Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Author Message
Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 12:02 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
PHeller wrote:
This community is great.

If a product has issues, we're bound to know about it.

Certainly a perk when you combine pessimists and the internet.

If I listened to PB I would never buy any bike or part ever. Except Eewings maybe, very little hate on those.

However there are great benefits to PB and when you combine optimists and the internet great things happen, as evidenced by this package I got in the mail today sent by an awesome dude (I guess most will recognize the logo)

Guess who I am so happy I can barely type thank you so so much man

Cheers to all Beer Beer Beer

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 12:11 Quote
Did you buy an axle or just asked for the swag?

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 12:20 Quote
nubbs wrote:
The Moto zipp rims....

When you have just the rim in your hand and compress it vertically they feel like soft expensive noodle. Compresses easier than an alu stans rim etc. Easily the softest rim ive fondled.

They're not worth it imo. Especially with the same old sram hub if you buy the zipp wheelset.

Co worker reports feeling both wheels flexing around in hardpack berms. Gross.

It's a tensile structure, so there's no need for the rim to have radial stiffness without spokes. As we've discovered with earlier carbon rims, it's better if it doesn't.

Maybe the solution is more spokes and/or more bracing angle to maintain lateral stiffness while retaining the radial compliance. The design has potential, but needs some evolution.

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 12:42 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Did you buy an axle or just asked for the swag?

Yeah when you buy an axle you get a selection of 10 beers for free, just be sure at checkout to enter the promo code "PHellerdoesn'tknowhowfriendshipswork"

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 12:51 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
PHeller wrote:
Did you buy an axle or just asked for the swag?

Yeah when you buy an axle you get a selection of 10 beers for free, just be sure at checkout to enter the promo code "PHellerdoesn'tknowhowfriendshipswork"

GODDAMN that was funny

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 12:59 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
PHeller wrote:
Did you buy an axle or just asked for the swag?

Yeah when you buy an axle you get a selection of 10 beers for free, just be sure at checkout to enter the promo code "PHellerdoesn'tknowhowfriendshipswork"


f*ckin made my day!

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 13:06 Quote
I think the zipp moto wheels need a super stiff sidewall low profile tire, you know like a moto tire.

They are like halfway there right now, but the aspect ratio of mtb tires is just ridiculous. I think one or the other is good, need compliance to come from somewhere. Big light bulb shaped tires I think are never gonna perform well on a rim like the zip.

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 13:10 Quote
skerby wrote:
light bulb shaped tires I think are never gonna perform well

Period.

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 13:12 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
SileTzar wrote:
PHeller wrote:
Did you buy an axle or just asked for the swag?

Yeah when you buy an axle you get a selection of 10 beers for free, just be sure at checkout to enter the promo code "PHellerdoesn'tknowhowfriendshipswork"


f*ckin made my day!

that cucumber crush stuff is delicious. Nice care package, way to be. Whattheheel and I have been sending the same diaper back and forth now for 3 packages. last time I also got a lot of soy sauce, some pepper and sixlets.

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 15:02 Quote
Clap texts me cute baby photos. So I have that going for me.

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 16:10 Quote
skerby wrote:
I think the zipp moto wheels need a super stiff sidewall low profile tire, you know like a moto tire.

They are like halfway there right now, but the aspect ratio of mtb tires is just ridiculous. I think one or the other is good, need compliance to come from somewhere. Big light bulb shaped tires I think are never gonna perform well on a rim like the zip.

Kinda silly for a company like SRAM to market a wheel that needs a specific type of tire, and then not tell you which type of tire that is.

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 17:36 Quote
I've been back and forth with Dkidd about a special unicorn beer...which I have never received!?! Wtf Dkidd

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 18:57 Quote
No problems with my Zipp Moto rims. First set is laced to King hubs. I'm building a second set with Onyx hubs for new Nomad.

I love 'em, but note that I am light in weight, and don't push very hard on my rims. They certainly look the part!

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 22:02 Quote
fredro wrote:
No problems with my Zipp Moto rims. First set is laced to King hubs. I'm building a second set with Onyx hubs for new Nomad.

I love 'em, but note that I am light in weight, and don't push very hard on my rims. They certainly look the part!

My coworker is light, but he punishes his bike. He had them on a 2020 S-Works Enduro. Had to swap them out for the stock Roval Traverse wheels. :'(

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 0:33 Quote
nubbs wrote:
The Moto zipp rims....

When you have just the rim in your hand and compress it vertically they feel like soft expensive noodle. Compresses easier than an alu stans rim etc. Easily the softest rim ive fondled.

They're not worth it imo. Especially with the same old sram hub if you buy the zipp wheelset.

Co worker reports feeling both wheels flexing around in hardpack berms. Gross.

There are no berms in my area, much like hot singles.
I wanted these rims for the extra traction on off camber corners and roots, and I will be runnning mostly DH casings.

From what I can understand, the hubs are nothing special, neither good nor bad, would it be worth relacing to a better hubset at a later date then?


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.033345
Mobile Version of Website