Powered by Outside

Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Mar 18, 2024 at 12:01 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
In the last 67 days, since I left for Monterrey in January, I've spent 42 nights in hotels and way too goddamn many at airports and just burning hours sitting on planes... I don't know how some people make an entire career of traveling all the damn time. Looks like I'm gonna have almost two full weeks at home and I'm so stoked to just ride my bike and chill with my dog. Air travel has really just become the city bus, but in the sky. This shit blows.

http://flightradar24.com

Posted: Mar 18, 2024 at 14:03 Quote
MrHyak wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Tyson / Paul eh?

Good grief.

It is almost like celebrity boxing. Who knows what you'll get. Mike could always have that one punch, but wouldn't be surprised to see him get whacked either since he is far beyond his days for boxing. Curiosity has me wanting to watch it, but I wouldn't pay anything to see it.

So stupid. Dude is pushing 60. There's no way he can still take multiple punches to the head.

Posted: Mar 18, 2024 at 18:34 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
MrHyak wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Tyson / Paul eh?

Good grief.

It is almost like celebrity boxing. Who knows what you'll get. Mike could always have that one punch, but wouldn't be surprised to see him get whacked either since he is far beyond his days for boxing. Curiosity has me wanting to watch it, but I wouldn't pay anything to see it.

So stupid. Dude is pushing 60. There's no way he can still take multiple punches to the head.

Tyson never got enough credit for being slippery. He's not Floyd but he didn't just sit in and take shots... I wouldn't be surprised at all if he drops tik tok boy.

Posted: Mar 18, 2024 at 19:44 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:
MrHyak wrote:

Tyson never got enough credit for being slippery. He's not Floyd but he didn't just sit in and take shots... I wouldn't be surprised at all if he drops tik tok boy.

I sure hope so. Turns out 15 oz gloves is what I’m seeing. I’m betting on some sparring bullshit.

Posted: Mar 18, 2024 at 19:46 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
In the last 67 days, since I left for Monterrey in January, I've spent 42 nights in hotels and way too goddamn many at airports and just burning hours sitting on planes... I don't know how some people make an entire career of traveling all the damn time. Looks like I'm gonna have almost two full weeks at home and I'm so stoked to just ride my bike and chill with my dog. Air travel has really just become the city bus, but in the sky. This shit blows.

That sounds terrible. But a nice couple weeks headed your way!!!

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2024 at 21:12 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

No thank you (travelling for work like that), yes please (bike n dog for a bit to recharge.)

Posted: Mar 19, 2024 at 9:32 Quote
i spent a lot of time in and alongside a variety of boxing rings and one reliable experience that all of them offered is having a few old heads permanently attached to the side of the ring. like pilotfish stuck on the side of a shark, you'll see at least one dude who boxing has passed by but he just cannot leave the sport behind.
some people don't have any more chapters in their book of life to write, and prize fighting allows some of the fighters a chance to make money- that they already should have received but their managers stole from them- so that they can live comfortably. the grind of a pro boxer can be so lonely and frightening that if they can cash in on paydays, well, i totally support it.
but i also respect the business acumen of dana white, and when he says that the tiktok guys lie about their PPV numbers and that they have ripped off previous fighters like tyron woodley and ben askren from promised payouts, well, then i feel bad for the fighters again. because the tik tok guys are standing on the shoulders of all the fighters hard work and calling themselves tall. no bueno.
so if mike tyson wants to jump in the spotlight, have a little sparring session and actually make some money- great. all the best. he deserves the money. but i have no interest or curiosity about the fight, especially seeing as how many excellent boxers there are right now, and even more amazing ufc fighters. i'll focus my time and my PPV dineros on the ufc fights. ufc 299 was awesome, and ufc 300 should be really good too.

cannot wait to watch those fights.

oh hey we are going to florida next week. orlando. lemme know of any food joints i need to check out while i'm down there.

Posted: Mar 19, 2024 at 9:37 Quote
hey leroy et.al, the nfl free agency has been entertaining to watch. i'm waiting for harbaugh to start throwing out kitchen sinks next. lol.
i saw a graph comparing tom brady to kirk cousins and their playoff records compared to their career earnings.
fuh kin hee larry yes that kirks made over 100 million more than the greatest football players in the history of the game.

