Tire inserts: Flat Defender vs Cush Core vs Procore

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Tire inserts: Flat Defender vs Cush Core vs Procore
Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 18:14 Quote
Love the Cush Core so far. Have been running the 29 plus version in 29x2.6 tires for 6 months now.
Will never again try ProCore. Valves don’t last.
This was my experience when they first came out:
https://youtu.be/7qa3gM1_F3c

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 18:35 Quote
Ive been struggling to seal my tires as it seems the rim tape keeps getting dinged upon installation. I have to pry like crazy to get the bead over my rims and i think its at this stage that i must be tearing the rim tape. Any preference for rim tapes or if doubling down helps? Worth noting that i have these syncros revelstoke DH 1.5 wheels and trying to put my assegai’s onto them. Using the Cushcore Pro inserts. Even after trying to be cautious of the rim tape it seems to still tear because i have these small holes on the side of my rim that let water out of the rim, and i can hear air coming out upon inflation. Not a fan of how big the spoke holes are either. So yeah, rim tape tips?

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 19:08 Quote
I'm a big fan of Whisky tape. Just enough stretch/thickness/adhesive to make it glorious and it's never let me down.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 19:31 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
I'm a big fan of Whisky tape. Just enough stretch/thickness/adhesive to make it glorious and it's never let me down.
Yeah like idk. It seems like the installation for the Cushcore is described the same way on every review/ website. I guess obviously my wheels combined with these tires might be stubborn but my friend said he can do his Cushcores very quick now and he has the same wheels and tires? Must be just a practice thing as these are somewhat new to me. I actually put tape over the small hole on the rim so it would keep pressure and just simply sloshed the sealant around for a while and a few hours later it has seemed to seal! Took the tape off the outside and there is no longer a slow leaking sound coming out of water hole. So i guess it sealed? ????. This whole process just seems finicky for me and my young mechanic skills haha!

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 22:27 Quote
Gwady wrote:
Ive been struggling to seal my tires as it seems the rim tape keeps getting dinged upon installation. I have to pry like crazy to get the bead over my rims and i think its at this stage that i must be tearing the rim tape. Any preference for rim tapes or if doubling down helps? Worth noting that i have these syncros revelstoke DH 1.5 wheels and trying to put my assegai’s onto them. Using the Cushcore Pro inserts. Even after trying to be cautious of the rim tape it seems to still tear because i have these small holes on the side of my rim that let water out of the rim, and i can hear air coming out upon inflation. Not a fan of how big the spoke holes are either. So yeah, rim tape tips?

Getting the last bit of tire on shouldn't be crazy hard. Sometimes I can do it all by hand with no tools. I usually put the tire on and seat. It without the cc, then remove one side, install the cc and work the tire back on. I have found the most important part is moving the bead into the middle of the rim underneath the Cc all the way around, basically the same technique you would use to put a tire on without cc when doing it by hand. If the tire is sitting high on the rim, it will be impossible to pull over the last bit but if you move the tire into the lowest (middle) part of the rim all the way around the tire will pop over easier.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 22:32 Quote
Make sure the insert isn't dry while you're working it against the seated side as well

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 17:25 Quote
Anyone try cushcore XC instead of Pro on their AM bike? I know its not designed for aggressive riding but I figure its got to be better than nothing. For reference I'm on 2.6 DHF, 2.4 DHR 2, on stans Flow rims.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 17:44 Quote
EKrum wrote:
Anyone try cushcore XC instead of Pro on their AM bike? I know its not designed for aggressive riding but I figure its got to be better than nothing. For reference I'm on 2.6 DHF, 2.4 DHR 2, on stans Flow rims.

I prefer the XC version. You still get a decent amount of protection, damping and support but the weight is basically half the pro version. The Pro version robs the bike of some nimbleness in my opinion, to the point I think I'm faster even on the descents on most public trails.

Btw, the XC version is intended for up to 2.4" wide tires. I've found it works really well on a 2.5" DHF but a high volume 2.6 might be another story. For example, I know Rimpact inserts work well with 2.4" tires but off very little benefit on 2.6" tires other than rim protection.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 18:01 Quote
EKrum wrote:
i run xc on my trail bike to save my carbon rims. makes the trail a little more
muted especially in high speed rough (braking bumps etc). probably saved me from a sidewall gash or two. they make the bike feel maybe 5-10% more predictable in corners.

Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 21:01 Quote
I destroyed my XC insert within a few rides, not worth it from my experience....

The Rimpact PRO is fairly similar in weight and offers significantly more support. I'd recommend going with that.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 21:33 Quote
I got the Xc cc for my wife. The "wings" on them are pretty small, really best suited for an Xc setup with 25mm rims and 2.2 tires. I run flows with 2.4. And wouldn't bother with the xc's. They would protect the rim but that's about it. The other advantages would be pretty minimal I think.

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2020 at 8:19 Quote
Anyone give nukeproof's insert a try? I've been waffling about picking up a set to replace my huck norris which is in pretty much 3 rings instead of 1 Razz

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 13, 2020 at 8:29 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
I destroyed my XC insert within a few rides, not worth it from my experience....

How? I can't imagine destroying it in one ride unless you rode out on a flat on a really rough descent.

FL
Posted: Apr 13, 2020 at 19:39 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
iggzdaloc wrote:

How? I can't imagine destroying it in one ride unless you rode out on a flat on a really rough descent.

I smashed my alloy rim through cc pro and dh casing tires inflated pretty hard at a bike park, it’s definitely possible at trail center with xc inserts and single ply tires at low pressures

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 13, 2020 at 19:48 Quote
TheSlayer99 wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:
iggzdaloc wrote:

I smashed my alloy rim through cc pro and dh casing tires inflated pretty hard at a bike park, it’s definitely possible at trail center with xc inserts and single ply tires at low pressures

Yeah but that kind of hit is going to destroy anything. He complained specifically about destroying the insert not anything else.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.041837
Mobile Version of Website