Powered by Outside

2018 RM Instinct

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2018 RM Instinct
O+ FL
Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 20:18 Quote
BC link is same a regular link but fused in slackest mode. Should play nice with a 210 shock if you want slack mode.

O+
Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 10:17 Quote
j-t-g wrote:
Personally I'd say leave the ride-9 in the neutral position to start out. You don't want her to have another shore bike after all.

I actually find the BB too low in the 1 position for many areas of the province and prefer slackening the bike using the bonus headset cup and somewhere between 1 and 5.

Anyone use the headset cup? Seems like a works angleset would be a better option as the sta is not that steep to begin with.

Anyone use a works or equivalent?

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 12:33 Quote
rahrider wrote:
j-t-g wrote:
Personally I'd say leave the ride-9 in the neutral position to start out. You don't want her to have another shore bike after all.

I actually find the BB too low in the 1 position for many areas of the province and prefer slackening the bike using the bonus headset cup and somewhere between 1 and 5.

Anyone use the headset cup? Seems like a works angleset would be a better option as the sta is not that steep to begin with.

I'm using a cane creek 1 degree.

O+
Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 13:07 Quote
j-t-g wrote:
rahrider wrote:
j-t-g wrote:

I'm using a cane creek 1 degree.

What position on the ride 9 are you running and how do you like it?

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 13:25 Quote
Neutral! I like the seat angle/bb height of not-full-slack but I like the little bit slacker head angle.

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2020 at 23:06 Quote
My wife's been riding her new instinct a few months now. She gives me zero useful feedback when it comes to setting up her bike. I try to watch her and make changes to her suspension and setup to optimize her ride.

I have tried her in the neutral and slack position so far. Any of you able to tell me the real world difference between the ride 9 settings. I'd leave it in slack. As she rides some pretty gnarly stuff. She seems to struggle in the climbs though. How much do you all find the neutral setting compared to slack for climbing? Any ride impressions from the different settings would be greatly appreciated

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2020 at 20:31 Quote
rahrider wrote:
My wife's been riding her new instinct a few months now. She gives me zero useful feedback when it comes to setting up her bike. I try to watch her and make changes to her suspension and setup to optimize her ride.

I have tried her in the neutral and slack position so far. Any of you able to tell me the real world difference between the ride 9 settings. I'd leave it in slack. As she rides some pretty gnarly stuff. She seems to struggle in the climbs though. How much do you all find the neutral setting compared to slack for climbing? Any ride impressions from the different settings would be greatly appreciated

Steepest position is definitely better for climbing and the BB height is the highest. I use my C70 Instinct more for a trail bike and I leave it in that position to have it climb better.
If I decide to do some rowdy steeper trails, I would put it back to neutral or slackest all depends where and what I’m riding. Never really played with the other settings and probably should try them.
The other positions seem to help if you’re either a lighter or heavier rider as per the Ride -9 chart.
Something to consider.

Had a 2019 Instinct BC Edition last year and it didn’t climb close to the C70 but obviously was better on the downs. I truly believe the 2020 BC Edition would be a way better bike with the 44mm offset compared to the 51mm. Just my opinion but I would love to try it.
But since they were too close to each other I just decided to sell it and keep the C70.
I have since increase my 34 fork to from 140 to 150mm on the C70 a few days ago and added a token in the fork and shock. Looking forward to see how the Instinct works with this set up.
I am 6-1 and 200lbs

My new enduro/DH bike is a 2020 Slayer C70 29, so I have the rocket to go up and one to go down lol
In my opinion my 34lbs slayer climbs as good or better than the 32lbs BC Edition did. So it was a no brainer.
I will however be trying an X2 on the slayer as It is suppose to “wake“ it up more on trail riding. Should have that set up in a week or so.

Hopes this help some people.
Cheers

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 11:35 Quote
That is pretty much what I observe with My wife's setup. My wife is not much for feedback but if I watch closely I can see what setup seems to work best for her. She seems to ride more naturally in the steeper settings (7-9). Even in neutral (5) she is constantly moving to the tip of the saddle for even a moderate climb.

