Are bikes really worth that much $

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Are bikes really worth that much $
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:08 Quote
So once again not telling the whole truth. How many frames did you buy?

Did anyone notice all of the product on that "bike shop" website is all the product of the company's own website?

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:10 Quote
davemud wrote:

Did anyone notice all of the product on that "bike shop" website is all the product of the company's own website?
I bought 3 frames. 2 were the same, and 1 was a different design. I'm not trying to hide anything from you. I didn't get each frame at a lower price because I bought more than one...I bought more than one because it was a killer deal. Razz

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:17 Quote
jason222bike wrote:
davemud wrote:

I bought 3 frames. 2 were the same, and 1 was a different design. I'm not trying to hide anything from you. I didn't get each frame at a lower price because I bought more than one...I bought more than one because it was a killer deal. Razz

So why not just say you paid 108.00 in the first place instead of 50.00? The frames actually cost more than twice what you originally said they did. That kind of accounting is how bike shops and bike companies go bankrupt.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:20 Quote
davemud wrote:
jason222bike wrote:
davemud wrote:

So why not just say you paid 108.00 in the first place instead of 50.00? The frames actually cost more than twice what you originally said they did. That kind of accounting is how bike shops and bike companies go bankrupt.
Because I was originally referring to the manufacturing cost. Not the cost + shipping to me. I'm not arguing expense costs of a bike shop or other business, if I said I paid $108 for a frame from china, therefore the manufacturing cost should be around $20, you'd all REALLY think I was out of it...

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:25 Quote
sherbet wrote:
jason222bike wrote:
Gsnickets wrote:

WHERE IS MY BULLSHIT FLAG?

I explained in another thread that after you factor in interest on the card used to pay for the bikes for the shop, the employees, the bills from running the shop, and around 3 to 4 percent taken from 9 out of 10 sales that are made by credit card.... a shop is lucky to make 10-15 percent per bike. Also, very few bikes go from the factory to another distributor, some, but few. You're absolutely retarded if you think a bike frame(outside of department stores) costs only 20 bucks to make.
I'm not saying it costs a bike shop $20 per frame. I'm saying it costs $20 to physically manufacture the frame in China.

To answer another question, my frame is made of 6061 aluminum. Nicely made frame as well.

Then there's labor to pay. Factory has bills to pay. Then S&H. Then distributors stick their fingers in the pie. Then a shop needs money to stay in business.

Though $20 is an exaggeration, your point is made. Materials don't cost much. That being said, why don't you take $20 and make your own super high end frame? You don't have the tools, nor the experience to do that. Go buy those tools, all the calibrating machines, all the welders, all the tube manipulating machines. Oh, wow, you're suddenly into millions to get a factory full of it.

And I call BS on buying a frame directly from a Chinese frame manufacturer, seeing as they actually have legal forms and such stating they won't do that unless the company that's commissioning the frames says they can.

Think.

his point is NOT made. seriously. please go price out how much it would cost just to order Easton Tubing for a decent hardtail

its expensive as hell! not to mention any tube maniupulation (ie, bending and what not) not mention any CNC work. not mentioning aligning the frame correctly.

his point is made in no way possible

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:29 Quote
I can't believe this thread exists, pitiful.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:29 Quote
Jwmbike14 wrote:
sherbet wrote:
jason222bike wrote:

I'm not saying it costs a bike shop $20 per frame. I'm saying it costs $20 to physically manufacture the frame in China.

To answer another question, my frame is made of 6061 aluminum. Nicely made frame as well.

Then there's labor to pay. Factory has bills to pay. Then S&H. Then distributors stick their fingers in the pie. Then a shop needs money to stay in business.

Though $20 is an exaggeration, your point is made. Materials don't cost much. That being said, why don't you take $20 and make your own super high end frame? You don't have the tools, nor the experience to do that. Go buy those tools, all the calibrating machines, all the welders, all the tube manipulating machines. Oh, wow, you're suddenly into millions to get a factory full of it.

And I call BS on buying a frame directly from a Chinese frame manufacturer, seeing as they actually have legal forms and such stating they won't do that unless the company that's commissioning the frames says they can.

Think.

his point is NOT made. seriously. please go price out how much it would cost just to order Easton Tubing for a decent hardtail

its expensive as hell! not to mention any tube maniupulation (ie, bending and what not) not mention any CNC work. not mentioning aligning the frame correctly.

