The morzine-les gets thread

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
The morzine-les gets thread
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 10:28 Quote
HarryStenner94 wrote:
Advice for first timers regarding which runs to start with? We’re all quite new to mtb (around 1 year) but fairly comfortable in the air on doubles and drops and manage all the reds at Bike park wales and Forest of Dean easily but having never been before don’t wanna push too hard for the first few days!

Heading over for a week on the 14th, the excitement is too much

Super morzine tracks are an ideal warm up or head over to Les Gets.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 10:37 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:
HarryStenner94 wrote:
Advice for first timers regarding which runs to start with? We’re all quite new to mtb (around 1 year) but fairly comfortable in the air on doubles and drops and manage all the reds at Bike park wales and Forest of Dean easily but having never been before don’t wanna push too hard for the first few days!

I second SM, I always go to Soylent Green and Stand High Patrol, then once I have found my "groove" I move over to the main tracks on SM, cant remember names but the ones you can see from the lift. Also the Green on Les Gets is pretty fun, then you go onto the blues and reds on Nauchettes side of Les Gets. Chavannes main line is overrated in my opinion, very busy, loads of braking bumps especially the lower half, top half not so bad. Take it easy, its very tempting to go all out on your first day and end up breaking yourself or your bike!! loads of people have done it including me.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 10:52 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:
HarryStenner94 wrote:

I second SM, I always go to Soylent Green and Stand High Patrol, then once I have found my "groove" I move over to the main tracks on SM, cant remember names but the ones you can see from the lift. Also the Green on Les Gets is pretty fun, then you go onto the blues and reds on Nauchettes side of Les Gets. Chavannes main line is overrated in my opinion, very busy, loads of braking bumps especially the lower half, top half not so bad. Take it easy, its very tempting to go all out on your first day and end up breaking yourself or your bike!! loads of people have done it including me.

Wow thanks for the replies guys! I think we’re all keen to ease into it gently so will definitely be taking your advice! Stand high patrol has been on my radar since we booked the trip, can’t wait to hit that line. We’re considering driving over to the Swiss side for a day rather than traverse the lifts and risk getting stuck... does this seem sensible? Is it even worth going over and checking out morgins etc? Heard mixed reviews

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 11:08 Quote
andydd wrote:
marcusd09 wrote:
andydd wrote:

Can be quiet at times as Morzine is a small place and only the big events that bring in huge numbers.

Plenty do happy hours to catch the apres bike crowd..5-7ish....my fave is Haka bar, Cottage used to be the most popular (various pros/teams there) but thats now gone, Aubergade is taking over as replacement ?, - worth going on Tuesday for bring your own meat BBQs, Sherpa bar also does BBQs Weds & sat and is one of my fave..but its small friendly place.

Rogers is a riding institution...and is the place to be after unofficial events down Pleney or the SuperM whip off.

Chaud and Hideout Hostel do some late(r) night music events...worth going to Dixie for Dixie Micks when they play Smile

Opera is the late night club..best description I saw is "its full of underage french schoolgirls", Cavern can bit hit n miss, Crepu & Bec have a more local later night crowd.

Nice one pal, after a full day riding im done by about 12 haha , we always do haka bar happy hour

Yeah me too...Mr bat fastard must be a party animal Smile anyway..ive got rented room for the summer above a bar (coup de cour) so that enough.

Used to be 20 years ago, igloo in Les gets was where action was then, opened at 1, staggered home for 6 out on bike for 9.. can do a 2 or 3amer now Tuesday night used to be a drum n base night for the jail bait down in bottom bar..

from 6 years ago yikes...
photo

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 12:01 Quote
HarryStenner94 wrote:
thedad71 wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:

Wow thanks for the replies guys! I think we’re all keen to ease into it gently so will definitely be taking your advice! Stand high patrol has been on my radar since we booked the trip, can’t wait to hit that line. We’re considering driving over to the Swiss side for a day rather than traverse the lifts and risk getting stuck... does this seem sensible? Is it even worth going over and checking out morgins etc? Heard mixed reviews
I would give Chatel a go, you can ride over from SM, takes around an hour but mostly downhill to the lift then up to Chatel, some good blue tracks there, People and Serpentine if I remember, the blacks are too much for me!!