With this in mind I just ordered a 2 degree works angleset for her. I figure I can put Heike in 9, have a 65 degree Hta, a 76 degree. HTA and the bb will sit a few mm higher than neutral.

I hope she likes it.

I never really understood the instinct BC edition. Seemed like there were way better options out there with geometry built around the suspension rather than a slacked out bike. Good call on the slayer - looks like a lot of fun. The rocky suspension is super active and plush and their frames are nice and stiff. I bet the slayer really rips.

O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2020 at 7:54 Quote
rahrider wrote:
That is pretty much what I observe with My wife's setup. My wife is not much for feedback but if I watch closely I can see what setup seems to work best for her. She seems to ride more naturally in the steeper settings (7-9). Even in neutral (5) she is constantly moving to the tip of the saddle for even a moderate climb.

With this in mind I just ordered a 2 degree works angleset for her. I figure I can put Heike in 9, have a 65 degree Hta, a 76 degree. HTA and the bb will sit a few mm higher than neutral.

I hope she likes it.

I never really understood the instinct BC edition. Seemed like there were way better options out there with geometry built around the suspension rather than a slacked out bike. Good call on the slayer - looks like a lot of fun. The rocky suspension is super active and plush and their frames are nice and stiff. I bet the slayer really rips.

Hey please update with how things go with the works headset.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 15:36 Quote
Hey all,

I have an incoming 2019 C50 I got on major discount coming in a few days. Whoop whoop. That said I want to swap the fork out for a 36 or Lyrik w/ 150mm travel.

I am trying to sell the take-off Fox 34 Performance (if anyone is interested LMK. It's listed on PB B/S for 575 bucks). Bike hasn't arrived yet, so does anyone know what Rocky cuts the steerer tube length to by default on a size XL? Also, would I need to ensure a bit of extra steerer tube on any used fork I buy to ensure that the spacer cup is accomdated for if switching to 650b+?

Also, i might have a lead on a Lyrik Ultimate 150mm with 44mm offset. Would this pair well with the bike? Anyone know what the geo changes are like? Given Rocky has changed their offsets on the 2020 140mm 36's to 44, my guess is this shouldn't really be a dramatic change.

Cheers!

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 13:44 Quote
Anyone know the chainring offset? I'm thinking of getting a oval chainring.

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 1:50 Quote
Svinyard wrote:
Anyone interested in a BC Edition Linkage and Fox Factory X2 that matches? It's all incredibly mint. I'm building a 140mm bike and would like to keep it but the wife is (smartly) keeping a firm top end to my budget.

This allows you to convert a "normal" 140mm Instinct back and forth to the BC Edition 155mm with a quick swap of the link and shock.

can anyone please provide me the metric size of the rear shock of the BC Version? Thanks!

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 1:52 Quote
criscruzr wrote:
Svinyard wrote:
Anyone interested in a BC Edition Linkage and Fox Factory X2 that matches? It's all incredibly mint. I'm building a 140mm bike and would like to keep it but the wife is (smartly) keeping a firm top end to my budget.

This allows you to convert a "normal" 140mm Instinct back and forth to the BC Edition 155mm with a quick swap of the link and shock.

can anyone please provide me the metric size of the rear shock of the BC Version? Thanks!

the BC Edition does not work with metric but a normal size 216x63 size, hence it gets 155mm of travel in the slackest position.

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 4:30 Quote
ok thanks!

can I just swap the rear shock with the new size 8.5“x2.5“ or resp. 216x63 or do I need to change the link as well?

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 23:53 Quote
criscruzr wrote:
ok thanks!

can I just swap the rear shock with the new size 8.5“x2.5“ or resp. 216x63 or do I need to change the link as well?

as far as I know, just put it in the slackest position

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.049847
Mobile Version of Website