Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 13:02 Quote
Cheers chaps.

badbadleroybrown wrote:
FiveTen is pretty tough to beat... any reason you don't want to stick with them or are you just looking to try something new?

Wouldn't mind trying something different (cheaper too ideally) 5Ten haven't got the best reputation for build quality.

Will have a look at the ride Concepts ones.

What model of Shimano shoes are you using Seraph?

My brother is a Vans Pro boi too.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 13:19 Quote
If you like the Stealth rubber then it could be worth checking out some of the Adidas Terrex range - they now use the same material, having bought 5Ten.
I'm on my second pair of their shoes (can't readily recall the model name) and they've lasted extremely well - the first pair survived about two years of year-round commuting 5-6 days a week, and weekend trail riding again in pretty much all weathers. Only bought replacements as I wore part of the sole through on the first pair, as they were comfy enough for me to leave on when I get home from work and take the dog for a walk (and still get used for that).
I think they're official classed as an "approach" shoe rather than an MTB one, but they're pretty light, stiff but not overly so, very comfortable, and generally cheaper than something with the 5Ten name on it.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 14:22 Quote
dingus wrote:
Cheers chaps.

badbadleroybrown wrote:
FiveTen is pretty tough to beat... any reason you don't want to stick with them or are you just looking to try something new?

Wouldn't mind trying something different (cheaper too ideally) 5Ten haven't got the best reputation for build quality.

I've got the older version of the GR9, with regular laces.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 22:10 Quote
dingus wrote:
Cheers chaps.

badbadleroybrown wrote:

IDK if you can get them in the UK, but unparallel look promising. I was checking them out at the sea otter.

Their rubber chemistry is done by one of the guys who did it for five ten before Adidas.

They also bought all the old Teva shoe tooling. The old Teva shoes were legit, but they were a little lacking in the rubber department.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
What other coil shocks have hydraulic bottom out? Do any of them?

Avalanche touts the "ABS" on it's on Montie inline coil, but I'm not sure it's a true hydraulic bottom out.

What are the advantages (at least in theory) to a hydraulic bottom out on a shock?

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 10:34 Quote
Similar question.. My Enduro is going into full bike park build.. MRP Bartlett or Boxxer fork, DH wheels, Codes, etc.. I have a DVO Topaz currently for a rear shock, but I have a buddy that wants the shock. I am back to exploring coil options since there are now the progressive springs available.

I know the Enduro runs a linear/regressive leverage rate and that's why air shocks were a must.. Even with air shocks I was running volume spacers to make shocks deal with big hits.. I am wondering if a coil shock with a progressive spring will handle big impacts or is its not going to be enough and blow through travel..

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 10:45 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Similar question.. My Enduro is going into full bike park build.. MRP Bartlett or Boxxer fork, DH wheels, Codes, etc.. I have a DVO Topaz currently for a rear shock, but I have a buddy that wants the shock. I am back to exploring coil options since there are now the progressive springs available.

I know the Enduro runs a linear/regressive leverage rate and that's why air shocks were a must.. Even with air shocks I was running volume spacers to make shocks deal with big hits.. I am wondering if a coil shock with a progressive spring will handle big impacts or is its not going to be enough and blow through travel..

I'm also curious about this, does anyone know what the progressive spring is equivalent to in terms of % of total possible volume spacers?

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 11:23 Quote
[Quote="seraph"]For me Shimano brakes have just absolute shit lever feel. Too black and white. I like the power of my brakes to vary as I pull the lever with different amounts of force. Shimano is just on or off, no in between. Plus the ergonomics of the Shimano levers are terrible for me.

Lastly, I think they're ugly. SRAM has a much more polished product.[/Quote

Want sexy? Trickstuff Maxima

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 11:28 Quote
Yeah, not interested at that price or lead time.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 11:30 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Yeah, not interested at that price or lead time.

9 months is a pretty ridiculous turn around time.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 11:40 Quote
The price is also out the window. I get expensive parts, I understand completely. There's no way on earth those are worth the asking price. There's so many other great brakes out there.

Edit; they're currently $1600 CAD. You can get into literally any Hope you want for under $700 (E4 Race is $320.) XTRs at $900. G2 Ultimates at just under $800. I'm sure they're great, but unless they come with a happy ending, that's an absolutely ludicrous amount of money.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 11:53 Quote
sherbet wrote:
The price is also out the window. I get expensive parts, I understand completely. There's no way on earth those are worth the asking price. There's so many other great brakes out there.

Edit; they're currently $1600 CAD. You can get into literally any Hope you want for under $700 (E4 Race is $320.) XTRs at $900. G2 Ultimates at just under $800. I'm sure they're great, but unless they come with a happy ending, that's an absolutely ludicrous amount of money.

Just needs a bigger hole......

Trickstuff Maxima review

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 12:04 Quote
i will say the quality and feel of my dirrettissima levers are beyond anything else. they are the shit. just ordered some piccola levers to try. that being said they are a ridiculous amount of money and hopes are amazing for the price. i do get the price of the trickstuff tho. from a manufacturing stand point i can see why they cost what they do

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 12:22 Quote
Why are $1000 EeWings acceptable but $1200 brakes are not?

In my opinion, which you'll probably all disagree with, is that the EeWings are more traditional manufactured item, they aren't that much different than steel or aluminum BMX crank construction. Maybe the fact that they require hand crafted welds makes them more expensive than the CNC manufacturing of Hope cranks or Maxima brakes.

More so, the Maxima brakes actually lead in some performance categories, like power, easy of setup, biodegradable oil, etc.

EeWings arent' the lightest, stiffest, or greenest, hell they don't even match some builds, but they hold the title as one of (if not) the most expensive cranks on the market.

If someone gave me $1200 and forced me to buy a set of cranks or a set of brakes, I'd definitely spend that money on the brakes. If I could spend it on anything bike related it'd probably be the Mezzer.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 12:30 Quote
Can you name any other non-carbon cranks at the 400g mark? I can wait.

Nobody is going to question if the Maxima is a better brake; it had fucking better be at that price.

Ps, you couldn't get those brakes for $1200 USD. They're about $1220 USD plus tax, shipping, and import fees.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024614
Mobile Version of Website