Powered by Outside

Radical Retro Stuff [Road, CX, Rando]

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Radical Retro Stuff [Road, CX, Rando]
Posted: Oct 30, 2014 at 20:26 Quote
Hi everybody! Ok so I have a pair of 1987-88 shimano pd-1050 pedals. I've heard about cleats being manufactured specifically for this pedal called something along the lines of "pd-64" or something like that. Is this true? How do they work? Additional hardware required? What shoes work best with them? I've never used clipless pedals in my life and have always used toe clips. I know the benefits of going clipless and would like to give it a try with spending the least amount of money as possible (except for the shoes haha). I've posted pics of the pedals below and any information you guys n gals could offer would be most appreciated !
Shimano pd 1050
Shimano pd 1050

Posted: Oct 30, 2014 at 21:22 Quote
RGonz wrote:
Hi everybody! Ok so I have a pair of 1987-88 shimano pd-1050 pedals. I've heard about cleats being manufactured specifically for this pedal called something along the lines of "pd-64" or something like that. Is this true? How do they work? Additional hardware required? What shoes work best with them? I've never used clipless pedals in my life and have always used toe clips. I know the benefits of going clipless and would like to give it a try with spending the least amount of money as possible (except for the shoes haha). I've posted pics of the pedals below and any information you guys n gals could offer would be most appreciated !
Shimano pd 1050
Shimano pd 1050

I remember them and they we a pain in the rear. You had you cycling shoe and they screwed in just like a modern cleat however they positioned your foot in the pedal and caught the back lip of the pedal so you were basically locked in. I am sure they were the cause of their fair share of crashes. I tried them once and cursed shimano for a good idea gone stupid. Your better off spendi g a few bucks and buying a pair of spd's. Should he able to find them cheap.

Posted: Oct 30, 2014 at 22:28 Quote
stymiecat wrote:
RGonz wrote:
Shimano pd 1050
Shimano pd 1050

I remember them and they we a pain in the rear. You had you cycling shoe and they screwed in just like a modern cleat however they positioned your foot in the pedal and caught the back lip of the pedal so you were basically locked in. I am sure they were the cause of their fair share of crashes. I tried them once and cursed shimano for a good idea gone stupid. Your better off spendi g a few bucks and buying a pair of spd's. Should he able to find them cheap.
Yea, definitely not down for looking like a tard and getting run over right after.. fixed gear problems ya know... Also, I bet I could find a decent set up on the cheaps haha

Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 16:32 Quote
I posted this in the mechanic's section but I think that it would have be more appropriate here. I was trying to find out where I could get drop bolts for my calipers (also being updated) for my conversion from 27"tires to 700. I've read about the DIY for this but I was hoping just to buy them. any recommendations as to where and how much do they usually go for?

Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 16:58 Quote
Tektro R556. Super long reach calipers. If that isn't enough reach for you'll have to get creative. 35 bucks each.

Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 18:00 Quote
steezydozit wrote:
Tektro R556. Super long reach calipers. If that isn't enough reach for you'll have to get creative. 35 bucks each.

I did consider tektro but I would like to use the calipers that came from the lot that I got so this is why I am looking for the drop bolts.

Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 19:01 Quote
Sheldon has good ideas http://sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html

This one is more elegant
photo

Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 23:00 Quote
Like that. Where could I get them?

Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 20:50 Quote
grk10vq wrote:
1980's replica:

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://media.raleigh.co.uk/bikes/large/TIRP51RD.jpg
http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=14&pg=8447

Why bother with a replica when you can have the real thing? (With tons of mod(ificat/erniz)ions?) Pimp

Monstercross wider bars -newer wheels -newer cranks -soma classic curve fork 1 threadless -avid v-brakes -v-brake specific levers tektro 520

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 at 8:45 Quote
ok guys... here my complete rebuild raleigh from early 20th century, new paintjob, sturmey kb6 3spd from 1918, schlumpf gearing in the front, brooks saddle n grips n lion bellworks bell, blb mudguards(just for style) etc. only 15.5kg(34.17lbs)

Nearly 100 years old Raleigh 650A Tires rebuild with schlumpf gearing n some nice stuff like original Sturmey KB6 3-spd from 1918 n Brooks saddle n grips etc.

Nearly 100 years old Raleigh 650A Tires rebuild with schlumpf gearing n some nice stuff like original Sturmey KB6 3-spd from 1918 n Brooks saddle n grips etc.

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 at 17:28 Quote
Got the touring bike that is 2x older than me ready to go Fitted with 2 frame bags 1 big pannier on the front and a reasonably large top bag in the back.

What is a good tough knobbly tire thats about 700 x 1.9 or 45c ish? I've got clearance up front to run more than the wtb nano 40c tires that I have been running (although currently running 33c challenge griffo's.)

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 at 18:02 Quote
My trusty Raleigh GP
[URL=http://s738.photobucket.com/user/rdunna88/media/IMG_20161113_113214_zpsuadoqnon.jpg.html][IMG]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/rdunna88/IMG_20161113_113214_zpsuadoqnon.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 1:38 Quote
Mattin wrote:
My 1991 Kona Cinder Cone. Sits at 9.7kg

My 1991 Kona Cinder Cone. Built as a fast commuter and for some offroad every now and then. Weighs 9.7kg.

My 1991 Kona Cinder Cone. Built as a fast commuter and for some offroad every now and then. Weighs 9.7kg. Close up shot of my XT cranks XTR rear hub and KHE Mac2 Dirt rear tyre.

That's exactly what I want. They don't come up too often on ebay in the UK though.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021607
Mobile Version of Website