Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Aug 15, 2023 at 11:37 Quote
eshew wrote:
hhhanson wrote:
Justachillin2 wrote:

Nothing changed on them though. The 2018 is the same as this years minus a few tweaks here and there. The G3 will be all new and more in line with process x with the adjustable chain stays, mullet capabilities. The G3 was supposed to be a 2022 but never made it due to Covid mess. Had one on order for a customer back in 2021 that never came and still isn’t here

As a multi-generation process owner, the time has come for me to turn my back. I saw the new G3's and the geo charts. nothing extreme. Very middle of the road and expensive. Seems like they are just trying to copy some other bikes out there. Kona has fallen off...

Nothing aside from an entirely new frame that is completely incompatible. Sure the parts are similar, they are bike parts.

2020 kona

It’s still not a gen 3 process, it’s still a gen 2. I use to sell them. Small geo changes, different rocker still the same bike essentially. Wait a few months and they will release the gen 3. I had them on pre order for almost 2 years now. Not sure what else to tell you.

Posted: Aug 15, 2023 at 11:41 Quote
I'll meet you half way at G2.5 Wink

Posted: Aug 15, 2023 at 11:42 Quote
eshew wrote:
I'll meet you half way at G2.5 Wink

Big Grin here is the new G3 found on another forum.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0709/1837/3691/products/process_153_cr.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0709/1837/3691/products/process_153_cr_dl1.jpg

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2023 at 6:30 Quote
blowmyfuse wrote:
I'm just here to say I have a 2022 Process 153 27.5 in size Medium & Kona really are idiots.

The water bottle mount that doubles as cable guide...you can't put a water bottle on it.

The water bottle base HITS the shock AND the water spout hits the frame.

So...they made a bike that you can't put a water bottle on with mounts. How stupid do you have to be???

I have the same issue (Med 22 29er frame, see my profile) but a DB Kitsuma Coil w/ a massive piggyback. I removed the stock cable guides, stacked two presta nuts per bolt, and used the Wolftooth Double Bottle Mount and Dog Bone, with a Fidlock adapter mounted on that. The bottle sticks out to the side, but works. I wouldn't use it for DH/Park riding but for everything else it's actually pretty decent.

Fidlock mount on 22 Process 153 Side Mount w Wolftooth Double Bottle Adapter Dog Bone stacked on 2 Presta nuts removing stock cable guide.
Fidlock 22 Process 153 Side Mount w Wolftooth Double Bottle Adapter Dog Bone stacked on 2 Presta nuts removing stock cable guide.

balazsgalambos wrote:
Hey all,got my Process 153 last Sept and absolutely love it.
My first full sus bike,ride it a lot and made a good few upgrades already.
Big step recently a 2023 RS coil installed on the bike,3 rides in,try to figure it out what's what.
At the moment running a 425 lbs spring giving just about 25 ish sag.
I'm a
85 kg/ 187 lbs rider fully kitted and looking for more sag tbh,would be aiming 28-30 tbh.

Question would be pls if anyone running a coil on this version of the bike what spring rate yous using?

Would be great if riders would list lbs of spring,rider weight fully kitted and much sag they're getting.
Thx in advance

I have a DB Kitsuma Coil, w/ 500-550 Sprindex Coil. I am about 215lbs geared up. Sitting around 28-30% sag at 500. The bike is SO much better with a lockout for climbing, but I'm not convinced on the springrate (500) yet. It soaks up chunk with ease, only bottoms a few times each run on big square edge hits or drops. I think for climbing (to improve it) I might try it at 550, and see how it compromises the downhill. The bike could use some more pop, it's pretty dead for preloading/jumping currently. Henry Quinster ran 24% sag and liked it, so maybe that would help my case. If that doesn't work I'm going to try a progressive spring, but not sure if 500-610 would be an improvement, as the Springdex springs are already a bit progressive.

UPDATE: Last night I measured sag again at 31% at 500lb and 28% at 550lb. So I'd need ~615lb to get down to 24%. Guess I'm buying another spring Big Grin

Side note, I also have a 170 Z1 Coil on the front, probably part of the reason my bike doesn't climb as well. But it bombs on the roughest tracks (soaks chunk at Bolton and Sugarbush).

Posted: Oct 25, 2023 at 2:17 Quote
Kona Process 153 DL 2022 - Review and Opinions? First full suspension (3 years hardtail Kona Honzo)

I'm considering acquiring a Kona Process 153 DL 2022 and would like to know the community's thoughts.
- The frame has some scratches.
- The drivetrain is a new Shimano 11-speed 11-51 cassette, replacing the 12-speed SRAM NX Eagle.
- Suspension maintenance was performed just 100 km ago. (they say)
- The tires are in good condition, with Maxxis Assegai EXO TR 3C 29x2.5" WT at 80% tread and Maxxis Dissector EXO TR 29x2.4" WT at 60% tread.
- The brakes will need new pads and probably an upgrade to the brakes (SRAM G2 RS). - The hubs are in good working order. - The price is €2.2K (euro). (In my bugget)
- Personally, I felt that the suspension may need some adjustments, but I like the bike's geometry.