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 12:58 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
HarryStenner94 wrote:
thedad71 wrote:

I would give Chatel a go, you can ride over from SM, takes around an hour but mostly downhill to the lift then up to Chatel, some good blue tracks there, People and Serpentine if I remember, the blacks are too much for me!!
Not ridden it in a few years but there are some good blacks, try bike patrol and 'chanada' if they're still going.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 14:24 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
HarryStenner94 wrote:
thedad71 wrote:

Will have to try those then, I think the blacks will probably be a little too much for us this trip too!

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 22:59 Quote
I always enjoy the blues and reds in Les gets to start with. I was initially disappointed with pleny, not much signposted and got lost a bit, seems to be quite a few secret trails but I've never found them.
There from Wednesday for 10 days.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 23:55 Quote
Secret trails are easy to find, just look for gaps in the tree's Smile

Posted: Jun 29, 2018 at 1:27 Quote
HarryStenner94 wrote:

In Morzine ?, then Id pay respect and do Pleney for first go......I love the Blue...this is from top of Pleney go left and do firetrack > into short wood bit > back on firetrack and the blue starts there.

Personally I dont like the 2nd half of the blue as it get slight uphill n mucky so I normally then join the black or if you want to ease yourself in..I know nice bit that avoids the crap blue uphill section.... as mentioned Pleney has umpteen variations and its easy to get a bit lost...

If you are heading up SuperMorzine..then a great start is the new improved Soylent Green..full of bumps, jumps and small tabletops...a great warm up.......

If you are heading towards Les Gets......the trail from Morzine to Les Getrs is fun fast trail...when you are there..do the green (also newly improved), blue and other variations so you end up at Nauchets left..I avoid doing the red mainline right to the bottom as a) its brake bump hell and b) it will take you right to the bottom lift and this wastes time queuing/coming back up compared to Nauchets lift

Posted: Jun 29, 2018 at 1:31 Quote
[/Quote]
I second SM, I always go to Soylent Green and Stand High Patrol, then once I have found my "groove" I move over to the main tracks on SM, cant remember names but the ones you can see from the lift. Also the Green on Les Gets is pretty fun, then you go onto the blues and reds on Nauchettes side of Les Gets. Chavannes main line is overrated in my opinion, very busy, loads of braking bumps especially the lower half, top half not so bad. Take it easy, its very tempting to go all out on your first day and end up breaking yourself or your bike!! loads of people have done it including me.[/Quote]

Ha..pretty much exact same views as me.....best to stick to all the red/blue variations that bring you out near Nauchets lift..so many variations you can link up once you know how.

Posted: Jun 29, 2018 at 3:01 Quote
Morgins will be pretty cool this year as well!! But it is far to go from Morzine. But I will definitely do it one or two days!!
cheers

Posted: Jun 29, 2018 at 4:52 Quote
BuddyBuddy wrote:
Morgins will be pretty cool this year as well!! But it is far to go from Morzine. But I will definitely do it one or two days!!
cheers

Im there all summer so will try it too.......went to Crossettes last time which didnt take long..route back from Morgins via Chatel looks interesting.

Posted: Jun 29, 2018 at 15:06 Quote
If you can't be arsed with a proper trip into Switzerland I would still recommend going up the Mossettes lift once if only for the view and a run back down into Lindarets on the 10 minute fire road descent called 'Gravelanche'.

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2018 at 0:28 Quote
Leaving tomorrow with my boy and Mrs and cannot wait...if you see a pair of twats on matching Saracen Myst's say hi.

only worry is the weather....

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024062
Mobile Version of Website