Fox 36 160mm VAN RC2 Fit 2011 bottom out

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox 36 160mm VAN RC2 Fit 2011 bottom out
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 10:39 Quote
Hi i have a Fox 36 Van RC2 FIT 2011, riding the yellow spring (the hardest) and lowered it to130mm org. was 160mm of travel. Cut the spring so its 15mm to long and preloaded by the same amount+adjuster. When doing medium drops say 2m vert, i bottom out the fork. All compression settings are at the max. My body weight is 86kg... What mods are you guys doing to prevent this ? I thought fox was the BOMB !!!

thanks in advance

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 10:48 Quote
Are you getting the correct sag? That spring should not make the fork bottom with your weight. I am betting you did not cut the spring at the correct length, and that if your fork was at the stock height with a stock spring it would not bottom out.

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 10:52 Quote
It was bottom out in stock 160mm with yellow spring and max settings...And yes sag is "okay" (read: the way i like it)

Posted: Jan 31, 2011 at 11:04 Quote
Come on is there tech guru to help me out, please !!!!

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 at 6:35 Quote
What is "the way you like it"?

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 at 9:49 Quote
15-20% sag on the front, 20-25 % rear

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 at 9:55 Quote
am having this problem with my 09 R's, running the right sping (one from the lowest you can get, and im at the bottom of the range btw) and am blowing through the travel on pretty small gaps/drops. im running it with alot less sag than reccomended, but still nothing?

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 at 16:21 Quote
On most forks you add oil to make it more progressive, but I don't know about a Fox.

Posted: Feb 2, 2011 at 0:38 Quote
This is why in my opinion you shouldnt "mod as you call it" forks. From the sounds of it you have completely ruined a really nice brand new fork. And if you are doing a 2 meter drop then of course its going to bottom out if you have only left it with 130mm of travel. Why did you drop it to 130mm anyway if you are doing big stuff? And if you wanted travel adjust then why didnt you just go for the talas?

Posted: Feb 2, 2011 at 0:43 Quote
StefanNielsen wrote:
Hi i have a Fox 36 Van RC2 FIT 2011, riding the yellow spring (the hardest) and lowered it to130mm org. was 160mm of travel. Cut the spring so its 15mm to long and preloaded by the same amount+adjuster. When doing medium drops say 2m vert, i bottom out the fork. All compression settings are at the max. My body weight is 86kg... What mods are you guys doing to prevent this ? I thought fox was the BOMB !!!

thanks in advance

When you lower the travel, you should put a firmer spring. Also what do you mean you cut the spring?!?

Posted: Feb 2, 2011 at 8:06 Quote
"Cut the spring" as in cutting piece a off to make it shorter !!!
yellow spring is the HARDEST fox spring availble

"From the sounds of it you have completely ruined a really nice brand new fork"
NO it still works fin and was bottoming out at drops before, i lowered it !!!

"And if you are doing a 2 meter drop then of course its going to bottom out if you have only left it with 130mm of travel"
Had a DJ1 before 100mm of travel and did 3-4m drops without bottoming so NO it should not...

"TALAS"
is air and i wanted coil !!!

Back to my main question, does anybody know some mods ?

Posted: Feb 2, 2011 at 8:23 Quote
You should NEVER cut a spring to shorten your travel. First thing you should do now is to buy a new spring and exchange your shortened spring out with the new full length one. Dont ruin a nice fork by modding it yourself if you aint really knowing how to do it.

As previous speaker said: You should but a firmer spring in if you are bottoming out your fork. If you´re still experiencing the same issue at the correct sag, exchange your oil with a thicker one (higher viscosity) to prevent your oil to flow pass the shims too fast and there by achiving a more harder compression damping.

Can i ask how your current compression adjusters are setuped atm, how many clicks from plus?

List both High Comp and Low Comp

Posted: Feb 2, 2011 at 10:15 Quote
You have to buy a new spring. To reduce the travel on fox, you move spacers around. I would HIGHLY recommend you to go to your LBS. You better of paying someone to do it for you because cutting the spring was a wrong move but it isn't too much to replace. In addition, fox internals can be extremely costly so seek help before you have to spit $500 in parts.

I usually tell folks who wants to fiddle with their forks to change the oil at first so they can get a feel for the fork mechanisms. Then i tell them to change the seals and ultimately a full rebuild. You should never touch suspension component if you have no idea what you are doing and don't make research before hand as they can be dangerous!

Posted: Feb 2, 2011 at 10:27 Quote
I hate to break it to you guys, but you do cut the coil to lower a Vanilla

Posted: Feb 2, 2011 at 10:38 Quote
Nobble wrote:
I hate to break it to you guys, but you do cut the coil to lower a Vanilla

This. A stock length spring just won't fit in a lowered Van. I would hate to unscrew the topcap off a fork that was lowered with a stock spring installed. Damn topcap would take your face off when the threads disengage!!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010639
Mobile Version of Website