2009 DOWNHILL BIKE? ANY IDEAS?

PB Forum :: Downhill
2009 DOWNHILL BIKE? ANY IDEAS?
Posted: Sep 27, 2008 at 6:56 Quote
2009 Turner DHR with the dw-link looks relly nice :p

Posted: Sep 27, 2008 at 21:36 Quote
buy an 08 turner dhr its so fast and you can build it up pretty light. you wont be able to get ahold of an 09 turner until this time next year. you can order them in january but oyu wont recieve it till this time next year says the guys at turner

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 2:24 Quote
To open it up a little: I'm looking for a downhill bike I can ride at Fort William, but which I can also use for freeriding in my local woods. I'm considering:

Intense M6
Intense Socom
Foes Fly
Foes RS7
Trek Session 88
Yeti 303RDH

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 8:33 Quote
WarwickC wrote:
To open it up a little: I'm looking for a downhill bike I can ride at Fort William, but which I can also use for freeriding in my local woods. I'm considering:

Intense M6
Intense Socom
Foes Fly
Foes RS7
Trek Session 88
Yeti 303RDH
if you also doing a fair amount of freeride add the demo 8 to the list

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 8:44 Quote
poozank wrote:
WarwickC wrote:

Intense M6
Intense Socom
Foes Fly
Foes RS7
Trek Session 88
Yeti 303RDH

He lives in the UK unless you have any ideas of importing them?

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 8:45 Quote
Jolaleye wrote:
poozank wrote:
WarwickC wrote:

Intense M6
Intense Socom
Foes Fly
Foes RS7
Trek Session 88
Yeti 303RDH

He lives in the UK unless you have any ideas of importing them?
buy it off internet or have a friend in states purchase and ship

FL
Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 8:46 Quote
get a sunday or a trek session 88
both are the dog boll*cks
wont get a beter bike

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 14:31 Quote
Not the Yeti 303, too pure race oriented I believe, same goes for the M6, long and low for balls out speed, Socom would be a better choice from Intense

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 14:36 Quote
WarwickC wrote:

Intense M6
Intense Socom
Foes Fly
Foes RS7
Trek Session 88
Yeti 303RDH

I have an 08 Foes Fly, and it is absolutely amazing. Pedals so much better than any other 8" bike, has a 67 degree head angle which some could find too steep, but I like it because it corners amazingly, and the total length is 45.4 (medium) so it's super stable at high speed. Not to mention their new Curnutt Air shock is a great performer and sheds off a lot of weight making a 37lb build easy. I have mine for a DH race rig, but if you put a front derailer and a mountain cassette, there's no reason you couldn't take it up any hill out there.

Posted: Nov 5, 2008 at 14:58 Quote
Some really interesting thoughts here. I particularly like the idea of the Session 88 and the new Fly.

I've read some amazing reviews of the Sesion 88, although one or two reviewers have expresed concern about the super-light weight, and the ease with which you might be able to dent the tubes (I've also heard people with Socoms taking about dents).

The Fly seems like a good idea - especially since it can be set up as a proper downhill bike - and I'd be interested to know how the ride compares with some of the bigger 9" and 10" bikes like the M6 and DHS Mono

Posted: Nov 5, 2008 at 16:51 Quote
WarwickC wrote:
Some really interesting thoughts here. I particularly like the idea of the Session 88 and the new Fly.

I've read some amazing reviews of the Sesion 88, although one or two reviewers have expresed concern about the super-light weight, and the ease with which you might be able to dent the tubes (I've also heard people with Socoms taking about dents).

The Fly seems like a good idea - especially since it can be set up as a proper downhill bike - and I'd be interested to know how the ride compares with some of the bigger 9" and 10" bikes like the M6 and DHS Mono

The Fly and the DHS Mono are very similar. Both pedal amazing, both plow through rough fast stuff like it wasn't there, and both are still nimble at tight low speed. The only noticable difference between the two is weight. The DHS Mono with the coil shock, rear 160mm Hadley hub and brake arm weighs 13.5lbs (comparable to Yeti 303), while the Fly is more the 9lb range with the Air shock. Granted, lots of weight is saved with the air shock, but the DHS Mono is still a lot of bike, especially if you don't need 10". If I raced only fast and rough courses like Willamette Pass I would have chosen the DHS Mono, but a lot of Northwest courses are fast in spots, but tight and technical in others, so I really needed an 8" travel bike. As for how it handles a DH course, it can hang with the best of them on gnarly fast and rough courses, but other bikes can't compare on the flatter pedaling courses that almost resemble a Super D.

On a side note, the new Fly has significant weight savings over years past, due mostly to the Curnutt Air shock, but also to shaving weight with the tubing. Now, if you actually use your bump stoppers it's fine, but if you take your brand new bike to Sea Otter, odds are those idiots handling your bike will dent it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022824
Mobile Version of Website