Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 21:25 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
I really really want to get on a sprag clutch hub..

It's just every time I need a set of wheels, DT350 hubs always hit the cheap/light/strong formula and keep me from get into a Onyx /stealth setup.

I like them for ebikes and dislike them for pretty much everything else.

Sooooo... Pretty much perfect for me?

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 21:27 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
Hadley yes. I9 noooooo. Would never buy.

Why do you hate them so much?

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 21:28 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
I really really want to get on a sprag clutch hub..

It's just every time I need a set of wheels, DT350 hubs always hit the cheap/light/strong formula and keep me from get into a Onyx /stealth setup.

Potentially? If you can get a good deal on one there's no harm in trying it out.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 21:32 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
Tsoxbhk wrote:

Hate would be strong. Bearing life here with the fine moon dust is not great from my experience.

O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 21:33 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Potentially? If you can get a good deal on one there's no harm in trying it out.

Onyx was running an interbike (RIP) special 2 years ago and I was so close to pulling the trigger.. But I didn't need hubs at the time.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 21:42 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

Onyx was running an interbike (RIP) special 2 years ago and I was so close to pulling the trigger.. But I didn't need hubs at the time.
Probably a good thing you waited. The older hg freehub bodies where prone to shattering under certain circumstances.

O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 21:43 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
hmstuna wrote:
Tsoxbhk wrote:

Hate would be strong. Bearing life here with the fine moon dust is not great from my experience.

How long do you get from your bearings? It’s all moon dust here, and I’m usually good for a couple of seasons easily on my I9’s.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 22:00 Quote
Circe wrote:
Meanwhile, my Hadley’s and Industry Nine hubs are all “that’s cute.”

I've seen so many more I9 hubs blow up than DT. And when you need a new driver from I9 be prepared to pay out the ass.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 22:01 Quote
seraph wrote:
Circe wrote:
Meanwhile, my Hadley’s and Industry Nine hubs are all “that’s cute.”

I've seen so many more I9 hubs blow up than DT. And when you need a new driver from I9 be prepared to pay out the ass.

This...

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 22:57 Quote
Many of us here have broken a hub, but some probably haven't. It's odd that people have such strong opinions on hubs, especially for those who haven't broken one.

It's also odd that we give a pass to some hubs that weigh up to 200 g more for the rear or 100 g more for the front. The new DT 180 hubs weigh 240 g less than Chris King, for example. Imagine how invincible DT could make those hubs if they allowed themselves nearly double the current weight.

It's a shame the Kappius KH-1 hub didn't catch on. We have weak hub drivers, poor bearing spacing, and huge, heavy cassettes with wasted volume that could be filled with something that solves both problems.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 23:09 Quote
I have broken hub flanges and hub shells and slipped pawls and cracked an axle. Shit happens.

Industry Nine has been exceptional in their customer service, so hats off to them.

I don’t like DT hubs because I prefer better engagement. Simple as that. More engagement, more better.

I would give a pass to something like an Onyx or True Precision hub for weighing 200 g more than DT because it’s dead silent. How cool is that? I’d take Hadley’s, Industry Nine, or profile hubs because that near-instant engagement is addicting.

We’re allowed to like other things. If we all adhered to the RMR school of thought, we’d all be riding Horst link aluminum bikes with black DT hubs. Sounds boring.

Now, can we get back to dreaming about an internally geared hub/gearbox with zero drag and no weight penalty?

O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 23:11 Quote
Circe wrote:
I have broken hub flanges and hub shells and slipped pawls and cracked an axle. Shit happens.

Industry Nine has been exceptional in their customer service, so hats off to them.

I don’t like DT hubs because I prefer better engagement. Simple as that. More engagement, more better.

I would give a pass to something like an Onyx or True Precision hub for weighing 200 g more than DT because it’s dead silent. How cool is that? I’d take Hadley’s, Industry Nine, or profile hubs because that near-instant engagement is addicting.

We’re allowed to like other things. If we all adhered to the RMR school of thought, we’d all be riding Horst link aluminum bikes with DT hubs. Sounds boring.

Now, can we get back to dreaming about an internally geared hub/gearbox with zero drag and no weight penalty?

Tag an e motor and battery on there for a 5lb penalty and I am in.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 23:14 Quote
You ridden an SL? I rode the second from the top this weekend. 37.14 lbs with my one up pedals.

I I would strip the tank battery out, run the little booster, and use it to ride 15-25% on my after work loop. Could get it real light.

To bad the geometry is horrible. Bottoms out easily, it has the reach of a child’s push bike, and seat tube angle dragged me back into the 90s!

O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 23:25 Quote
I've had no issues with my P321 hubs, light, low drag, quiet, high engagement, and quality bearings. After riding these for a few years I can't go back to low engagement or loud.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 23:25 Quote
Circe wrote:

We’re allowed to like other things. If we all adhered to the RMR school of thought, we’d all be riding Horst link aluminum bikes with black DT hubs. Sounds boring.

I adore my onyx hubs. I’m on my second set. The absolute silence and instant takeoff more than compensates for the weight penalty and price tag. King, I9, and Hadley have also served me well. But the Onxy by far are my faves.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.036651
Mobile Version of Website