Posted: Mar 19, 2024 at 14:45 Quote
obee1 wrote:
hey leroy et.al, the nfl free agency has been entertaining to watch. i'm waiting for harbaugh to start throwing out kitchen sinks next. lol.
i saw a graph comparing tom brady to kirk cousins and their playoff records compared to their career earnings.
fuh kin hee larry yes that kirks made over 100 million more than the greatest football players in the history of the game.

Kirk... least he's got solid regular season stats. LOL! It does blow me away that people have no issue with this guy making tons of money but blast Carr for the same thing. Even though Carr has done a lot with a little. Kirk has been on way better teams and still never been good in the playoffs.

Reminds me of Matt Flynn. That dude literally had a 6 or 7 year carreer and banked like $10m on one game. Matt Cassell the same deal. Guy played in Brady's offense and looked killer so he got paid a grip.

Honestly though... if Kirk comes back healthy they'll win the devision. He'll put up 4800 or more yards and they'll look like genius'. Robinson will be in the top 5 in rushing yards this year and put up 600 or more receiving yards. I would not be surprised to see him sitting around 1900-2k total yards next year. London will be over 1000 yards. Mooney will be over 1000 yards. Moore and Ray-Ray might combine for 1000 yards. Pitts will do 850 plus.

THey're gonna be able to make some defensive draft picks. This team is gonna have one of the largest improvements in the NFL next year... Jets and Bears too.

They might even add some weapons to the offense and just have a stupid offense. Mooney is good but if a solid WR falls on their lap they may be able to improve there and truly have 5 solid targets for Cousins who most definitely understand how to spread the ball out and is used to a very high volume offense. Pearsal could be the next Edelman. Coleman will drop into the mid second round because of his 40 time but the guys a baller. He'd be a solid target with a guy like Ray Ray running around under him. If they're smart they'll go defense or o line up high but they could take Polk in the 3rd or go big and grab Wilson in the 4th or 5th rounds. He's a guy that they could move between TE and WR. Especially if they put 15 pounds on him.

So many changes this year. If the Raiders land a decent QB they might be able to push KC out of the way.
Bengals are gonna get better. Packers are gonna get better. Jets are gonna get better if Rodgers comes back even 90%. Bears are going to get WAY better if the dingdong they draft is half as good as people think he is. They're improving all over that team and built a good team around Fields. So this dude really has no excuse to fail. Lions are still good. Etc.

Should be an interesting year.

Posted: Mar 19, 2024 at 15:01 Quote
obee1 wrote:
i spent a lot of time in and alongside a variety of boxing rings and one reliable experience that all of them offered is having a few old heads permanently attached to the side of the ring. like pilotfish stuck on the side of a shark, you'll see at least one dude who boxing has passed by but he just cannot leave the sport behind.
some people don't have any more chapters in their book of life to write, and prize fighting allows some of the fighters a chance to make money- that they already should have received but their managers stole from them- so that they can live comfortably. the grind of a pro boxer can be so lonely and frightening that if they can cash in on paydays, well, i totally support it.
but i also respect the business acumen of dana white, and when he says that the tiktok guys lie about their PPV numbers and that they have ripped off previous fighters like tyron woodley and ben askren from promised payouts, well, then i feel bad for the fighters again. because the tik tok guys are standing on the shoulders of all the fighters hard work and calling themselves tall. no bueno.
so if mike tyson wants to jump in the spotlight, have a little sparring session and actually make some money- great. all the best. he deserves the money. but i have no interest or curiosity about the fight, especially seeing as how many excellent boxers there are right now, and even more amazing ufc fighters. i'll focus my time and my PPV dineros on the ufc fights. ufc 299 was awesome, and ufc 300 should be really good too.

cannot wait to watch those fights.

oh hey we are going to florida next week. orlando. lemme know of any food joints i need to check out while i'm down there.

299 was a good card.

300 is gonna be a good one.
Even the early prelims are gonna be good. Might actually end up with some of the best fights on the early prelims.

Cody is gonna be swinging for the fences. Green/Miller could be an amazing fight. Miller knows this is it for him and he's gonna want to win. Green can be really good at times. The Andrade/Rodriguez fight should be solid too. Jalin Turner going to be looking to make an impact as well.

