DJ Noob... Need Help?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
DJ Noob... Need Help?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 18, 2011 at 1:54 Quote
Hi guys,

As the title says I'm a totally DJ noob, I no absolutely nothing about them :/ however I do ride XC a lot and some one told me to check out Chicksands? Now me and my mate had no idea what it was other than a bike park, and all we had was a postcode and an afternoon, so we loaded up the bikes and headed of to find out it was more about the DJ's DH's, BMX's etc so our XC bikes were not as well suited to the faster descents and bigger hits but none the less it was fantastic... So what am I blabbering on about and waisting your time for? Well whilst we were there I got talking to a lad who kindly let me take his DJ bike that he built his self down the 4X and it was fantastic! You could get loads of hight and better control thanks to its geometry.... So after all that my question is this what am I looking for to start getting into DJ riding? I have ridden BMX's from about the age of 12 to 16 or so at parks and round streets but I'm now almost 18, 6ft 1 and my WTP is just that little bit to small now which is why I am selling it sadly Frown that and dirt hurts a lot less when you hit the ground Wink so theres the first thing.... Geometry? I'm 6ft 1 and about 12 1/2 stone or so, but I have no idea on frame sizes? I think I want front suspension but I don't no about wheel sizes? 26" vs 24" I think I want signal speed like my BMX as I will only ever be jumping and going down hill not doing a XC run but then again I don't no what geering to run? I only want a rear break really I no you can just remove the front, that's not a problem but I was just wondering what others run? I think I want fairly long bars but a short stem for control? Going back to brakes I definitely don't want "v" brakes, "u" brakes or cantilever's :S times have moved on and after running two sets of hope tech M4's I'm not going back to cables and blocks I want discs and pads lol because they always work and the don't squeak, they don't ruin the chrome, paint or anodising and above all low maintainence just swap the pads and occasionally bleed, no cable adjusting or centring the brake blocks :/ finally as iv said I'm totally new to Dirt Jumps so I might not like it or use it... Its mainly to have fun or round the streets and take to places like chicksands in the summer as a laugh when it's just either to hot or to far to go on the XC's... Iv got around £450 to spend but I don't mind if it's way under that or spot on that I want something for fun that's all I'm not going to be taking it serious so I'm even considering a trip to halfords lol any suggestions on either completes? Or even parts I should be keeping my eye out for so I an build one up over winter? Also your expertise on my queries? Ie geometry to be looking for, wheel sizes you guys prefer? Sus Forks v solid? Reasons for and against that kind of thing? One last thing though you probably hear this a lot on this forum but I do ride my bikes hard... Iv snapped my last XC frame and destroid probably 3 rear wheels on my BMX's either because iv not landed it spot on or through taking hits bigger than I should so I don't really want components that are going to fail on me as my confidence grows.. I'm not a pro or really experienced or anything like that, and I no you will only get better components as and when you up grade but I am used to jumps and drops so I don't wana take it out and find that I need to swap components after day one..... Thank for putting up with my massive essay and im looking forward to all your help
Steve :Cool :

Posted: Dec 18, 2011 at 2:22 Quote
at 450 your choices are pretty limited, at that price range id go rigid as suspension forks in that price region are utter shite. only thing that comes to mind is the ns holy complete. the geometry is directed more towards the bmx side of things so you should feel right at home on it, and comes in 24 and 26 versions, so whatever wheel size you want to go, your covered. the components are not bad at all for the price, the headset is loose ball so that might require some extra maintenance, but the bike should be petty sweet out of the box.

i prefer a 26" because its more stable, you have a good selection of rims and tyres, and you can still flick the bike around rather easily. it is a very personal thing though.

Posted: Dec 18, 2011 at 8:08 Quote
Thanks for the advise dude, I will have a look, I mean it doesn't have to be brand new or mint condition the reason why I say £450 is because I have a mate that works at halfords and with his staff discount that's ruffley what I can get a voodoo rakka for £425...(http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_254703_productId_786831_langId_-1?cm_mmc=Shopping-_-Google%20Product%20Search-_-Bikes%2FMens%20%26%20Womens%20Bikes%2FDirt%20Jump%20Bikes-_-VooDoo%20Bakka%20Dirt%20Jump%20Bike%202011%2F2012&source=shopping#dtab)
That's the bike I was looking at don't no what every one thinks? Also I was thinking 26" but I don't no what would be better and I really do think I want sus forks not rigid :/ but I will have a look at that ns thank you four your help
Steve

Posted: Dec 18, 2011 at 14:35 Quote
I'd put my money into something off eBay as there are usually tons of dj bikes on there, don't be tempted by "brand new" dirt jump bikes for £250, find a good second hand specialized p1 or an identiti , might get the odd ns bike or there should be some dmr's or 24seven slackers on there plus most of the dj bikes will be custom or upgraded in some way, do your homework though, my younger brother bought a proceed fsr for £450 and it needed seals, pads new forks, both wheels fixed and a new bottom bracket, but saying this there are some genuinely good bikes on eBay , good lucktup

Posted: Dec 18, 2011 at 14:54 Quote
noun wrote:
I'd put my money into something off eBay as there are usually tons of dj bikes on there, don't be tempted by "brand new" dirt jump bikes for £250, find a good second hand specialized p1 or an identiti , might get the odd ns bike or there should be some dmr's or 24seven slackers on there plus most of the dj bikes will be custom or upgraded in some way, do your homework though, my younger brother bought a proceed fsr for £450 and it needed seals, pads new forks, both wheels fixed and a new bottom bracket, but saying this there are some genuinely good bikes on eBay , good lucktup
had a look on eBay spotted a black Market malice starting bid £350 nice spec worth a look!

Posted: Dec 18, 2011 at 16:34 Quote
noun wrote:

yeah id agree, second hand is usually a good option in that price range. check out craigslist or something like that too, if its a local sale then sometimes they'll let you ride it before you buy it. also check out chainreactioncycles.com.

remember, if it looks like a great deal, be suspicious. a lot of the time theres something wrong on the bike, take my friends revell for example, it was a great spec for the price, but they guy selling it had no f*cking clue. the bars were cut unevenly, fork was a mess on the inside and the frame had just about had it.

if you can inspect the bike beforehand, do so.

Posted: Dec 18, 2011 at 16:44 Quote
YT makes a decent looking DJ for L450 (i think)

Posted: Dec 22, 2011 at 4:06 Quote
Thank you all for your help guys really appreciate it, I think I am going to try and trade/sell my BMX first to raise some funds first so if you no anyone that is interested the link is below..

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/907338/

Again thank you for all your help, and i hope you all have a good Xmas
Steve Smile

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009658
Mobile Version of Website