PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 12:38 Quote
Agreed... Im just grateful for choices. Smile

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 14:39 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Given material properties, that's not possible. To attain equal stiffness requires greater material density and weight... to achieve equal compliance requires less material and compromise strength. To try and find a balance point between them requires material variability that increases costs and complexity of welding and manufacturing and negates cost benefits.

Carbon is a superior material, period. Anecdotes and preferences don't change that fact.

Do you follow the weight game thread in here? RMR, who is an engineer designing bikes, had an amazing post recently discussing these notions. I’ll find it and paste it here.

Here's what he posted. Wasn't exactly as I remembered it but still interesting:

*snip
That all highlights exactly why carbon is superior... because it can be all those things he discussed. If you want it to be more compliant, no problem... want it to be punishingly stiff, no problem... etc, etc. It's not superior because it's any one specific thing, it's superior because you can adjust it to be what you need it to be by controlling layup and type much more easily than alloy. That's been exactly my point. With alloy you have a very limited range of what you can do within the acceptable parameters of a bike... with carbon, you have much more flexibility to meet strength, weight, and stiffness requirements.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 14:53 Quote
Hearing you Leroy

If carbon was cheaper on the whole, we would, most likely, all, be running carbon frames. Ok, I may be wrong, but I will run with it, a 26/27lb bike all up? Yes .. yes I will, pls.thx

Reason I am choosing AF over Ripley is solely price.

That Ripmo geo with DW link has got me, hard to fault , even if it come up 32lb+ all up & burly

Money saved going on Weareones ... Carbon hoops. Coz warranty

Ally hoops as backup though lol

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 15:08 Quote
Honestly, alloy frame and carbon wheels will make more performance difference than carbon frame and alloy hoops... definitely money more wisely spent.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 15:16 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Honestly, alloy frame and carbon wheels will make more performance difference than carbon frame and alloy hoops... definitely money more wisely spent.

Nods head tup

Have ditched so many bike choices this last year due to uncertainty or funds getting spent in the interim period.
Not committed to jack shit, ebike too damn heavy, so bought a van to chuck dirty tools in.

But, this AF hits all the right buttons .. at the right time

Seriously popular already here, getting my name down & money sat waiting

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 15:42 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Good wheels makes such a huge difference.

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 16:04 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Nods head tup

Have ditched so many bike choices this last year due to uncertainty or funds getting spent in the interim period.
Not committed to jack shit, ebike too damn heavy, so bought a van to chuck dirty tools in.

But, this AF hits all the right buttons .. at the right time

Seriously popular already here, getting my name down & money sat waiting
You won't be disappointed, my buddy took my bike for a rip last night and in 15 minutes he was blown away at how good it was. He rides a 2019 transition smuggler pimped with ohlins coil f+r.

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 18:11 Quote
I’m on the Ripmo AF bandwagon as well. Took a quick glance at that limited Capra 29 but of course they are already sold out for normal sized humans.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 20:22 Quote
For goodness sakes the rain just came down monsoon style. Looks like we’re in for a few wet days.

Interesting last weekend, wife borrowed a kona, boy peddled his bmx for first time and was stoked. First time all four of us were riding together and it was pretty cool.

Last few days I’ve been pushing myself with long days in Seattle to get extra cash for a wife bike. Nice little mid-entry hardtail trail bike from the wonderful boys at Kona. Stoked for her but I had to reluctantly relinquish my pump track bike funds.... in comes feathers and just works a little canadian magic. Finds a great deal on a really cool one that ticked all my boxes within my dwindling budget. Thanks man. So grateful.

I take for granted occasionally the fact that I have been lucky enough to meet so many fantastic individuals on this silly site. I look forward every time there is some small gathering of pb folk. Fossil fest, Leavenworth jammers, a few cats or one on one rides.

Oct 4-6th Leavenworth if you’re game. We’ll have low key fun.

Along with all the blathering and semi useful information if you play your cards right, you end up with some good friends. Pretty f*cking cool.

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 20:26 Quote
I have named the October gathering shredtoberfest... I am glad I’m going! Hopefully meet some other fossils. Very much looking forward to it.

This site does bring joy.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 20:33 Quote
Oooo Thats going to stick !

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 21:00 Quote
I'm selling a 650b Nextie AM40 Carbon Wheelset laced on hope pro 4 hubs to any old fart that's interested for $1700 Canuck Bucks. Come complete with a full meal deal mountain bicycle in beauty shape attached to them... 180mm travel in the rear and 200mm up front. Size medium.

mysticmountainadventures.com Copyright Jacob Johnson Not for use or publication without written permission explicitly granted

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 22:13 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

I would tend to agree.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 22:25 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
I have named the October gathering shredtoberfest... I am glad I’m going! Hopefully meet some other fossils. Very much looking forward to it.

Careful, I already own the rights to Shredtember. I'll sue. Wink

What is this Juggalo gathering (whooop whoop!) on Oct 4-6th in Leavenworth?
Shuttle, pedal or some sort of park riding?
Camping?
Condo?
Other?
I only ask because I just took the first two weeks of October off work.
Hummmmmm?

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 2:59 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:

Careful, I already own the rights to Shredtember. I'll sue. Wink

What is this Juggalo gathering (whooop whoop!) on Oct 4-6th in Leavenworth?
Shuttle, pedal or some sort of park riding?
Camping?
Condo?
Other?
I only ask because I just took the first two weeks of October off work.
Hummmmmm?

My folks place, 5 bedrooms, free to stay. Room for tones of overflow camping on acre wooded lot. We shall peddle, shuttle and generally have fun. Tons to ride. Eat, drink be merry. You come.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.715513
Mobile Version of Website