Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 13:12 Quote
I have a feeling that the majority of busted wheels are due to people being lazy and not checking air pressures or they are burping air out while riding

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
Or not running realistic air pressure for their kook level. Or running burly enough tires, or picking good lines

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 14:00 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
My OEM Roval wheels have been good to me.. Shit kicked my 26" carbon Rovals on my 26" Enduro.. Then put them on my DJ bike and have beat on them for a long time on that bike. And I am hard on stuff. Have ran a few pair of their 28 hole 29" carbon wheels too with good luck..

It's funny how people will be hard on specific parts.. I have broke 6 frames, but never a set of wheels.. Where I have cutstomers who have killed lots of wheels but never a frame.

I'm in your camp lots of bent or damaged frames but my wheels last.

I am also particularly hard on upper shock mount bolts as well but my 230lbs may have something to do with that though. Weirdly though the lower bolts never bend

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
Circe wrote:
Or not running realistic air pressure for their kook level. Or running burly enough tires, or picking good lines

Overrated.. Haha

It's what jCarmichael and I were talking about a while back.... I don't get how people claim to run low 20s for tire pressure.

Being 200+ and a washed up hack of a rider, even with cush core, I still run 26-30psi with meaty tires.

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 14:13 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
Kitejumping wrote:
Using carbon wheels for legit DH is like running a f32 float on a dirt jump or street bike. It works if you're smooth, but give it to a street rider hucking 3s off stair sets and its going to explode. I still run carbon rims on most of my bikes because it climbs so fast but I have a vibrocore 350 spike wheelset now for reckless smashing.

With that being said, it looks like their quality control sucks these days. I met a santa cruz employee at the local DH park last summer and he said one of the big things for them making carbon in house wheels instead of using ENVE was quality control. Would buy reserves way before ENVEs if I didn't run china carbon.

How many wheelset/rears you go through last year?!!!! Know you like to break shit

Weareone composite all day long. Where my money is going, no question. i9 & sapim. Ain't cheap, but warranty takes the sting away

I've smashed enough that I plan on making a trash can out of stacked carbon fiber broken rims hahahahaha. Interestingly enough, the carbon rims on my dj bike have lasted the longest, probably cause they only see buttered up dirt.

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 14:41 Quote
RollinFoSho wrote:
I have a feeling that the majority of busted wheels are due to people being lazy and not checking air pressures or they are burping air out while riding

That definitely happens ... but it's not what happened to these Enve rims.

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 14:43 Quote
not saying that at all. Enve f'd up huge

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 14:44 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Circe wrote:

Overrated.. Haha

It's what jCarmichael and I were talking about a while back.... I don't get how people claim to run low 20s for tire pressure.

Being 200+ and a washed up hack of a rider, even with cush core, I still run 26-30psi with meaty tires.

I run low 22ish in my front and 26ish in the back EXO tires and no crush core same wheels 3 years.

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 20:32 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
Circe wrote:

Overrated.. Haha

I run low 22ish in my front and 26ish in the back EXO tires and no crush core same wheels 3 years.

My OEM Roval alloy wheels are pretty spanked after 15ish days of resort riding this year. I run Specialized 2.6 Butcher Grids and had cush core for 10 of those.. Wheels are not perfect anymore, but I also killed that enduro frame...

So another example of me killing a frame before I kill the wheels..

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 21:39 Quote
Sounds like you should be riding a DH bike

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 22:05 Quote
RollinFoSho wrote:
Sounds like you should be riding a DH bike

True.. It's a big year for me.. I have my first "modern" DH bike.. A 2011 Intense M9 with 27.5 wheels shoved into it.

Posted: Mar 2, 2019 at 1:23 Quote
I honestly think the whole review was absolute trash.

Any one of us could do the exact same thing with any other carbon rim if we wanted to and it means nothing.

Posted: Mar 2, 2019 at 3:48 Quote
RollinFoSho wrote:

People are always quick to follow what the pros (Enduro and DH) do, but the pros generally speaking are lighter dudes (~75kg), running DD tires, sometimes with insert.

They also don't have to care about the longevity of their parts that much, they get new shit all the time and it doesn't cost them anything. If they break a rim occasionally they're not going to sweat it that much.

Weekend warriors will be 90kg taking shit lines on single wall tires running 23psi no insert dinging their rim 5x a ride, telling all their friends they're hard on parts

Posted: Mar 2, 2019 at 5:48 Quote
Circe wrote:

It’s always the latter. No hiding that. But that’s part of the fun

Posted: Mar 2, 2019 at 9:39 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
I honestly think the whole review was absolute trash.

Any one of us could do the exact same thing with any other carbon rim if we wanted to and it means nothing.

Exactly! I run Enves. Love em...love the CS if I need it. Break one every time I go to Bootleg Canyon for my winter trip. Never a question on a replacement and it’s usually done within 3 weeks(sometimes sooner). Thing is: a person has to learn to ride that type of rocky terrain after being in a different area all summer. Land soft, bend your knees A LOT, and not pump the backsides to carry speed like most of us are used to doing. I’ve also hucked, hard into the one rock I should have avoided, here locally and cracked one. ANY rim in any of the mentioned scenarios is going to need warranty or be pitched. And the uncentered holes in the case of Enve wheels really doesn’t matter. The situation sucked for the tester for sure however!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.055224
Mobile Version of Website