Older riders, but not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Older riders, but not "Old School"
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 19:59 Quote
carnell wrote:
By the way are you the Nato of Drop In fame?

Take a look at his albums.

O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 20:47 Quote
Ok 38, got my first mountain bike in 1985, A Mikado Coureur des Bois. Bullhorn handlebars, Thumbshifters that were thick solid metal. forget aluminium we were rockin a 35 pounds cro-mo beast with no suspension and very poor handling skills. Fast forward 23 years and I am now a trail builder and riding a V-10 pretty good. Learned no footers in 2004 and one hander this year. But learning to build a good trail is still an on-going project of not being 100% satisfied.
My buddy Jean-Guy and I scoped out this trail in the fall of 1999 and have been putting efforts into it evers ince then. I have owned many bikes, I have used them all well. Jean-Guy raced in the masters DH in Kamloops at the tender age of 47 and placed 7th. He can still kick some serious ass. Oh Sure they are faster guys but they are more than half his age but he is faster than the vast majority of mountain bikers. He is a good riding buddy to have and many road trips have ben taken in Moab, Rossland, Nelson, Whistler, Kamloops, Golden, Vernon was the destination for the last 3 years. Visions of Rockstar, Pipe Dream and Shazam are still dancing in my head. I really hate it when it's too cold to go ride or ski or snowboard. Oh well there is always cuddling with the wife!!!!!!

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 21:21 Quote
jerome wrote:
Ok 38, got my first mountain bike in 1985, A Mikado Coureur des Bois. Bullhorn handlebars, Thumbshifters that were thick solid metal. forget aluminium we were rockin a 35 pounds cro-mo beast with no suspension and very poor handling skills. Fast forward 23 years and I am now a trail builder and riding a V-10 pretty good. Learned no footers in 2004 and one hander this year. But learning to build a good trail is still an on-going project of not being 100% satisfied.
My buddy Jean-Guy and I scoped out this trail in the fall of 1999 and have been putting efforts into it evers ince then. I have owned many bikes, I have used them all well. Jean-Guy raced in the masters DH in Kamloops at the tender age of 47 and placed 7th. He can still kick some serious ass. Oh Sure they are faster guys but they are more than half his age but he is faster than the vast majority of mountain bikers. He is a good riding buddy to have and many road trips have ben taken in Moab, Rossland, Nelson, Whistler, Kamloops, Golden, Vernon was the destination for the last 3 years. Visions of Rockstar, Pipe Dream and Shazam are still dancing in my head. I really hate it when it's too cold to go ride or ski or snowboard. Oh well there is always cuddling with the wife!!!!!!

When were you guys at Silverstar last summer? Did you stay at the resort? I was there in july, and there were a pair of old fogeys next door to me and the wife who also had big bikes on the balcony. Maybe we were neighbours for a day or two. I had a grey Fisher with fox 36's and foul smelling body armour drying on the balcony overlooking the village.
you guys by chance?

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 7:14 Quote
shondo wrote:
jerome wrote:

When were you guys at Silverstar last summer? Did you stay at the resort? I was there in july, and there were a pair of old fogeys next door to me and the wife who also had big bikes on the balcony. Maybe we were neighbours for a day or two. I had a grey Fisher with fox 36's and foul smelling body armour drying on the balcony overlooking the village.
you guys by chance?

No cause we went with a tent trailer a were not in any accomodations. Boy do ever love that place!

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 8:47 Quote
carnell wrote:
I'm only 19(and 3/4) however i consider my self an older rider. I've been mountain biking for over ten years now, and learned from the older guys, and by that i mean i'm one of those riders who stops when someone falls over even if they are not part of my riding group, if a stranger needs a tube and i have one i give it to them (free of charge), i take home everything i bring into the forest (tubes/garbage), if i brake a feature on a trail i fix it too, When i see a builder on the trail i stop say thank you and over to help for a bit, i yield to the rider who is climbing, and i pile rocks when the sign asks me to pile rocks.

I consider myself a product of the late 90's mountain bike fad in Vancouver and because of that my riding style very much includes many technical skills and skinny riding abilities, the only tricks i know are ones from that era i.e. the flatty/table top, moto whip and bar spin.

I really have trouble seeing the 16 year olds at whistler with thier nike 6.0's purple bandana's in thier wallet pocket and their transition bottle rockets, who can slay A-line but would die on Cypress Seymour or Fromme.

All my riding buddies are older than me, and i consider myslef an older rider, but i'm not sure if you guys do.

Wish I was 19 again ....Pushing 32 here

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 12:09 Quote
Its great to hear from all the older guys on the forum, sometimes I feel like the only one.

I'll be doing some remedial work on Flywheel's swampy section this summer. Probably by pass the whole mess with a nice flowy extension.

