Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 9:38 Quote
Hobo1337 wrote:
yeah i run an exo on the front and either a DD or a DH casing on the rear with Cush Core. Super stable, and been pretty lucky as far as punctures and the like go.

Have you tried exo casing rear with cush core?

O+
Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 10:09 Quote
What's the pros/cons of Exo or any lighter TR/AM reinforcements with a tire insert like Cushcore vs just running a beefier tire? I'd think in most cases, the beefier tire (SuperGravity, DD, WTB Tough, etc) would be about the same weight as lighter tire plus insert, but could be wrong.

O+
Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 10:14 Quote
PHeller wrote:
What's the pros/cons of Exo or any lighter TR/AM reinforcements with a tire insert like Cushcore vs just running a beefier tire? I'd think in most cases, the beefier tire (SuperGravity, DD, WTB Tough, etc) would be about the same weight as lighter tire plus insert, but could be wrong.

It seems like the beefier tires would be lighter than running a lightweight tire and cush core.

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 12:25 Quote
nubbs wrote:
Hobo1337 wrote:
yeah i run an exo on the front and either a DD or a DH casing on the rear with Cush Core. Super stable, and been pretty lucky as far as punctures and the like go.

Have you tried exo casing rear with cush core?

no i haven't, but it just so happens that while doing some shuttle runs this weekend i managed to double flat an exo front and a dd rear with cush core.

I wont run exo, likely will just have to run dh casing front and rear when racing in a couple weeks.

O+
Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 14:11 Quote
Holy hell man, you gotta pick better lines or lighten up on the bike a bit.

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 20:17 Quote
yeah just proper dh trails, if im shuttling i pretty much expect at least one flat. luckily buddy brought his extra wheelset with dh casing and double cush core. Im just very limited since I run a 29er.

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 20:18 Quote
Cough *hack* cough.

I am kidding! Y u no Convict???

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 20:26 Quote
I only run 29ers Fab Fab

can't deny I take some bad lines from time to time, but on trails with rocks every where its just inevitable

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 20:28 Quote
No man tires in 29 yet? WTB! Do my bidding!!!

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 20:47 Quote
double flatted some vigi tough casings not to long ago, need something a bit tougher still. Also excited for enves new rim strip system, seems to be perfect for my issues.

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 21:36 Quote
no doubt about it

Posted: Sep 6, 2017 at 5:31 Quote
Hey weight weenies, im hitting whislter in a few days and apparently people keep telling me I will die with the Bontrager xr4 half worned out that I have on my Trek Slash right now.

Any recommendation for good light and grippy tires that wont pinch flat even at 25 ish psi?

Has to be 27.5 and no more than 2.4. i dont have that much clearance on the slash frame or fork (not boost)

Thinking within the 700-900g range

Posted: Sep 6, 2017 at 5:47 Quote
drpepperrider2 wrote:
Hey weight weenies, im hitting whislter in a few days and apparently people keep telling me I will die with the Bontrager xr4 half worned out that I have on my Trek Slash right now.

Any recommendation for good light and grippy tires that wont pinch flat even at 25 ish psi?

Has to be 27.5 and no more than 2.4. i dont have that much clearance on the slash frame or fork (not boost)

So you need a tire that's grippy, medium volume, sturdy so doesn't pinch flat at low pressures and very light? I think we all need that tire lol

Get an Aggressor or High Roller 2 (2.3) in the rear and a DHF on the front (2.3 or 2.5). EXO casings. I wouldn't go any lighter than that really. Doesn't matter how light your tires are if they're not hooking up properly and you're skidding around. Better to save weight on basically everything else.

You could also look at Onza Ibex 2.4s or Specialized Butchers.

Run them tubeless like 28-30psi seeing as you're quite a big guy. I find much lower than 30 on EXO casings and they start to fold in corners. There's still loads of grip and malleability in the tire at 30psi.

Posted: Sep 6, 2017 at 6:19 Quote
tom666 wrote:
drpepperrider2 wrote:

So you need a tire that's grippy, medium volume, sturdy so doesn't pinch flat at low pressures and very light? I think we all need that tire lol

Get an Aggressor or High Roller 2 (2.3) in the rear and a DHF on the front (2.3 or 2.5). EXO casings. I wouldn't go any lighter than that really. Doesn't matter how light your tires are if they're not hooking up properly and you're skidding around. Better to save weight on basically everything else.

You could also look at Onza Ibex 2.4s or Specialized Butchers.

Run them tubeless like 28-30psi seeing as you're quite a big guy. I find much lower than 30 on EXO casings and they start to fold in corners. There's still loads of grip and malleability in the tire at 30psi.
I undetrstand. Honestly the Xr4 seems like they hold up fine for now, ive done a few park runs and a few endure runs and they haven't punctured yet (knock on wood). lol

And yeah That's what I read about the exo casing.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.036579
Mobile Version of Website