You still haven't clued in that we're talking about asian made products. It costs a massive amount less to have things produced in china. Even with huge shipping costs, it's still cheaper to have things made in china than in a more developed country like, say, the USA or Canada. Every Chinese guy and his dog own a CNCing machine.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:30 Quote
igz- wrote:
+1

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:39 Quote
jason222bike wrote:
It costs a massive amount less to have things produced in china. Even with huge shipping costs, it's still cheaper to have things made in china than in a more developed country like, say, the USA or Canada. Every Chinese guy and his dog own a CNCing machine.

Where exactly do you get your information from? Yes, certain things are less expensive in china, especially labour. Not that you said it was but that frame isn't likely made from Easton and the weld quality isn't that good.

Hardly every guy has a CNC in China, I realise you're exagerating but its all this crap in your posts that affects your credibility. That frame probably cost a lot less than 20.00 to make but isn't any Giant Reign either. For the record while mainland china is different trades people in the bike industry in Taiwan make about the same hourly rate as we do here according to the trading agent I worked with.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:55 Quote
igz- wrote:

All questions were answered 9 pages ago

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:59 Quote
dcman6491 wrote:
igz- wrote:
+1

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 18:04 Quote
MOUNTAIN-GROWN wrote:
igz- wrote:

All questions were answered 9 pages ago

let the thread go for another 2 pages im getting paid a dollar for each page of it I read and I want to buy a new bike

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 18:28 Quote
max-tooltime-imus5 wrote:
Jwmbike14 wrote:
that last comment was a little harsh, and i appologize.

but how many legit reasons does this guy have to hear?

everyone is sayign the same thing over and over. yet he deny's everything

no need to get so riled up. its the internet lol.

anyway i dont buy that "oh some much time and money goes into it and they are made so well and they use tons of technology and are always being redesigned they are cutting edge pieces of equipment". its a bicycle.

i think that they charge us that much because they can.

you could be right, i just dont think so.

either way, the bike industry is very lucky to have people like you around.

and yeah i just finished my first semester. most of my classes are math and physics, rather than actual engineering classes, so i know i dont know much.

very lucky to have people like me around? you mean. informed? like the other people in here backing up the industry

if a whole lot of time and money doesn;t go in to it, then please. please develope a bicycle that blows everything else away. and then produce it. for cheap! thats what we all want! and according to you, it is cheap and easy tup

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 18:30 Quote
Jwmbike14 wrote:
max-tooltime-imus5 wrote:
Jwmbike14 wrote:
that last comment was a little harsh, and i appologize.

but how many legit reasons does this guy have to hear?

everyone is sayign the same thing over and over. yet he deny's everything

no need to get so riled up. its the internet lol.

anyway i dont buy that "oh some much time and money goes into it and they are made so well and they use tons of technology and are always being redesigned they are cutting edge pieces of equipment". its a bicycle.

i think that they charge us that much because they can.

you could be right, i just dont think so.

either way, the bike industry is very lucky to have people like you around.

and yeah i just finished my first semester. most of my classes are math and physics, rather than actual engineering classes, so i know i dont know much.

very lucky to have people like me around? you mean. informed? like the other people in here backing up the industry

if a whole lot of time and money doesn;t go in to it, then please. please develope a bicycle that blows everything else away. and then produce it. for cheap! thats what we all want! and according to you, it is cheap and easy tup
good call! ill buy it if you do. and it better be better than my friends session 88!

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 18:42 Quote
jason222bike wrote:
Jwmbike14 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Think.

You still haven't clued in that we're talking about asian made products. It costs a massive amount less to have things produced in china. Even with huge shipping costs, it's still cheaper to have things made in china than in a more developed country like, say, the USA or Canada. Every Chinese guy and his dog own a CNCing machine.

even still, sure labor may be cheap. but not THAT cheap. you still have to set up machinery and set up the whole factory to produce whichever bike you are producing.

still have very expensive materials and tools. CNC machines. the engineer that draws up a CNC readable format. i mean its not juts welding tubes together! its not THAT cheap! we aren't talking about $100 toys are us bikes. we are talking about REAL bikes. bikes in the thousands of dollars range. ones that do infact need precise machining, engineering, high end tubing, sometimes hydro formed tubing.

yes we are talking about asian products. but obviously most people in this forum are misinformed. infact most bikes are not made in china. Giant owns 80% of the factories in which bikes are made (even if its another manufacturer). and in fact, most these factories are in Taiwan. NOT china.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031382
Mobile Version of Website