Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2022 at 15:51 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
kmag76 wrote:
fredro wrote:
So my new Pivot arrived yesterday with a really short KMC 12spd chain (paired with a 10/52 cassette). My buddy who owns the shop says to throw another link or two on it and it should be fine. My other buddy who is helping me build it is saying to go with a new chain because you shouldn't add links to a 12spd chain because it can lead to problems. He says 12spd chains are too thin and strength can be compromised, especially on an ebike.

I have a new XO chain at the ready, but I was under the assumption you can always add links.
Thankfully, it's an inexpensive fix. Kinda annoyed that Pivot sent such a shortened chain to begin with.
Probably going to put the new SRAM chain on the Pivot, and keep the OEM KMC chain for a back up for my Megatower.

Suggestions?

It is fine run the extend the chain. Forbidden does it right from the factory

not with original links, it will snap in no time

an added piece of chain with an extra quick link

Posted: Nov 20, 2022 at 16:39 Quote
fredro wrote:
Yeah I'm gonna put the new chain to be safe.
Gonna whine to Pivot tomorrow for sending me such a cheap, short chain after spending $10k.

Tks for responses.
Cheers

They absolutely need to know! You’re not whining, you’re helping

Posted: Nov 20, 2022 at 17:27 Quote
I run many a chain with more than one quick link holding up repairs. Never had a break on the link.
Did not break any 12speed chains yet to try.
I would not tolerate too short chain if buying a complete bike. WTF is that shit.

Posted: Nov 20, 2022 at 19:36 Quote
Axxe wrote:
I run many a chain with more than one quick link holding up repairs. Never had a break on the link.
Did not break any 12speed chains yet to try.
I would not tolerate too short chain if buying a complete bike. WTF is that shit.

Posted: Nov 20, 2022 at 20:34 Quote
So, I went 203 post mount + 20mm adapter to clear my new 220mm rotor. Is that awful? Mocked it up. Can grind away 3mm of material or just buy the correct adapter.

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2022 at 20:43 Quote
Circe wrote:
So, I went 203 post mount + 20mm adapter to clear my new 220mm rotor. Is that awful? Mocked it up. Can grind away 3mm of material or just buy the correct adapter.

Done this many times, you will survive.. Also, only have to take 1.5mm off. Or something like that.

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2022 at 20:46 Quote
Circe wrote:

I do that. It works fine as is, but i took the adapter to a grinder and its been fine.

Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 13:56 Quote
Best Black Friday deals? My roundup

Crank brothers have 50% off shoes and wheels
Fast house had a couple of gloves at 70% off
100% had some stuff 50% off
Ibis with some cheap cassettes and cranks
Revel and Evil with mega bike deals
WTB had good tire discounts.

Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 14:31 Quote
That is a smokin' deal on those X01 cranks. Basically at or below cost.

Also, winning the weight game. New '23 Pike Ultimate coming. Excited to try Buttercups and the Charger 3.

Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 20:27 Quote
Forbidden had Druid frames and completes at a pretty steep discount too

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 21:38 Quote
riish wrote:
Forbidden had Druid frames and completes at a pretty steep discount too

Yup! Got mine recently. Good bike
XL druid blue steel with float x... Has been a fun frame swap down to another 130mm corner beast bike. Hasn't been falling apart yet!

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 2:27 Quote
Cane creek has 40% off everything

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 5:52 Quote
Noeserd wrote:

I wish cane creek made eeWing cranks for ebikes.

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 6:20 Quote
fredro wrote:
Noeserd wrote:

I wish cane creek made eeWing cranks for ebikes.

Same

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 7:12 Quote
Kinda weird they don’t at this point. I would assume they are coming this spring.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.039226
Mobile Version of Website