Additional Considerations:
- When inspecting the bike, what are the key aspects to look for?
- What's your opinion on the need for suspension adjustments? - Is it a good business?
- How about brake performance?
- My type of riding is suffering going up to send it going down. (only mountain)
- Should I search more and try other bikes? Opinions and Feedback:
If you have any opinions or feedback regarding the Kona Process 153 DL 2022, please share! Smile
Not in a hurry to buy Wink

https://ibb.co/ZV4hC7W
https://ibb.co/3mKqXnN
https://ibb.co/LtjDdmN

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2023 at 5:01 Quote
Justachillin2 wrote:
trajanc wrote:
Any idea if a 203mm rotor would work on the rear of a Process 153 29er? XL if it makes a difference. I see they are used on the X. Wondering about base AL frame.

Of course, with the right brake mount adapter.

Run a Magura 203 on my XL and its all good

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2023 at 6:35 Quote
Farracho wrote:
Kona Process 153 DL 2022 - Review and Opinions? First full suspension (3 years hardtail Kona Honzo)

I'm considering acquiring a Kona Process 153 DL 2022 and would like to know the community's thoughts.

I would say go for it. If you're looking for a bomber, burly, winch and plummet bike, this is a good option, without having to go to the Process X (which doesn't climb as well). As I mentioned above, mine is a full coil build (Z1 170 Fr, DB Kitsuma Coil Rr), and it crushes the roughest stuff I've ever ridden (Stuff I had problems riding with my 16' 134). I have Magura MT7s on mine, so can't comment on SRAM brakes. FWIW I've had no issues with the MT7s and they slow me down quick. For the rest, I also have TR37s on 101 hubs (also bomber) and the standard Assegai/DHRII combo. The bike is a bruiser, I wouldn't have it any other way.

From reviews I've read that the standard Super Deluxe Select + isn't quite as supportive or capable when you're pushing the bike, so I would consider upgrading the shock (or have it tuned). The rest I think you'd find will work until it wears out and you're ready to upgrade. I'd check if the wheels wobble, the bike shifts up and down the range, all the climb switch/rebound/compression knobs work, and that the brakes work. You can check pivots by taking the frame in one hand and tire in the other, and push them side-to-side to try and twist the frame and detect any movement. If it feels solid they're good for now.

Posted: Nov 1, 2023 at 11:00 Quote
Anyone using a MegNeg with a Cascade Link ?

Trying to fine tune the rear end of my '19 CR & the Cascade Link has gone a LONG way towards getting things where I want it. With the price of the MegNeg's being pretty cheap at the moment especially compared to just new seals. I was thinking about giving it a shot.

From what I've read going 2 bands and minimum spacers might be a good way to go along with 20% more psi.

I'm running a regular can with a large spacer at the moment & the ramp up is a little too aggressive, overwhelming the high speed rebound deep in the stroke.

Posted: Nov 6, 2023 at 9:33 Quote
hi folks,

new on here, i have just bought a 2021 al process 153 29.
it has a little play in the bottom bracket, the part is sram dub pf92, but on some websites they also list a wide version, iam assuming i dont need the wide one?? the bike has sram sx cranks.
also what removal tools and press tools do i need for this job, and do any of the tools do other jobs on the bike ie frame or headset bearings?
many thanks carl

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2023 at 11:43 Quote
Carlmtb21 wrote:
dub pf92, but on some websites they also list a wide version, iam assuming i dont need the wide one??

I believe the "wide" bit in a dub BB is in relation to the plastic spacer tube and cranks. I think it's only really relevant to road bikes - wide being standard mtb spacing.

In practice for the mtb, just reuse the existing spacer tube if needed. (I can't remember if there is one in a pf 92 dub)

Posted: Nov 7, 2023 at 15:33 Quote
Bleatbleat wrote:
Carlmtb21 wrote:
dub pf92, but on some websites they also list a wide version, iam assuming i dont need the wide one??

I believe the "wide" bit in a dub BB is in relation to the plastic spacer tube and cranks. I think it's only really relevant to road bikes - wide being standard mtb spacing.

In practice for the mtb, just reuse the existing spacer tube if needed. (I can't remember if there is one in a pf 92 dub)

cool thanks for the replySmile

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2023 at 4:07 Quote
Carlmtb21 wrote:
hi folks,

new on here, i have just bought a 2021 al process 153 29.

also what removal tools and press tools do i need for this job, and do any of the tools do other jobs on the bike ie frame or headset bearings?
many thanks carl

I haven’t come across any presses that do the same job. But these two press kits are affordable and make the jobs 100% easier. I recommend an actual headset press as the rod is larger diameter and better for stabilizing/pressing the large headset cups. (Also achievable via threaded rods/washers)

BB press - 5 minute BB job (I've used on my 134 and 153 BB92 BBs)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Q2XS5CS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Pivot bearing press kit
https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Bearing-Installation-Assembly-Tool-25pcs/dp/B09GKG2F88/

My enduro pivot bearing press was 5x the price of the one above. But looks almost identical.

Posted: Nov 9, 2023 at 7:31 Quote
I have the 2nd one on the list, it's great for the money. Have used it a ton.

Posted: Nov 9, 2023 at 8:54 Quote
I think Wheels Manufacturing makes a headset press that's compatible with their BB press bushings as well.

Posted: Nov 12, 2023 at 11:46 Quote
cool thanks for the replies, il have to get one of those sets, seems there is always something i need to buy!!! lol.
liking the bike a lot, its a big step up from my 2006 GT xcr i drive 26er,
i probably need to get the suspension dialed in a bit better in time.
thanks again carl

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018199
Mobile Version of Website