Powered by Outside

Norco Sight 170/157mm

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Sight 170/157mm
O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2023 at 3:52 Quote
2020 sight A1 large.
Ran 170/157mm for an alps trip last year.
The 157mm rear mod is a no brainer for me, still set sag to 150mm travel level with less harsh bottom outs.
Worked well, bb felt high not really to bad.
Dropped bars 5mm.
Rear end was a struggle as it gobbled travel, ended up with many tokens in the shock, felt meh.
Seat angle was slack, slammed saddle forward and was fine.

Now at 160/157mm with mullet set up.
No angle headset, 165mm cranks.
Reach is a bit shorter ~5/6mm
HA is slack as an enduro bike at 63.5
Bb is low but not the lowest I've seen, stubby cranks help.
Dropped bars like 10mm from the 160/157mm 29/29 so feels pretty similar fit to the 170/157 29/29 setup just lower bb.
Megneg fitted now makes it sit a little higher in the travel too doesn't hurt, also more support mid stroke, pumping bike is less wallowy and not fighting for bottomout support.

Big fan of this setup, the mullet/megneg makes the bike want to play more, probs slower for most/fast trails but for me and the steeps and tight we have it feels right!

Played around a lot, anyone else on a similar setup?

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 1, 2023 at 3:59 Quote
spudlord wrote:
2020 sight A1 large.
Ran 170/157mm for an alps trip last year.
The 157mm rear mod is a no brainer for me, still set sag to 150mm travel level with less harsh bottom outs.
Worked well, bb felt high not really to bad.
Dropped bars 5mm.
Rear end was a struggle as it gobbled travel, ended up with many tokens in the shock, felt meh.
Seat angle was slack, slammed saddle forward and was fine.

Now at 160/157mm with mullet set up.
No angle headset, 165mm cranks.
Reach is a bit shorter ~5/6mm
HA is slack as an enduro bike at 63.5
Bb is low but not the lowest I've seen, stubby cranks help.
Dropped bars like 10mm from the 160/157mm 29/29 so feels pretty similar fit to the 170/157 29/29 setup just lower bb.
Megneg fitted now makes it sit a little higher in the travel too doesn't hurt, also more support mid stroke, pumping bike is less wallowy and not fighting for bottomout support.

Big fan of this setup, the mullet/megneg makes the bike want to play more, probs slower for most/fast trails but for me and the steeps and tight we have it feels right!

Played around a lot, anyone else on a similar setup?

When measuring your bb with this set up, where does the height land? Any way to please post a measurement for us?

Posted: May 11, 2023 at 17:18 Quote
razzle wrote:
I had Fluid Function do a special tune on my shock last year, I thought I'd get his advice before trying a MegNeg, here's what he had to say

"The original tune in your shock would have been overpowered by the Megneg's increased air pressure; with your tuned shock it will work well together."

My MegNeg setup is 25% more psi then the standard aircan for 30% sag. No negative bands and 1 positive token. I've only gone for 1 ride, so hard to comment on setup up, but definitely notice improved small bump compliance, used most of my travel (3mm left) and no bottom out.
Mid-stroke definitely wasn't harsh, need to do a janker trail to get a better opinion.

What is your final setup?

O+ FL
Posted: May 12, 2023 at 9:27 Quote
I’ve tried a bunch of different setups and got fixated on the increased psi(above the 20% increase sram states). I started putting more negative bands(3) in to lower psi closer to 20%. I started getting analysis paralysis, so I contacted Fluid Function to get some advice. He stated that increase in psi(from SRAMs 20%)was about right for the Sight and not to worry about increased psi. He recommended 30% sag(270psi, 25% increase in psi from standard can), 1 negative band and zero positive volume reducer. I also slowed my rebound. Was at 8 now down to 6, not getting bucked anymore. This has been the best setup so far, and I’m finished experimenting. I’m happy with this setup.

Hope this is helpful.

Posted: May 12, 2023 at 9:43 Quote
razzle wrote:
I’ve tried a bunch of different setups and got fixated on the increased psi(above the 20% increase sram states). I started putting more negative bands(3) in to lower psi closer to 20%. I started getting analysis paralysis, so I contacted Fluid Function to get some advice. He stated that increase in psi(from SRAMs 20%)was about right for the Sight and not to worry about increased psi. He recommended 30% sag(270psi, 25% increase in psi from standard can), 1 negative band and zero positive volume reducer. I also slowed my rebound. Was at 8 now down to 6, not getting bucked anymore. This has been the best setup so far, and I’m finished experimenting. I’m happy with this setup.

Hope this is helpful.

Yes thanks. I will start at your setup.

O+ FL
Posted: May 12, 2023 at 9:59 Quote
I’m sure you’re aware but I’ll mention it again, Fluid Function did a special tune prior to the megneg

O+ FL
Posted: May 12, 2023 at 10:17 Quote
razzle wrote:
I’m sure you’re aware but I’ll mention it again, Fluid Function did a special tune prior to the megneg

Do you have more details on what they did?

My guess is that the retune would mainly be to deal with differences in rebound due to the higher pressure run with the MegNeg.

I think I mentioned this elsewhere in the thread, but I preferred the stock can over the MegNeg on the Sight.

O+ FL
Posted: May 12, 2023 at 10:20 Quote
Figured I'd throw in my 2c, I have a fox x2 with max tokens and it never had the suppleness for me with midstroke and bottom out, couldn't find a good mix. Ended up getting a cascade link and it made the rear end better in every way. Support and bottom out, plus better grip.I've also got a coil kitsuma but had to order a spring and waiting on that.

O+ FL
Posted: May 12, 2023 at 10:47 Quote
DMal wrote:
razzle wrote:

Do you have more details on what they did?

My guess is that the retune would mainly be to deal with differences in rebound due to the higher pressure run with the MegNeg.

I think I mentioned this elsewhere in the thread, but I preferred the stock can over the MegNeg on the Sight.

I can’t remember exactly what they did, that was almost 2 yrs ago. I found the invoice and it says changes to Lin. I got the megneg a year later. Fluid Function states that if I didn’t have that tune he wouldn’t recommend the megneg.

"The original tune in your shock would have been overpowered by the Megneg's increased air pressure; with your tuned shock it will work well together."

Posted: May 12, 2023 at 16:15 Quote
razzle wrote:

I do understand.

My Super Deluxe was a unit that I bought from a store. I did your setup. First try around the house feel good. I will test it on the trail tomorrow.

Thanks again

Posted: May 14, 2023 at 7:30 Quote
razzle wrote:

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for sharing, it works great for me also. I might try 1 volume spacer and 2 bands later for comparison. But this set up is much better than the regular can and 3,5 volume spacer.

Now I get more. Mid stroke support, less pedal strike and the rear is now more lively or playful. I got full travel yesterday but I did not feel it.

Posted: May 28, 2023 at 16:11 Quote
Two days of bike park and I am bottoming. I added a volume spacer and I will see how it goes next weekend.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 9, 2023 at 22:52 Quote
Would anyone be interested in buying a cascade link, located in north Vancouver?

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 19, 2023 at 19:00 Quote
iridedj wrote:
Would anyone be interested in buying a cascade link, located in north Vancouver?

What colour and price?
Been on the fence for a while. Could be a buyer at the right price

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 20, 2023 at 10:05 Quote
Dwarfmarine wrote:
iridedj wrote:

What colour and price?
Been on the fence for a while. Could be a buyer at the right price
Sold it!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.033348
Mobile Version of Website