Powered by Outside

Ti springs

Posted: May 7, 2011 at 19:36 Quote
Ti has a better memory rettension then steel which translate to longer lasting performance.

Posted: Nov 2, 2011 at 20:07 Quote
so.... where the hell can u buy ti springs?!?!

Posted: Nov 3, 2011 at 12:36 Quote
yegs wrote:
since titanium springs have fewer coils i've found that you get a bit more leniency.
My bike originally came with a 350 x 3.25 spring and i am now running a 350 x 3.00 titanium spring with no issues. Also in regards to possibly needing a different spring rate, i can't give you a direct comparison because i opted for the titanium spring before my bike was even built up, but i do know that if you get the same spring rate in either steel or titanium, obviously they will have the same spring rate, but the titanium has a bit more of a linear feel whereas the steel spring is a little more progressive, nothing incredibly noticeable though.

how can a spring be progressive?

Posted: Nov 4, 2011 at 16:04 Quote
Can anyone tell me if the steel and ti are the same as ur weight... Like if i ride a #450 steel coil do i still ride a #450 ti? Or do i need to go up

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 4:51 Quote
you buy 450 ti if you run 450 steel

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 12:10 Quote
Cool thanks man

Posted: Nov 22, 2011 at 19:40 Quote
stryke wrote:
yegs wrote:
since titanium springs have fewer coils i've found that you get a bit more leniency.
My bike originally came with a 350 x 3.25 spring and i am now running a 350 x 3.00 titanium spring with no issues. Also in regards to possibly needing a different spring rate, i can't give you a direct comparison because i opted for the titanium spring before my bike was even built up, but i do know that if you get the same spring rate in either steel or titanium, obviously they will have the same spring rate, but the titanium has a bit more of a linear feel whereas the steel spring is a little more progressive, nothing incredibly noticeable though.

how can a spring be progressive?
A spring can be progressive if its meant to be but that quote is fuqd... dude doesn't know what he's saying. Material choice isn't what determines progressivity.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2011 at 19:37 Quote
Spring rate: refers to the amount of weight needed to compress a spring an inch (Example: 500 lb. per inch) To understand and properly check a spring for rate you need to know the factors that determine the rate of the spring. Fortunately, there are only three things that affect spring rate.

1. Wire diameter - This affects rate since greater diameter wire is stronger than lesser diameter wire. So, when wire diameter is increased, spring rate increases.

2. Mean diameter of spring - Mean diameter is the overall outside diameter of the spring less one wire diameter. When mean diameter increases, the spring rate decreases.

3. Active coils - Determination of the number of active coils varies according to spring design. Count the total coils minus two for springs with both ends closed. Count the total coils minus one for springs with one end closed and one end open. As the number of active coils increases, the spring rate decreases.

If a spring's rate is linear, its rate is not affected by the load put onto the spring. For example, a linear rate spring rated at 500 lb. per inch will compress 1" when a 500 lb. weight is placed onto the spring. If another 500 lb. weight is put onto the spring the spring will compress another inch. At this point the load on the spring has increased to 1000 pounds. The rate of the spring, however, remains constant at 500 lb. per inch.

If the load put onto a spring increases the rate of the spring, the spring is said to have a progressive rate. Keep in mind that the load (or preload) put onto a progressive rate spring can greatly increase the rate of the spring.

Progressive rate springs are made by varying the spacing between the springs' active coils. During compression the close coils bottom out and deaden. This reduces the amount of active coils and spring rate increases as a result.

Springs that are designed to include coils of different diameter or are wound using a tapered wire will also produce a progressive rate.

Posted: Nov 23, 2011 at 21:39 Quote
Cool story bro... way to copy and paste a bunch of irrelevant information from a stock car racing website.

Facepalm

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2011 at 6:10 Quote
Wow, how relevant to point that out.

It provides some interesting information that some may find interesting or useful.
Perhaps not you of course and in that case it's best just to keep shut.

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2011 at 6:13 Quote
Just had a look back at some previous posts, man you are an idiot.

"Material choice isn't what determines progressiveness"

Okay well just to enlighten everyone on your post, I posted something with information regarding the subject you were discussing. I don't know how you got up on that high horse and began criticizing me too- it's not like I disagreed with you.

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 at 0:09 Quote
runner wrote:
550 lbs is 550 lbs, a 550 lb spring made of cheese would still have a rate of 550 lbs.

Agree with it... spring lbs is exactly the same in steel or in titanium spring.
Mainly difference is the "WEIGHT".... Titanium spring can lose 30% weight off than steel.
e.g.: 550lbs in 2.75" from Spring Time is ~398g.

At the beginning, titanium is use in aircraft industry for offering stable, light, safety product on it.
Then, people use it on the racing.... After people know how to reduce its manufacturing cost for wide market, then it is here.
Moreover, titanium spring can offer longer usage life than steel, and improvement the performance as riding.
So... that is why so much people get interesting in it.
-------------------
http://www.rentoncoilspring.com/performance/why_titanium/
http://www.springtime.vg/titanium-0.html

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 at 0:15 Quote
Really depend on manufactory.. But most company, no matter to offer steel or ti, they will consider the bike space & shock length... You can ask vender as you want to buy.

----------------------------------
http://www.dsp-racing.com
http://www.springtime.vg

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 at 8:40 Quote
Drood wrote:
Just had a look back at some previous posts, man you are an idiot.

"Material choice isn't what determines progressiveness"

Okay well just to enlighten everyone on your post, I posted something with information regarding the subject you were discussing. I don't know how you got up on that high horse and began criticizing me too- it's not like I disagreed with you.
Are you talking to me? The moron that can't figure out how to quote the post to which he's referring is calling me an idiot... that's funny shit there.

As for the rest of that crybaby rant and the "enlightenment", I don't even know wtf you're talking about... material choice doesn't determine progressivity so there's no flaw in that statment. As for criticizing you... I don't recall doing it but judging from this post, I wouldn't be surprised if you'd said something else stupid and were criticized for it but I'm sure it was well earned. Learn to form complete thoughts and translate those to your posts and its all good. Now quit your crying...

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 at 8:50 Quote
christineliao wrote:
runner wrote:
550 lbs is 550 lbs, a 550 lb spring made of cheese would still have a rate of 550 lbs.

Agree with it... spring lbs is exactly the same in steel or in titanium spring.
Mainly difference is the "WEIGHT".... Titanium spring can lose 30% weight off than steel.
e.g.: 550lbs in 2.75" from Spring Time is ~398g.

At the beginning, titanium is use in aircraft industry for offering stable, light, safety product on it.
Then, people use it on the racing.... After people know how to reduce its manufacturing cost for wide market, then it is here.
Moreover, titanium spring can offer longer usage life than steel, and improvement the performance as riding.
So... that is why so much people get interesting in it.
-------------------
http://www.rentoncoilspring.com/performance/why_titanium/
http://www.springtime.vg/titanium-0.html

Ti is better then steel because:

It has a longer life before failure (minor worry really)

It makes for little more sensitive spring (which means your suspension will stick to the ground better with better small bump compliance)

Its lighter then a steel spring of the same length.

So you get a a shock that feels smoother and lighter by adding a Ti spring. Nothing else.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.045810
Mobile Version of Website