Redbull don't actually drink it, only on the podium. Anyone with common sense knows it's not going to help you in a race.

I think what he was getting at was that some DH racers would rip apart the local Olympic village bars, trash apartments, be found up towers/random structures and swimming fully clothed in the diving pool. DH'ers aren't ones to just sit there, most are on the look out for adrenaline.

Not that I think that's the issue here.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 10:38 Quote
Only problem i can see is what happens if a country wants to host but there aren't any hills... But i would be all for it, the sport needs more exposure so that there's better riding for everyone.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 10:49 Quote
ex-puncture-god wrote:
Only problem i can see is what happens if a country wants to host but there aren't any hills... But i would be all for it, the sport needs more exposure so that there's better riding for everyone.

DH doesn't need exposure, the trails are clogged up enough as it is with the Apollo kids.

FL
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 10:50 Quote
-nate- wrote:
mammothrocks wrote:
I think freeride/slopestyle has the chance but I would like to see DH racing in it.

Judged sports should not be in the olympics. Too much politically charged bull shit judging tactics. Measurable events only, speed, time, distance, weight etc.

nate

that means getting rid of gymnastics and stuff like that,

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 11:01 Quote
theoutpost wrote:
ex-puncture-god wrote:

DH doesn't need exposure, the trails are clogged up enough as it is with the Apollo kids.

so more places to ride from the exposure = less apollo kids per riding area?

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 11:09 Quote
please god make it happentup

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 11:14 Quote
Somebody may have said this already
but I don't think the equipment excuse flies very well.
Every sport requires some equipment:

Cycling-those bikes ain't cheap.
Skis
Swimming-you can get those super expensive suits that make you go faster.
Shooting-the rifles they use.
ETC.

To which sponsors and everything help the athletic to compete.
No different than DH mountain biking

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 12:17 Quote
I just looked at some olympic coverage online and have to say that the summer olympics is a joke. i'm willing to bet that Downhill mountain biking has more participants and a broader fan base than a quarter of those events put together. sure, some of them are cool to watch, but what's the point if only a handful of people around the world actually do it? skeet shooting? fencing? synchronized diving?!!!? and luge, bobsled, and skeleton in the winter? Who cares if you're good at something if the only other people in the world who do it are the same ones you're always competing against.
if i've offended anyone who subscribes to synchronized diving monthly, i do apologize.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 12:38 Quote
true. i can't understand why baseball is in, and basketball. They're really only played in America

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 12:41 Quote
ex-puncture-god wrote:
theoutpost wrote:
ex-puncture-god wrote:

so more places to ride from the exposure = less apollo kids per riding area?

Err this is Britain....

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 12:44 Quote
ex-puncture-god wrote:
true. i can't understand why baseball is in, and basketball. They're really only played in America

Cause the Japanese don't love baseball or anything... Or Latin Americans.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 12:46 Quote
why not dh, xc is an olympic sport.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021210
Mobile Version of Website