Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 12:41 Quote
sosburn wrote:
Get one of those full carbon seats on Amazon, theyre like 30 bucks and super light. Not super comfortable but youre not sitting anyways

Buddy has one that I think he is going to lend me for a bit. Kinda a bummer to replace a Yeti logo seat, but weight is weight.

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 13:05 Quote
If you shave the seat you'll still have the Yeti blue rails.

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 13:49 Quote
riish wrote:
moferenc wrote:
riish wrote:
What's the lifespan of an alloy NW ring?
I've been changing chains to keep the cassette in good shape, but they're starting to wear out quite a bit faster, thinking the ring might be why. Considering swapping out everything to a Sunrace+Radr setup, or simply going 11spd SLX.

I'm on my second season with a superstar nw ring. Swapping 3 chains/whatever kms. I went for the sunrace+zee+radr setup on the nomad, and it's okay.

I've had 4 years on my blackspire ring, and 2 years on the XT cassette. Probably the time to switch them both honestly.
Update: i need a new ring, La Zubia chewed a big chunk of it today..

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 16:56 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Lightest flat pedal that I could put on a pump track bike? Rules say no drivetrain, so no point in running my usual clipless..
Just run clipless if you've got it already.

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 17:05 Quote
bikeis4life wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
Lightest flat pedal that I could put on a pump track bike? Rules say no drivetrain, so no point in running my usual clipless..
Just run clipless if you've got it already.

Nah.. I'll kick it on flats for a pump track event where I don't have a chain.

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 17:56 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
sosburn wrote:
Get one of those full carbon seats on Amazon, theyre like 30 bucks and super light. Not super comfortable but youre not sitting anyways

Buddy has one that I think he is going to lend me for a bit. Kinda a bummer to replace a Yeti logo seat, but weight is weight.

I-Fly 2.0 + Carbon I-Beam Post. No better combo for weight-price-strength ratio. You’ll easily shave 200g off current setup and be considerably less sketchy.

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 17:59 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
sosburn wrote:

I-Fly 2.0 + Carbon I-Beam Post. No better combo for weight-price-strength ratio. You’ll easily shave 200g off current setup and be considerably less sketchy.

Never had the clap so close to my nether regions.. We will talk..

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 18:00 Quote
What's yer diameter? if it's 27.2, the lightest "adjustable" setup possible is pivotal with a plastic post, if it's anything above that shims and thinner wider posts wipe out the advantage.

For pedals, I think Xpedo Sprys are the reigning champs butttt Toronto Cycles obviously has some silly light stuff if you feel adventurous.

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 18:04 Quote
crs-one wrote:
What's yer diameter? if it's 27.2, the lightest "adjustable" setup possible is pivotal with a plastic post, if it's anything above that shims and thinner wider posts wipe out the advantage.

For pedals, I think Xpedo Sprys are the reigning champs butttt Toronto Cycles obviously has some silly light stuff if you feel adventurous.

30.9 post..

I may have a set of either MG1 or Twenty6 ti pedals sourced. but still going to look around since those are not particularly light.. But I am 200+ so weight savings there might not be as important..

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 18:18 Quote
crs-one wrote:

What’s the lightest you can get a Pivotal setup down to? Wonder how much lighter it is than the I-Beam setup with the increase in strength and fore/aft adjustability.

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 19:23 Quote
My current 27.2mm pivotal seatpost (plastic w/ alu core, cut short and drilled) weighs 52g, an unpadded seat weighs 170g. There's a heavy metal plate in the seat you can modify, and a big-ass steel bolt you can cut or replace with ti. Probably a total weight of 200g once the dust settles.

It's obviously not as adjustable but I don't know that it matters on a pumptrack. As far as strength goes - I'm 100% confident in the plastic nub of a post I'm running now. Between my friend and I it's been in service for 4-5 years, lots of drops and slipped pedals.

edit - jsut looked it up, damn that's a seriously light seat. For what it's worth, I had an aluminum 27.2mm I-Beam post cut to the same length and the same drilling as the current plastic pivotal. I think it was like 78 or so grams? So it's a tiny penalty for a lot more performance

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 19:34 Quote
We run these posts you can get off of eBay for like $70 called Hylix. In 400mm length, the 27.2 post weighs 152g. Cut and slammed you could probably get it down to sub-100g easily. You can find some carbon saddles on eBay that weigh around 120g. Then you've got a 220g seat and post combo, at the most.

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 19:47 Quote
crs-one wrote:
My current 27.2mm pivotal seatpost (plastic w/ alu core, cut short and drilled) weighs 52g, an unpadded seat weighs 170g. There's a heavy metal plate in the seat you can modify, and a big-ass steel bolt you can cut or replace with ti. Probably a total weight of 200g once the dust settles.

It's obviously not as adjustable but I don't know that it matters on a pumptrack. As far as strength goes - I'm 100% confident in the plastic nub of a post I'm running now. Between my friend and I it's been in service for 4-5 years, lots of drops and slipped pedals.

edit - jsut looked it up, damn that's a seriously light seat. For what it's worth, I had an aluminum 27.2mm I-Beam post cut to the same length and the same drilling as the current plastic pivotal. I think it was like 78 or so grams? So it's a tiny penalty for a lot more performance

That’s wild the post is that strong! I just assumed since it was plastic it’s not going to be that durable. But guess if not much of the post is exposed you’ll never have crazy amounts of leverage on it to break it. Pivotal setups always look so clean, just never ran one since I-Beam always worked for me and has gobs of adjustability (which I’d agree isn’t a factor for a pumptrack bike).

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 19:48 Quote
I am going to weigh my seat/post setup tomorrow when I throw a roadie seat on there.

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 20:12 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
crs-one wrote:

What’s the lightest you can get a Pivotal setup down to? Wonder how much lighter it is than the I-Beam setup with the increase in strength and fore/aft adjustability.
Xpedo sprys aren't strong or durable though. That's an adventure in itself.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.039811
Mobile Version of Website