At the moment its great winter riding here in and around Vancouver. As much snow as we have at the moment especially with it being dry and cold snow make the most mundane multi user trail or ride around the neighbourhood a lot of fun.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 12:17 Quote
I'm snowed-in and can't go anywhere right now, so I made the best of a bad situation last night...

photo

Yep

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 12:37 Quote
carnell wrote:
I'm only 19(and 3/4) however i consider my self an older rider. I've been mountain biking for over ten years now, and learned from the older guys, and by that i mean i'm one of those riders who stops when someone falls over even if they are not part of my riding group, if a stranger needs a tube and i have one i give it to them (free of charge), i take home everything i bring into the forest (tubes/garbage), if i brake a feature on a trail i fix it too, When i see a builder on the trail i stop say thank you and over to help for a bit, i yield to the rider who is climbing, and i pile rocks when the sign asks me to pile rocks.

I consider myself a product of the late 90's mountain bike fad in Vancouver and because of that my riding style very much includes many technical skills and skinny riding abilities, the only tricks i know are ones from that era i.e. the flatty/table top, moto whip and bar spin.

I really have trouble seeing the 16 year olds at whistler with thier nike 6.0's purple bandana's in thier wallet pocket and their transition bottle rockets, who can slay A-line but would die on Cypress Seymour or Fromme.

All my riding buddies are older than me, and i consider myslef an older rider, but i'm not sure if you guys do.

I have restored faith in todays youth..............

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 13:37 Quote
Me too,Carnell, good job.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 13:38 Quote
northwestdhdad wrote:
carnell wrote:

I have restored faith in todays youth..............

i second the notion. theres lots of good kids around, depends on how you look.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 14:26 Quote
The thing that did it for me was my baby girl. I started riding when I was 4 and never looked back. I don't see DJ trails as really new school as I started building them in about '87. Though I guess if you look at RUN DMC new school was in '83. My helmet is older than some of the guys at my local trails. I put 7 years of digging into COX which is the last of a few places. It's funny how when you have a kid and don't dig for 3 months kids that have been digging think their 3 months is worth something. (my girl was born in March so I missed all the spring action) Some kids are cool, and exept that you know what you are talking about and some are just so arrogant they have no idea. I swapped from BMX to MTBs about 5 years ago and they think I have always been on an MTB. One kid came to my house and saw all my BMX trophies and freaked, he's one of the cool kids. I think that that's just life though, every new crop of riders think they are the first and the old guys just don't know how things are today. I remember watching forks fail, frames get ripped in half ect, ect,,,, No 1 1/8th steerers Skyway TA frames, lighter is better who cares if your frame lasts a week. Those old guys learned with no resi mats or foam pits. That was old school.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 14:30 Quote
ricar wrote:
The thing that did it for me was my baby girl. I started riding when I was 4 and never looked back. I don't see DJ trails as really new school as I started building them in about '87. Though I guess if you look at RUN DMC new school was in '83. My helmet is older than some of the guys at my local trails. I put 7 years of digging into COX which is the last of a few places. It's funny how when you have a kid and don't dig for 3 months kids that have been digging think their 3 months is worth something. (my girl was born in March so I missed all the spring action) Some kids are cool, and exept that you know what you are talking about and some are just so arrogant they have no idea. I swapped from BMX to MTBs about 5 years ago and they think I have always been on an MTB. One kid came to my house and saw all my BMX trophies and freaked, he's one of the cool kids. I think that that's just life though, every new crop of riders think they are the first and the old guys just don't know how things are today. I remember watching forks fail, frames get ripped in half ect, ect,,,, No 1 1/8th steerers Skyway TA frames, lighter is better who cares if your frame lasts a week. Those old guys learned with no resi mats or foam pits. That was old school.

Here here, also no discs, no suspension and no armour... ppffft kids today think they're so hard core... lol. So does anyone here remember or know who Mint Sauce is?

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 14:45 Quote
crosscheck wrote:
Heyyy, freshly studded tires. That sounds like you made them yourself. I've been looking for a place to buy actual carbide studs so that i can set up my own tires. Any advice?

Oh, and here in Calgary the wind chill is sending it below -30C. -20C sounds balmy Big Grin

Carbide studs, dude just go to the closest hardware store and buy some wood screws just long enough to stick through whatever knobbies you are using. On the way home pick up a case of beer. When you get home plug in a DVD and stud up your tires whilst soaking up a few yoohoo colas... or wobbly pops whatever you prefer.

This may take a few of you back... my studded tires were a pair of Fisher Fat Trax 2.02s. Made them when I lived in Invermere while teaching skiing at Panorama. I used to ride out on Lake Windermere. On new years or December 31 1987 I was riding to the ski school new years party... it was freak'n cold out... so cold I blew tube in one of my 2.02's and went skidding out of control down a snowy embankment... hell it was funny because I was already drunk! lol.

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 15:04 Quote
davemud wrote:
Here here, also no discs, no suspension and no armour... ppffft kids today think they're so hard core... lol. So does anyone here remember or know who Mint Sauce is?

We've got a Mintsauce poster of him chasing down a bering throughout the countryside in our Gym

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 15:39 Quote
saintjimmy wrote:
davemud wrote:

We've got a Mintsauce poster of him chasing down a bering throughout the countryside in our Gym
I still have the March 1988 Bicycle Action the debut of Mint Sauce... I used to love that cartoon.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035483
Mobile Version of Website