Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 21:32 Quote
I put a -2 angle set in my 2019 process 153 and it greatly improved the bike all around. The only downside was the "effective reach" got a bit shorter. I had to run a slightly longer stem (45mm) to get it back.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 10:44 Quote
Has anyone tried to overstroke their process? I currently have a 2019 process 153 dl. My new running idea is to overstroke the bike, which will compensate for running a 27.5 rear wheel. Paired with adding a 170mm fork, and maybe an angleset in the future, I'm hoping this would all check out. Of course this is just what my smooth teenage brain is coming up with.

Posted: Dec 14, 2022 at 10:20 Quote
Hey all,got my Process 153 last Sept and absolutely love it.
My first full sus bike,ride it a lot and made a good few upgrades already.
Big step recently a 2023 RS coil installed on the bike,3 rides in,try to figure it out what's what.
At the moment running a 425 lbs spring giving just about 25 ish sag.
I'm a
85 kg/ 187 lbs rider fully kitted and looking for more sag tbh,would be aiming 28-30 tbh.

Question would be pls if anyone running a coil on this version of the bike what spring rate yous using?

Would be great if riders would list lbs of spring,rider weight fully kitted and much sag they're getting.
Thx in advance

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2022 at 23:26 Quote
I'm 82kg and running a 500-610 progressive on mine on a fox dhx2 2020 Cr dl 29 reccomend by j tech suspension and it feels bob on.
Had a 450 and it wallowed horribly, 500 was OK but gobbled through its travel.

Doesn't really help I know but spring rates are rarely anything like accurate so you could actually get more sag with a "450" spring than your current 425.

Posted: Dec 20, 2022 at 15:50 Quote
I ran a 500lbs spring on mine... for literally 1 trail. I'm 150lbs. I bottomed out wayyyy too often on small impacts. Quickly went back to my air shock filled with spacers. (I was gladly testing someone else's coil shock to see if I'd like it, decided I didn't want to spend time finding the right spring rate and potentially need the cascade link to increase progressivity)

edit: on a 2019 CR/DL 27.5

Posted: Dec 20, 2022 at 15:54 Quote
Otto-Tobin wrote:
Has anyone tried to overstroke their process? I currently have a 2019 process 153 dl. My new running idea is to overstroke the bike, which will compensate for running a 27.5 rear wheel. Paired with adding a 170mm fork, and maybe an angleset in the future, I'm hoping this would all check out. Of course this is just what my smooth teenage brain is coming up with.

I had a 2019 CR/DL, to make it satisfying I had to change:
-a -1 degree angleset
-a 50mm stem (to length reach)
-stuff as many spacers as possible in the rear shock, to stop bottoming out all day long
-170mm fork, to keep the geo in a good spot but was also glad to get the extra comfort/grip

Posted: Dec 21, 2022 at 4:20 Quote
pqbb wrote:
Otto-Tobin wrote:

-a -1 degree angleset
-stuff as many spacers as possible in the rear shock, to stop bottoming out all day long
-170mm fork, to keep the geo in a good spot but was also glad to get the extra comfort/grip

My setup is similar:

- 1deg angleset
- 170 mm fork
-Megneg Shock to get progression dialed
- 2,5 mm overstoke ( actually when doing full shock service you can change spacers to get the shock to anyhting between 57,5 and 65 mm stroke , The shock total length and hence Bottom bracket height is not changing). The 27,5 version has plenty of clearence, so my one is now a Process 160..

Putting a 27,5 wheel on 29 Process, you want to raise the bottom bracket again. Put a Offset bushing on the lower shox mount and a 170 mm fork without angle set ! The angle set would lower the bottom bracket further.. and the lower rear end will slacken your steering angle anyhow.

But do you know what.. Just give it a try :-)

Posted: Jan 22, 2023 at 1:51 Quote
Hi guys, I've a 153 29 and the Float needs some repairs. Rather than spend £150 odd getting it fixed, I've been looking at spending more on upgrading to an X2. Problem is, it looks like the 153 take a 60mm stroke and the X2 I see for sale is a 62.5mm stroke. The risk obviously is clearance against the seat tube. Had anyone overstroked the frame this way? Will it fit? I'll have a look at my shock by dropping all the air pressure out and seeing what the clearance is like but it's hard to know how much more the 2.5 mm of stroke will translate to.
Unless maybe... 153/60 = 2.5mm of travel per 1mm of stroke. 2.5 of wheel travel x 2.5 extra stroke 6mm of additional wheel travel.

It's really not much is it... There must be half a centimeter of tolerance in the clearance!?

