Avid Juicy Ultimate OR Avid Elixir XX brake

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Avid Juicy Ultimate OR Avid Elixir XX brake
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 17, 2011 at 14:27 Quote
Hey Pinkbike, i need your help here. I currently have a Avid Elixir XX rear brake on my bike but i got a great deal on a set of Avid Juicy Ultimates (F & R) brakes. Im looking to get a front brake in the near future to be able to do some hardtail downhill racing (its manditory to have one to race O-Cup) but when im not racing all i need is a rear brake as i only do dirt jumping, street, skate park, and some light single track so the front brake would be taken off. I want power and modulation in a brake along with the weight weenie aspect of it. I have ridden almost the whole avid like up; the juicy 3, 5, & 7 along with the codes, elixir cr's and now the XX but never the ultimate. If any one has experience with the ultimate that would be great or if you have any other experience, any help would be much appreciated.

Posted: May 17, 2011 at 17:36 Quote
beeboo wrote:
Hey Pinkbike, i need your help here. I currently have a Avid Elixir XX rear brake on my bike but i got a great deal on a set of Avid Juicy Ultimates (F & R) brakes. Im looking to get a front brake in the near future to be able to do some hardtail downhill racing (its manditory to have one to race O-Cup) but when im not racing all i need is a rear brake as i only do dirt jumping, street, skate park, and some light single track so the front brake would be taken off. I want power and modulation in a brake along with the weight weenie aspect of it. I have ridden almost the whole avid like up; the juicy 3, 5, & 7 along with the codes, elixir cr's and now the XX but never the ultimate. If any one has experience with the ultimate that would be great or if you have any other experience, any help would be much appreciated.

inbox willy94, he has one. i cant imagine it being that different myself

Posted: May 17, 2011 at 18:59 Quote
NWray wrote:
beeboo wrote:

inbox willy94, he has one. i cant imagine it being that different myself

What does he have?

Posted: May 17, 2011 at 20:24 Quote
I got some Ultimates late last season, and did a few trail rides with them. I was expecting a bit more power, otherwise they work ok, but I'm not blown away. I had Juicy 5s on a previous bike, and these don't perform any better.

One thing - they have different calipers than other Juicys - and on these the pads are pretty hard to install, and extremely hard to remove. Check the reviews and that is a common complaint.

Posted: May 18, 2011 at 9:05 Quote
Participation marks.

I only have experience on the Elixir CR and Juicy 7 with Straitlines.

I don't think I can contribute much, but:
-should have the same modulation
-power could differ a little bit, but Juicy's are a dime so hmm..
-elixirs feel weird............

I didn't help at all eh? haha

O+
Posted: May 19, 2011 at 18:26 Quote
No idea on the Ultimates bro. But the XX's are MINT. There is a local guy at my school whos selling a pair of the Ultimates, if you want I'll hit him up for pricing and if he will ship out your way?

FL
Posted: May 19, 2011 at 18:30 Quote
dont get the ultimate for DH, they over heat rather quick, and power just isnt there. Stick with the elixer.

Posted: May 19, 2011 at 19:10 Quote
its onterible, he's putting them on a jackal, cool your jets there sparkey, ultimate will be fine for ontario, j-teeple runs carbons on his demo and he's well over 200 pounds, you're going to be fine with ultimates

Posted: May 19, 2011 at 19:11 Quote
eastsideride wrote:
No idea on the Ultimates bro. But the XX's are MINT. There is a local guy at my school whos selling a pair of the Ultimates, if you want I'll hit him up for pricing and if he will ship out your way?

Lemme know what the kid is selling them for?

And the brake set is mostly being used for dirt jumping and dual slalom/4x but i will be doing some downhill but its only on a hardtail

FL
Posted: May 19, 2011 at 19:12 Quote
oh shit, i just skimmed it, and read that he was racing o cup. assumed it was on a DH bike.
yeah, ultimate should be fine for a DH hardtail, especially in the back.

O+
Posted: May 22, 2011 at 1:15 Quote
beeboo wrote:
eastsideride wrote:

And the brake set is mostly being used for dirt jumping and dual slalom/4x but i will be doing some downhill but its only on a hardtail

Scratch my idea. He wants too much for them, hes expecting $325 + S/H. What a retard

Posted: May 22, 2011 at 8:46 Quote
eastsideride wrote:
beeboo wrote:
eastsideride wrote:

Scratch my idea. He wants too much for them, hes expecting $325 + S/H. What a retard

Oh wow Eek lmao lemme just cut off one of my arms and legs to afford that

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012628
Mobile Version of Website