Kayla Harrison finally jumping in the UFC against Holm.
Hopefully Kattar can keep Sterling from laying on him. Hopefully he knocks Sterling out. But my feeling is this is the UFC throwing Sterling a bone to get him a win in a new class. I think had they picked one of the other guys his percentage chance of success is much lower. This way he can potentially jump a few guys and avoid some of the scary guys.
Hopefully Jiri gets back on track. Either way I think this fight ends with someone asleep. Nickal looks scary.

Then you get into a string of potentially fight of the year type fights. All of them.

Really pulling for Oliviera but that's no easy fight.
Justin vs. Max. I think Justin is the scarier dude but Max's striking is so good. If he can keep distance he could put him away.
Zhang vs Yan. I love watching Zhang fight. I'm pulling for her but Yan is gnarly. This fight could be nuts.
Alex vs. Hill. Either one of those dudes can put your lights off right away. This one will either be snoozefest of dancing or someone is getting slept.

Really looking forward to the card. Honestly a big bummed they didn't get Conor figured out in time. I think that dude if he's focused still has something in the tank. He hasn't looked "bad" in his fights. I am glad that they avoided making a cheeseball match ups like Ronda or Brock. It would have devalued the rest of the card. Glad JBJ isn't on the card. I think the dude looked like ass his last fight.

Posted: Mar 19, 2024 at 16:23 Quote
obee1 wrote:
****sage outlook on boxing, aging, and world view in general...as usual..... tup

stay away from OBT obee... Pimp Razz

Lee and Rick's Oyster Bar - old clapboard boat looking joint. Been there forever and we went there often. Awesome oysters.. Wifey and I'd get 2 doz. steamed medium and ice cold beer after ice cold beer at the shitty concrete bar.

https://leeandricksoysterbar.com/home-page

Dixie Crossroads if you get over to the east coast. Rock shrimps. We'd wait 2 hours for dinner on the weekends. Didn't give one single f*ck. We'd get to' up and eat like mad. Worth is. Rock shrimp used to be $19.95 all u can eat.

https://dixiecrossroads.com/

I'll try to think of some others....

Posted: Mar 19, 2024 at 19:36 Quote
obee1 wrote:

It's funny you mention that, I was talking about that earlier today... the athletic had an article breaking down lifetime earnings and, including the $50m signing bonus he just pocketed from Atlanta, Kirk is 6th all time!

Two other crazy things that list made me realize... Mahomes' deal is so backloaded and team friendly that, despite signing a near half billion dollar deal in 2020, he's not even in the top 13 yet. And... these kids that just signed big deals last year, like Herbert's 5yr, $262m deal, will be roughly 8 years into their careers by the time they've earned more than dudes like Peyton Mannig and Philip Rivers, who played 18 and 17, respectively, in the league. Wild how much QB salaries have gone up.

https://theathletic.com/5343234/2024/03/19/kirk-cousins-nfl-quarterback-contracts-overvaluation-rankings/

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2024 at 20:53 Quote
Should a linebacker get paid more than a navy seal

pro sport is whack

Posted: Mar 19, 2024 at 21:28 Quote
mysticmountainadventures wrote:
Should a linebacker get paid more than a navy seal

pro sport is whack

That’s a tough one. Obviously the navy seal’s job is harder and riskier, but the pro athlete is generating money. Lots of it too. Same could be said for doctors, nurses, policemen, firefighters, teachers, military. They definitely should be getting paid way more, and have a way more IMPORTANT JOB than an athlete. They’re doing a job that most don’t want to do, whereas the pro athletes are doing a job that most can’t do.

For instance, take the NBA. There’s less than 400 roster spots for 30 teams, out of 8 billion people in the world. 360 out of 8 billion. To make it at that level is so difficult it’s almost impossible. Those said pro athletes in the nba, generate BILLIONS of dollars from ticket sales, jersey sales, sneaker sales, and all the other endorsements they get paid on. So they should be making that money because they are a very small percentage of the population doing a job that no one else can. Now those “real life jobs” that I stated before are definitely more important, and save lives, etc. but you can find many more of those people than you can an elite pro athlete. Again, I’m not saying the athletes’ job is more important, it’s just more exclusive. You should get paid accordingly for your rare talent and being part of such an exclusive club. Just my personal opinion.

Posted: Mar 19, 2024 at 21:38 Quote
I build houses that I can’t afford to people who couldn’t use a screw driver to save their lives… its a strange world.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.047901
Mobile Version of Website