Powered by Outside

Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Dec 4, 2014 at 9:57 Quote
enregistree wrote:
monkey-man wrote:
Hi guys,

I’m looking at going 1x10 or 11 if I can justify the extra cost.i'm am 1x10 now but with a chainguide. I have a short cage Saint mech (none clutch), If I go with out the chain guide do I need a clutch mech, and can I use a larger cassette (11-36 or bigger) with a short cage mech?

Many, many thanks

You need new saint (or zee) clutch mech, and these new models are specified for 11-36 cassette. That's what I use (saint mech with saint shifter), XT cassette and blackspire narrow/wide ring.

Also, the new saint shifter has longer levers to overcome added resistance of clutch mech.
I was running 1x9 with long cage, and obviously with no clutch, derailleur with no guides. I lasted about two months before I snapped and just threw the bike in the ditches after remounting the chain for the literally 50th time that spin. Since then I've been using a top guide from Moove with a lot less problems, mainly from back pedaling, but I kind of regret not buying the whole hog and getting one with a bottom roller. Also as well in Shimano derailleurs there is a spring on the pivot of the cage. All standard derailleurs come with the spring in the softest position to allow easy shifting, but if you take apart the derailleur and move the position of the spring it will reduce chain slap but create harder shifting, but as said earlier a Saint shifter would compensate the added resistance with it's longer lever.

Posted: Dec 4, 2014 at 16:31 Quote
Interesting that the experiences are so different. I'm super satisfied with mine. Where my normal ss chainring dropped the chain every 10 minutes, my n/w hasn't dropped it a single time in a whole year. Maybe the set up is different? (I have a mid-cage XTR clutch derailleur).

Many of the guys at the Red Bull Rampage actually ride with n/w chainrings instead of chain guides.

Maybe full-on downhill racing on a high level might give your bike more shocks, causing the chain to fal off, but just riding the DH tracks for fun (medium level compared to other dutch DH riders) hasn't given me any problems yet.

Posted: Dec 4, 2014 at 17:51 Quote
Mattin wrote:
Interesting that the experiences are so different. I'm super satisfied with mine. Where my normal ss chainring dropped the chain every 10 minutes, my n/w hasn't dropped it a single time in a whole year. Maybe the set up is different? (I have a mid-cage XTR clutch derailleur).

Many of the guys at the Red Bull Rampage actually ride with n/w chainrings instead of chain guides.

Maybe full-on downhill racing on a high level might give your bike more shocks, causing the chain to fal off, but just riding the DH tracks for fun (medium level compared to other dutch DH riders) hasn't given me any problems yet.
The difference is pedaling, the guys at rampage aren't pedaling.

Posted: Dec 4, 2014 at 19:37 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Mattin wrote:

I was going to say I don't think it matters if they have a chain

Posted: Dec 5, 2014 at 3:48 Quote
its a well know internet fact that regardless of your chain retention method, if your chain does not fall off sometimes you are going too slow...

Smile

Posted: Dec 5, 2014 at 6:57 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Mattin wrote:

That makes sence Smile

LOL @ iffy lol

Posted: Dec 5, 2014 at 9:06 Quote
iffy wrote:
its a well know internet fact that regardless of your chain retention method, if your chain does not fall off sometimes you are going too slow...

Smile
I'm not fast I just choose shitty lineslol

Posted: Dec 5, 2014 at 11:34 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
iffy wrote:

Smile
I'm not fast I just choose shitty lineslol

You we don't expect you to do that, You're Not Danny Hart.

Posted: Dec 5, 2014 at 12:23 Quote
My new frame came with two different derailleur hangers, one with a mount that drops straight down at 90 degrees to the chain stay and one that puts the mount further back from the axle.

Does is matter which I use as long as shifting is sweet and I have enough clearance to get the wheel off?

Posted: Dec 5, 2014 at 12:30 Quote
shifting can start to suffer if the chain does not have a lot of wrap on the sprockets, there is probably some logic behind it though?

Posted: Dec 5, 2014 at 12:34 Quote
iffy wrote:
shifting can start to suffer if the chain does not have a lot of wrap on the sprockets, there is probably some logic behind it though?

On the old frame (same bike, bought as a whole bike) it used the bigger angle mount with an extender between that and the derailleur. I currently have it set up mounted directly to the right angle mount. Getting the wheel off is tight but with the B-stop adjusted shifting is 100%. Just wondered if I *should* have the extra extender bit in there for any reason?

Posted: Dec 5, 2014 at 13:50 Quote
minus8 wrote:
iffy wrote:

On the old frame (same bike, bought as a whole bike) it used the bigger angle mount with an extender between that and the derailleur. I currently have it set up mounted directly to the right angle mount. Getting the wheel off is tight but with the B-stop adjusted shifting is 100%. Just wondered if I *should* have the extra extender bit in there for any reason?

Perhaps for use with these huge rear cogs people use ?

Posted: Dec 5, 2014 at 14:42 Quote
bigburd wrote:
minus8 wrote:
iffy wrote:

Perhaps for use with these huge rear cogs people use ?

That's a good shout. Cheers folks, just wanted to check I wasn't doing something obvious wrong!

Posted: Dec 5, 2014 at 14:51 Quote
Hey everyone. My 9 speed X0 rear shifter is not engaging the highest (largest cog) gear **inside the shifter**. It climbs up onto the final cog, and will stay there if it hold the silver thumb control down. Having it open, I can see the mechanism engage each notch in the black wheel, but on the last one it will not fall into the final notch, it just sits there.

All the screws are adjusted properly, I have even had the high screw hyper extended to the point that Its almost dropping off the top, but it will not stay there.

Any opinions? I don't feel like dishing out SIXC bar money for a shifter.

Posted: Dec 5, 2014 at 15:29 Quote
Weldertron wrote:
Hey everyone. My 9 speed X0 rear shifter is not engaging the highest (largest cog) gear **inside the shifter**. It climbs up onto the final cog, and will stay there if it hold the silver thumb control down. Having it open, I can see the mechanism engage each notch in the black wheel, but on the last one it will not fall into the final notch, it just sits there.

All the screws are adjusted properly, I have even had the high screw hyper extended to the point that Its almost dropping off the top, but it will not stay there.

Any opinions? I don't feel like dishing out SIXC bar money for a shifter.
any dirt in there? I'd take it apart, clean it, check nothings broken, stick it back together and see if it works again

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032330
Mobile Version of Website