EVIL Undead

PB Forum :: Downhill
EVIL Undead
Posted: Oct 26, 2013 at 11:45 Quote
well whatever the cosmetic problems, the delays its worth it. i had one of the best days dh at verbier in switzerland today. im stoked for me its the best thing ive ridden. everything just worked so well i was blown away

Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 8:49 Quote
tpersons wrote:
That was my first thought. There is no way the v10 jumps but they all said after spending time dialing in the suspension that it jumped really well. Their comment was it jumped better than the 450. And good to hear about the v10 bad to hear about the undead. Longevity is a big concern of mine. I don't mind doing maintenance, my bike gets totally stripped down to repacking the frame bearings 2-3 times a year, but I don't want to be breaking things prematurely.

For what it's worth man it's all down to the rider, because my summary of my V10 would be the complete opposite of the dude above you. I spent my entirety riding downhill bikes on Treks. My last pair being Gwins last 2 Session 9.9's he rode at his last World Cup round on Trek. I pretty much rode most of his settings and everything was STIFF. These were the most non plush poppiest bikes I've owned and I got used to them. Fast forward now, I've got a pair of XL Santa Cruz's, my v10.5 is the latest full carbon model and I'm on the fox stuff still front and rear. No, my Santa Cruz isn't as poppy as my sessions were, but its still much more playful and likes to hop around more then 85% of the bikes I still get the chance to ride. Way more playful then any Wilson I've rode, any demo, and definitely any 450. Im pretty sure ive gotten to ride almost every manufacturer, just unfortunately dont have much sizeable time on the undead. The V jumps amazing, and corners amazing. It's gotta a very linear feel in the sense that it picks up speed a lot more progressive than other downhill bikes, doesn't always look for you to do it. Anyone who says the bike can't jump should sell it cause in reality, they can't jump, lol. My bike jumps perfect, there was zero learning curve jumping even when I came off Treks which I had gotten so used to. The Santa Cruz shines the most as a race bike though. Nothing comes close in the rough, square edge, choppy shit. It is a true beast. Again, most people that bad mouth that shock mode just can't use it. Make sure your gonna run through the whole stroke when it's on, it's not the most playful bike in 10 mode it is a killer race bike. And that's why I've been so stoked so far, it's kind of the perfect balance between a park rig and a full blown race rig, being able to switch up is great. I think you'll kind of get that from the Undead too, a good park/race bike, just without the huge brand support and backing. Kevin @ Evil seems to do a really good job with being prompt and reliable with his clients, but it is pretty much just one guy running the show. I backed out of the Undead deal with a bit of the same fear as you. Small company, new bike, kind of an anxious buy. I also thought Evil's sizing was ridiculous!

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 9:14 Quote
Good to hear. I actually got to do a few laps on a new v10 closing weekend at northstar. It was just what you said. A race bike. I also agree hugely with your point that it's a lot about set up and rider. The bike was in 10" mode but was set up for 250 pound rider, I weigh 160. It was wayyyyy over sprung and even then I could tell it would eat rough stuff. I really enjoyed it and it jumped well but I think it will loose some snap when it's sprung for me. However, with that said I think it could be set up to be a really good park bike as well. I'm still leaning towards the undead, but havnt pulled the trigger yet so the v10 is still an option. Well see. Thanks for the input!

Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 10:53 Quote
@ericlikesbikes I think you nailed it. There are differences between bikes, but it mostly comes down to setup and rider ability. Earlier this season I had a 1/2 Carbon V10 which held speed like nothing I've ever been on- all it did was accelerate. Now I've got an Undead which also holds speed in a similar manner and has the same amazing stability and predictability. It took me less than 1 run to get comfortable on my Undead (find my balance), smashing berms brakeless clearing tables and gapping to backsides. Both are amazing bikes, arguably the two of the best DH frames out there alongside the Wilson and Session (no matter what people say, the session won 9 world cups in 2 years, not counting T-Mo's wins...). I will say that I've never felt as instantly comfortable/confident on any bike as I did the Undead, even compared to my V10.

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 11:08 Quote
That's good to head because I hopped on that v10 and instantly felt comfortable. I had my 450 set up so it was really poppy so as long as the undead can be set up that way ill be happy. There's too many v10's around. I need some uniqueness in my life lol.

Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 11:59 Quote
Put it this way I did things on the undead I didn't think was possible for to do before. I can't wait for the snow to come and go so I can get back on it. As for sizing, I'm 6ft 1 and have a med and I couldn't be happier.

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 13:54 Quote
A med!!! Dang alright so I don't need an xl then.

Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 14:44 Quote
I'm 5'6" and ride a Medium... Feels perfect to me hahaha- to each their own I guess. Evil's size chart shows me as on the low end of the range that should fit a medium. Most people think they run small, not large. I have no trouble cornering, manualing, and handling either of my bikes (medium Mojo HD for trail). I really dislike the feeling of small bikes since them I'm not able to freely move around and body english my bike, and it feels like I'm always outside/over the front/off the back rather than in the bike.

Food for thought...

Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 14:49 Quote
@tpersons also saw you asked about the rear axle. happy to chime in on that. The axle threads into metal inserts, pretty standard for carbon rear ends. The axle is traditionally threaded, then has an alloy cap that goes over the non drive side reverse threaded, complete with Torque specs printed on it. The threads are beefy.

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 14:50 Quote
Yea I come from moto and there's only one size lol. I prefer larger bikes for sure which was why I was leaning towards an xl. Ill look at the charts again and go back to being undecided lol

Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 14:51 Quote
I'm 6'3" and went for the large, i have unfeasibly long arms and legs and it fits me perfectly

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 14:58 Quote
Cool on the axle. I appreciate the response. I figured it was something similar like that. And ok. I'm about 6'1" so I know I should be on at least a large. I appreciate the input guys. Are any of you still having bearing problems?

Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 15:13 Quote
I can't really comment on the bearings since I've only ridden my Undead a handful of times... Also, as far as I know my frame has the dual row contact bearings for the H links rather than the sphericals which have been wearing out crazy fast, and all frames ordered until a spherical fix is in place will as well. Don't quote me, but that's my understanding...

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 15:16 Quote
Yea I have a shop looking into one for me, still havnt pulled the trigger. I'm not to worried as Kevin emailed me and said he had them in stock and I cracked a bearing on my 450 so I'm prepared to replace them once a year or so. As long as they don't fail prematurely ill be happy.

FL
Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 15:32 Quote
@tpersons
at 6' 1'' i would probably lean towards an XL i have heard they are sixed a little small. at 6' 3" i wanted an evil but the xl was still too small. as a result i ended up with a L devinci wilson which is bigger. still wish i could have one but they dont make em big enough. Frown
Go XL, especially if you moto.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.034851
Mobile Version of Website