A civil discussion on trail building practices and the ethics of guerrilla/trail-anista land use.

PB Forum :: Trail Building
A civil discussion on trail building practices and the ethics of guerrilla/trail-anista land use.
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 at 21:15 Quote
dubhex wrote:
norcorulz wrote:
theres no free land around sydney, but if you can prove that you have lived in an area for a few years without being told off, its yours

AKA the squatter's law, I think a lot of countries have tha too. I'm interested to know how successfully that law is applied. me2menow, you assume he means Alaska by Antarctica and you deserve to be called stuff.

No, he was having a conversation about there not being any free land in the US, then someone said yes there is, in Antarctica, which is not in the US, so he assumed he meant Alaska, which is part of the US. its the internet, people don't always understand what each other are saying, just don't be calling names when you don't know the whole story

Posted: Jan 10, 2009 at 21:16 Quote
dubhex wrote:
norcorulz wrote:
theres no free land around sydney, but if you can prove that you have lived in an area for a few years without being told off, its yours

AKA the squatter's law, I think a lot of countries have tha too. I'm interested to know how successfully that law is applied. me2menow, you assume he means Alaska by Antarctica and you deserve to be called stuff.
i was talking about the US. Many times Alaska and Antarctica are confused and Alaska is the most loosely govorned and least populated state in the union. Plenty of reason to assume he meant Alaska. And for you, if you get worked up over a frikkin suggestion that a person had mistaked Antarctica for Alaska....well then you need some psychological help, k?

Posted: Jan 10, 2009 at 21:18 Quote
Gentlemen,
please do not degenerate this thread with petty bickering. Topic please.

Posted: Jan 10, 2009 at 21:45 Quote
I ride wherever and yell often, to alert cougars, bears, and people walking their dogs.
As for building, I'd rather build where I'm allowed, so my work won't get torn down, or where it's very well hidden, for the same reason.

Posted: Jan 10, 2009 at 22:00 Quote
slaythebeast wrote:
I ride wherever and yell often, to alert cougars, bears, and people walking their dogs.
I'm just picturing that...

...........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa....... *zoom*

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 13:32 Quote
Let's not fight boys! In Canada land that isn't private or municipal or park land is crown land. Crown land can be under the diristiction of various government ministries.

Yes you must be most careful of those cougars... they love to devour fresh young men...lol

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 13:41 Quote
davemud wrote:
Let's not fight boys! In Canada land that isn't private or municipal or park land is crown land. Crown land can be under the diristiction of various government ministries.

Yes you must be most careful of those cougars... they love to devour fresh young men...lol
So crown land is basically the same thing as US National forest? You can do pretty much whatever you want on it, as long as it's not against federal law.

Over here, some pretty wild stuff is built in National Forest because it's legal. Other than that, I think it's ridiculous for trail-builders to get angry when rangers tear down the illegally built trails.

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 14:01 Quote
I think a national forest is like Ministry of forests land. If I understand it orrectly the US parks are well patrolled and protected, much more so than our parks are and the forest land doesn't have rangers watching over it so closely.

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 14:05 Quote
davemud wrote:
I think a national forest is like Ministry of forests land. If I understand it orrectly the US parks are well patrolled and protected, much more so than our parks are and the forest land doesn't have rangers watching over it so closely.

National Forest is different from National Parks.

National Parks are protected. only allow hiking and some fishing and camping.

National forest allows 4 wheeling, biking, building trails, and even shooting guns if you're a certain distance from a road.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 14:37 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
davemud wrote:

National forest allows 4 wheeling, biking, building trails, and even shooting guns if you're a certain distance from a road.
You mean billy joe and I can't blow off some steam in the backyard with the 12 gauge?

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 14:42 Quote
samnation wrote:
signorvince2 wrote:
davemud wrote:

You mean billy joe and I can't blow off some steam in the backyard with the 12 gauge?

Not unless you want to get arrested for discharging a firearm within city limits.

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 16:51 Quote
Ministry of Forests isn't park land either. Ministry of Forest lands are lands under provincial jurisdiction, but are essentially crown land. I think Crown land is basically any land that is not owned by a group, company, or individual, nor falling under any other jurisdiction.

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 17:43 Quote
Within Canada, Crown Land is a designated area belonging to the Crown, the equivalent of an entailed estate that passes with the monarchy and cannot not be alienated from it; thus, per constitutional convention, these lands cannot be unliaterally sold by the monarch, instead passing on to the next king or queen unless the sovereign is advised otherwise by the ministers of the Crown. Though the Canadian monarch owns all Crown Land in the country, paralleling the "division" of the Crown amongst the federal and provincial governments, Crown Land is similarly divied so that some lands within the province are administered by the provincial Crown, whereas others are under the federal Crown. About 89% of Canada's land area (8,886,356 km²) is Crown Land, which may either be federal (41%) or provincial (48%); the remaining 11% is privately-owned.[3] Most federal Crown land is in the Canadian territories (Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon), and is administered on behalf of Indian and Northern Affairs Canada; only 4% of land in the provinces is federally-controlled, largely in the form of National Parks, Indian reserves, or Canadian Forces bases. In contrast, provinces hold much of their territory as provincial Crown Land, which may be held as Provincial Parks or wilderness.