Posted: Jan 22, 2023 at 2:39 Quote
Just checked the bike with no pressure and clearance looks good. About 15mm between the brave and dear tube. Loads of clearance between tyre and saddle at my lowest position. I took photos but didn't seem to be able to add them... At gm least from mobile anyway...

Posted: Jan 22, 2023 at 10:28 Quote
X2's are a money pit. Require service all to often and you can't do anything as an owner. Has to go to the shop for even air can seals.

What year is your bike? Is the damper blown in the float or just the air can seals?

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 8:45 Quote
airhaenz wrote:
pqbb wrote:
Otto-Tobin wrote:

-a -1 degree angleset

My setup is similar:

- 1deg angleset
- 170 mm fork
-Megneg Shock to get progression dialed
- 2,5 mm overstoke ( actually when doing full shock service you can change spacers to get the shock to anyhting between 57,5 and 65 mm stroke , The shock total length and hence Bottom bracket height is not changing). The 27,5 version has plenty of clearence, so my one is now a Process 160..

Putting a 27,5 wheel on 29 Process, you want to raise the bottom bracket again. Put a Offset bushing on the lower shox mount and a 170 mm fork without angle set ! The angle set would lower the bottom bracket further.. and the lower rear end will slacken your steering angle anyhow.

But do you know what.. Just give it a try :-)

Thank you for the advice! Where does one acquire an offset bushing?

Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 1:59 Quote
eshew wrote:
X2's are a money pit. Require service all to often and you can't do anything as an owner. Has to go to the shop for even air can seals.

What year is your bike? Is the damper blown in the float or just the air can seals?

Hmm unknown. It was a second hand purchase a few years ago. The shock runs fine but the lockout no longer operates. It's not an urgent change but if I'm going to spend on the repair, I can put the money toward an upgrade. I'll have a look for a thread on X2s and work out if it's going to be for me or now - thanks for the hint

Posted: May 29, 2023 at 10:34 Quote
My bike is a Kona Process AL 153 DL 27.5
Like many, I have just discovered this forum page. While I have yet to read through the entire thread, there is lots of great info here.
Like buddymtb, I also believe this to be an underrated, and under sold platform. In my limited experience with other brands, seems like all of them take some getting used to.

I bought mine used, and after getting a few of the PO’s mods straightened out, and adding a few changes of my own, it is really starting to shine. Like my other 2 Kona’s I really like the OEM build with a couple exceptions: mostly MB trends which I have yet to adopt.

1) I ride more trials type stuff, and we have some good trails locally in the black spruce forest (Taiga) , which have lots of roots, which due to the crank arm length -175 mm more of a supplier issue- which result in lots of pedal strikes, of course this is a changeable issue and had I purchased it new, it would have been sorted before I rolled it out the door. Easy fix I just ordered a new crankset with 170mm arms.
2) another ‘enjoyable’ facet of riding in the Taiga, is random bogs, my solution was to change it over to a 2x11 spd by adding a front derailleur and second chainring. Of course I am a dinosaur, but the additional gearing makes the surprise of an unexpected bog more of an opportunity to ride instead of push through it.

Future upgrades might include wider tube type wheels- can’t really get used to the tubeless set up , and having to always top them up- still researching which way to go on that issue.
Might change over to Avid cable disc brakes, everything else in the stable has them , and I like the familiarity and ease of adjustment.
I like a wider tire and rim, so I’m looking to get a set of wheels built for some Maxxis might try the matched set of DHR &?
If I remember correctly, the widest tire I can put on the rear is a 2.3- 2.4”?
Would like to get rims with about a 30mm or so width.
Any suggestions? Open to all! Lots of great info out there.
My riding background ranges from desert to forest to some sub alpine rides, I have been riding mountain bikes since I got my first MTB - a Nashbar Terra XT back in 85’ still love riding but like anything els it always takes a few adjustments to get it right.
Cheers all
I guess I have to wait a couple days to post photos,

O+
Posted: May 30, 2023 at 5:09 Quote
I'm just here to say I have a 2022 Process 153 27.5 in size Medium & Kona really are idiots.

The water bottle mount that doubles as cable guide...you can't put a water bottle on it.

The water bottle base HITS the shock AND the water spout hits the frame.

So...they made a bike that you can't put a water bottle on with mounts. How stupid do you have to be???

Posted: May 31, 2023 at 5:27 Quote
blowmyfuse wrote:
I'm just here to say I have a 2022 Process 153 27.5 in size Medium & Kona really are idiots.

The water bottle mount that doubles as cable guide...you can't put a water bottle on it.

The water bottle base HITS the shock AND the water spout hits the frame.

So...they made a bike that you can't put a water bottle on with mounts. How stupid do you have to be???

You can get a smaller bottle or a bigger frame Razz

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014618
Mobile Version of Website