Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 18:43 Quote
Pmvasko wrote:
Anyone having any headtube creaking issues on their AL 2021/22 Patrol or Spire? Ive replaced mine with a new Cane Creek ZS56, greased, pressed & reassembled to proper torque spec etc and its still very creaky.

Get it reamed and faced to take care of any tolerance issues.

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 2:26 Quote
Pmvasko wrote:
Anyone having any headtube creaking issues on their AL 2021/22 Patrol or Spire? Ive replaced mine with a new Cane Creek ZS56, greased, pressed & reassembled to proper torque spec etc and its still very creaky.

I had a creaking Spire. New bearings on the stock headset solved it.

Have you checked it's not the fork CSU? Fingers crossed but something to check out.

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 7:47 Quote
Pmvasko wrote:

Yep, I just ordered a new cc headset as well, hoping it'll help. wondering if my bearing cups aren't right, I've had this bike for about 5 months, already the headset isn't smooth and doesn't feel great.

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 11:45 Quote
diggery wrote:
Pmvasko wrote:

I had a creaking Spire. New bearings on the stock headset solved it.

Have you checked it's not the fork CSU? Fingers crossed but something to check out.

As always, check everything else that could be creaky, too, especially if you've replaced the headset and not gotten any change. a lot of creaks from other areas will sound like they're coming from the headset.

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 15:19 Quote
Pmvasko wrote:

maybe grease the stem to where your bars connect, this may be causing some creaking.. I have not had a creaky headset on my patrol and I swap single crown and dual crown forks often, I always apply grease each time and I use clear grease for my stem and bars.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 3:54 Quote
Check all the usual stuff. Headset cups greased. Stem bolt heads (not threads) greased, and it could be the form CSU! Had that a few times on fox and rockshox forks of all ages

Posted: Aug 28, 2022 at 15:59 Quote
I'm looking to touch up the paint on my 2015 Smuggler, it's the Cyan and Black option. Does anyone know the paint RAL codes by any chance?

Posted: Sep 3, 2022 at 8:16 Quote
I’m torn between having two full sus mountain bikes. I’ve always had only one mountain bike.

Just bought a spire frame and hoping to build it up lightish to be my one and only ride. Considering an angle headset to steepen the HTA a degree, and adding lightweight components/carbon wheels.

The other part of me wants to build up a Spur and a Spire, but afraid I will not ever get to know either bike’s subtle nuances when splitting time between two bikes. I’d say I also prefer to be over biked, pedal 90% of the time, and ride bike park 10% of the time.

Currently on my second season on an evil offering. Love burly trail bikes. Any of you have experience running a big enduro bike and something like a spur? Do you miss having the trail bike that fits in between it all (offering, jeffsy, stumpy evo, etc)? First world problems, but any feedback appreciated

O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2022 at 8:53 Quote
I have the Spire Spur combo. Wouldn’t do it any other way. It’s perfect. Enduro bike and down country bike is the quiver for sure!

Posted: Sep 3, 2022 at 10:52 Quote
Sounds like you want a sentinel. Pedal all day and charge when you need to.

Posted: Sep 3, 2022 at 11:29 Quote
hukriede wrote:
I have the Spire Spur combo. Wouldn’t do it any other way. It’s perfect. Enduro bike and down country bike is the quiver for sure!

How often do you feel under biked or over biked? Or does it become pretty obvious what bike to take for the day? Sentinel as a one bike quiver I’m sure would be awesome too, but then I’m back to similar to what I’m riding right now (which is not a bad spot I guess)

Posted: Sep 3, 2022 at 11:42 Quote
skiwhore wrote:
I’m torn between having two full sus mountain bikes. I’ve always had only one mountain bike.

Just bought a spire frame and hoping to build it up lightish to be my one and only ride. Considering an angle headset to steepen the HTA a degree, and adding lightweight components/carbon wheels.

The other part of me wants to build up a Spur and a Spire, but afraid I will not ever get to know either bike’s subtle nuances when splitting time between two bikes. I’d say I also prefer to be over biked, pedal 90% of the time, and ride bike park 10% of the time.

Currently on my second season on an evil offering. Love burly trail bikes. Any of you have experience running a big enduro bike and something like a spur? Do you miss having the trail bike that fits in between it all (offering, jeffsy, stumpy evo, etc)? First world problems, but any feedback appreciated

I would have thought the Sentinel would have been a better option for a do it all bike. Love mine - plush with a coil and poppier trail bike feeling with the air shock. I do think the coil shock is probably better with a cascade link which I’m planning to buy shortly for a bit more bottom out resistance (2022 alloy sentinel).

Posted: Sep 3, 2022 at 15:14 Quote
skiwhore wrote:

Love burly trail bikes. Any of you have experience running a big enduro bike and something like a spur? Do you miss having the trail bike that fits in between it all (offering, jeffsy, stumpy evo, etc)? First world problems, but any feedback appreciated

I had a 2016 Patrol and also have a Cotic BFe steel hardtail that was build 90% the same as the Patrol, in fact the only difference is the frame and 140mm forks on the HT and 160 on the Patrol.

They had a pretty big overlap - the hardtail is really rowdy and the Patrol was getting me into trouble on steep gnarly stuff so I picked up a Spire, thinking it would be like a DH lite bike and I'd still ride my hardtail a lot.

I've ridden my hardtail twice this year! Spire does it all. DH tracks, trail rides, big days with lots of climbing, blue flow trails with my kid. Pedals better than the Patrol, descends better than my old DH bike.

I'd love a Spur for sure, but I am sure I'd ride the Spire much more.

Posted: Sep 4, 2022 at 3:51 Quote
I've got an old 2015 Smuggler and an Orbea Rallon. It's really nice having different bikes that are more suited to different spots/terrain. What's even better is that the Smuggler can be long shocked, giving it around 135mm rear travel, giving me 3 bikes in essence.

Posted: Sep 6, 2022 at 10:08 Quote
My current fleet of SBG goodnessBig Grin

The new dadmoped. 2022 Transition Repeater Carbon GX

new rubber on the steed Transition Scout hncoil

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019209
Mobile Version of Website