Crown Land provides the country and the provinces with the majority of their profits from natural resources, largely but not exclusively provincial, rented for logging and mineral exploration rights; revenues flow to the relevant government and may constitute a major income stream, such as in Alberta. Crown land may also be rented by individuals wishing to build homes or cottages.

[edit] British Columbia

94% of the land in British Columbia is Provincial Crown land, 2% of which is covered by fresh water. Federal Crown lands make up a further 1% of the province, including Indian Reserves, Defence Lands and Federal Harbours, while 5% is privately owned. The Ministry of Agriculture and Lands issues Crown land tenures and sells Crown land on behalf of the Province of British Columbia.[4]

[edit] Newfoundland and Labrador

95% of Newfoundland and Labrador is provincial Crown Land.[3]

[edit] New Brunswick

Currently, 48% of New Brunswick's territory is Crown Land,[5] used for such things as for conservation projects, resource exploitation and recreation activities. However, through treaties between First Nations and the Crown in Right of Canada, the provincial Crown grants or denies long term use of Crown Lands by aboriginals, as per the treaties.

[edit] Manitoba

By the Crown Lands Act,[6] the Lieutenant Governor in Council alone has the ability to augment or disperse Crown Land, and to determine the price of any Crown Land being bought or leased. Crown Land is used for varying purposes, including agriculture, wind farming,[7][8] and cottages, while other areas are set aside for research, environmental protection, public recreation, and resource management.[8] Approximately 95% of the province's forests sit within provincial Crown land.[9]

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 18:56 Quote
shondo wrote:
Within Canada, Crown Land is a designated area belonging to the Crown, the equivalent of an entailed estate that passes with the monarchy and cannot not be alienated from it; thus, per constitutional convention, these lands cannot be unliaterally sold by the monarch, instead passing on to the next king or queen unless the sovereign is advised otherwise by the ministers of the Crown. Though the Canadian monarch owns all Crown Land in the country, paralleling the "division" of the Crown amongst the federal and provincial governments, Crown Land is similarly divied so that some lands within the province are administered by the provincial Crown, whereas others are under the federal Crown. About 89% of Canada's land area (8,886,356 km²) is Crown Land, which may either be federal (41%) or provincial (48%); the remaining 11% is privately-owned.[3] Most federal Crown land is in the Canadian territories (Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon), and is administered on behalf of Indian and Northern Affairs Canada; only 4% of land in the provinces is federally-controlled, largely in the form of National Parks, Indian reserves, or Canadian Forces bases. In contrast, provinces hold much of their territory as provincial Crown Land, which may be held as Provincial Parks or wilderness.

Crown Land provides the country and the provinces with the majority of their profits from natural resources, largely but not exclusively provincial, rented for logging and mineral exploration rights; revenues flow to the relevant government and may constitute a major income stream, such as in Alberta. Crown land may also be rented by individuals wishing to build homes or cottages.

[edit] British Columbia

94% of the land in British Columbia is Provincial Crown land, 2% of which is covered by fresh water. Federal Crown lands make up a further 1% of the province, including Indian Reserves, Defence Lands and Federal Harbours, while 5% is privately owned. The Ministry of Agriculture and Lands issues Crown land tenures and sells Crown land on behalf of the Province of British Columbia.[4]

[edit] Newfoundland and Labrador

95% of Newfoundland and Labrador is provincial Crown Land.[3]

[edit] New Brunswick

Currently, 48% of New Brunswick's territory is Crown Land,[5] used for such things as for conservation projects, resource exploitation and recreation activities. However, through treaties between First Nations and the Crown in Right of Canada, the provincial Crown grants or denies long term use of Crown Lands by aboriginals, as per the treaties.

[edit] Manitoba

By the Crown Lands Act,[6] the Lieutenant Governor in Council alone has the ability to augment or disperse Crown Land, and to determine the price of any Crown Land being bought or leased. Crown Land is used for varying purposes, including agriculture, wind farming,[7][8] and cottages, while other areas are set aside for research, environmental protection, public recreation, and resource management.[8] Approximately 95% of the province's forests sit within provincial Crown land.[9]

Well there you go....

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 13:14 Quote
Yep, its good to be royalty at least from a real estate holdings perspective.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.037034
Mobile Version of Website