Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

BMX vs DIRT JUMPER

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
BMX vs DIRT JUMPER
Posted: May 29, 2011 at 16:56 Quote
bmx-33 wrote:
gutkrencher wrote:
you should use seach.

if youre into riding trails then a bmx is what you should ride. however some people find them a little twitchy. if you ride proper trails you should go for a 20" or a nice compact 24" mtb (bmx cruisers are filth). 26" wheels should stay on the dh tracks and round xc routes, theyre just not as good as 24" for riding trails for very obvious reasons

You cant say 26 wheels should stay on dh tracks and xc routes. 26's are great on dj's too. Some of them are even designed to be ridden off of mounds of dirt called dirt jumps. Hence the name dirt jumper. This guy wants to feel comfortable and stable in air which 26's provide. That is a bold statement to make.

bmx-33, You have to realize that this comment was made by someone that says cruisers are filth. Obviously she knows squat about bikes so there is probably not much point in arguing with her.

Posted: May 29, 2011 at 17:41 Quote
DJ all the way man! You can rig it up so you can go trails and other shit, I have nothing against bmx I just think you can do a lot more with DJ bikes.

Posted: May 29, 2011 at 18:32 Quote
ricar wrote:
bmx-33 wrote:
gutkrencher wrote:
you should use seach.

if youre into riding trails then a bmx is what you should ride. however some people find them a little twitchy. if you ride proper trails you should go for a 20" or a nice compact 24" mtb (bmx cruisers are filth). 26" wheels should stay on the dh tracks and round xc routes, theyre just not as good as 24" for riding trails for very obvious reasons

You cant say 26 wheels should stay on dh tracks and xc routes. 26's are great on dj's too. Some of them are even designed to be ridden off of mounds of dirt called dirt jumps. Hence the name dirt jumper. This guy wants to feel comfortable and stable in air which 26's provide. That is a bold statement to make.

bmx-33, You have to realize that this comment was made by someone that says cruisers are filth. Obviously she knows squat about bikes so there is probably not much point in arguing with her.

true, i just read the first post and was like wtf.

Posted: May 29, 2011 at 18:40 Quote
DJ is way better. I ride BMX better then my DJ because I've road BMX onger but the way I see it is if you can do something on a dj then you can probably do it on a BMX. Although I find BMX more fun for street and park I feel a lot more comfortable on jumps with 26 inch wheels.

I'm still undecided on which I prefer.

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 at 21:00 Quote
There seams to be a lot of 24" bmx bashing on here . Yes the traditional cruser geometry sucks but more modern 24s like the Sunday model c have a much higher bb. Theses bikes jump like a dream & are not as twitche as a 20".

Posted: Jul 18, 2012 at 10:04 Quote
High BBs suck. Maybe they work in the park, but everywhere else lower is better. But yea, a well built cruiser is a fantastic choice for DJs. They are more mobile than a 24" with a sus fork but still, personal.

Posted: Dec 8, 2012 at 22:39 Quote
My friend tells me to get a bmx so we can go to the skate park but i want to learn how to dirt jump. Should i get a dirt jump bike for dirt jumping and the skate park, or should i get a bmx for both dirt jumping and the skate park

FL
Posted: Dec 9, 2012 at 5:39 Quote
I would say dirt jump as IMO they are alot easier to learn to dirt jump on because if you case you don't feel it as much and also they are stabler and you feel less bumps Big Grin

Posted: Dec 9, 2012 at 10:42 Quote
littlelewis14 wrote:
My friend tells me to get a bmx so we can go to the skate park but i want to learn how to dirt jump. Should i get a dirt jump bike for dirt jumping and the skate park, or should i get a bmx for both dirt jumping and the skate park
GRAVE DIG Dead Horse Get a DJ they are so much more stable and yes they are harder to spin and whatever but if you're big enough that shouldn't be a major problem. I ride my 26 at parks it's no worse in my opinion it's way better

Posted: Dec 11, 2012 at 13:41 Quote
After getting back into riding bicycles i had a 20" left over from back in the days, an old S&M challenger and was struggling to get the job done but now being over weight and not a young lad my experience from racing bmx in my younger years was not really helping. I rode a friends dirt jumper and eventually got my own and cant be happier. So much more stable and easier to ride. i was getting kinda bucked around and jossled through some pump sections with the 20"and now its like someone put a stabilizer on the front of it comparing it to a 26" bike. Sure riding a very old bike with cut down bars getting back into the sport im sure didnt help and isn't the best experience but if you're a bigger guy the bigger bike definately is a welcome.

Posted: Dec 13, 2012 at 9:55 Quote
ktmrider173 wrote:
After getting back into riding bicycles i had a 20" left over from back in the days, an old S&M challenger and was struggling to get the job done but now being over weight and not a young lad my experience from racing bmx in my younger years was not really helping. I rode a friends dirt jumper and eventually got my own and cant be happier. So much more stable and easier to ride. i was getting kinda bucked around and jossled through some pump sections with the 20"and now its like someone put a stabilizer on the front of it comparing it to a 26" bike. Sure riding a very old bike with cut down bars getting back into the sport im sure didnt help and isn't the best experience but if you're a bigger guy the bigger bike definately is a welcome.

I have gotten quite a few 20" riders back into dirt after time away from it, by getting them on a DJ 26". No question, DJ's are a great choice. The smoothness and speed are addicting !

Posted: Dec 27, 2012 at 9:25 Quote
That's funny, I had a challenger as well. Yes, as an old guy I would say that moving to 24" wheels gave me more than a few years of jumping when on a 20 I would have been done. If you are out on the bike every day then sure a 20 is fine. But as you get older and have to work, kids ect... then you don't keep the skills as sharp. Also if you get injured the consequences are greater as well. The stability of a bigger bike is perfect. That being said, my opinion is to start ( as a young guy or girl)on a decent used cheap BMX then go from there. If you have a hard time, you can go to a bigger bike, or even try a bigger bike if some one will let you. It's generally a much cheaper option and safer as cheap sus forks can really hurt you.

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 20:37 Quote
i prefer bmx for skate parks and street but dj for dirt
overall i go bmx

Posted: Aug 15, 2013 at 5:10 Quote
MTB has more potential to go high if you know how to use it, and is more versatile. Don't bother you will want a bmx anyway. I come from MTB to bmx and trust me it is the right switch for trails. If your trails are too rough to bmx build them right, have more fun they are easier to use Nd get compression from. Only an elite few can use MTB sus as a benefit not a hinderance off a lip

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.036705
Mobile Version of Website