Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 9:27 Quote
Onyx hubs. Expensive, heavy, but dead silent and instant engagement.

Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 9:31 Quote
fredro wrote:
Onyx hubs. Expensive, heavy, but dead silent and instant engagement.

The weight is what kills me. Wish they could find a way to get them at least in the ballpark of other high end hubs. Wouldn’t mind them on a DH or Enduro bike, but I have to take a pass for Downcountry ;-P

Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 9:32 Quote
Onyx also has a fairly mushy engagement, to the point you can feel the mush with the wheel in your lap spinning the cassette. They're beautiful, roll dummy fast, but don't think I'd ever get a set.

We've built up some wheels on Vault hubs, pretty darn good honestly. The pawls being in the shell rather than the freehub is dope.

I will also say you can pack i9s with judy butter or dumond grease and really tone down the noise a lot, but they're still a long way from silent. About as loud as Vaults, honestly.

Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 9:53 Quote
My Tune hubs are the quietest hub I've ever ridden. I can make them a little louder if I bother to disassemble and lube with Dri Slide. Normally I like my hubs pretty loud though. DT, Project 321, new I9, etc.

Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 9:55 Quote
Og onyx's are good though stupid heavy. In my experience the Vespers are poorly engineered and kinda suck, particularly for the price. Do not recommend.

I'd be curious to see the box silent hubs.

Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 9:57 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
Og onyx's are good though stupid heavy. In my experience the Vespers are poorly engineered and kinda suck, particularly for the price. Do not recommend.

I'd be curious to see the box silent hubs.

Yeah we had a few Vespers come in with broken clutches, it seems like they should have done the 2x sprag instead of the single.

Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 11:03 Quote
Vespers also have bad seals on the clutches. Got water in them all the time here in the pnw. They don't use seals on many of the bearings in the hubs. The preload system is weird and finicky and far too sensitive to axle torque. Also the flange diameters on the front hub are daft.

Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 11:04 Quote
My onyx hubs are on my park/enduro bike so I don’t mind the weight. Don’t even notice it tbh. The engagement while ratchet pedaling is awesome through rocky gnar sections of the trail, especially with the low bb on Santa Cruz frames.

Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 17:20 Quote
My CK hubs are very quiet. I actually like the tone they make when i can hear them.

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 21:38 Quote
Shimano ever going to release true Sylence Hubs?

Posted: Jul 4, 2021 at 16:44 Quote
PHeller wrote:

It's not like they don't know how to make true silent hubs, ref. Silent Clutch hubs (we specced em on all the bikes we built for our local PD's) but they were damned heavy compared to bog standard LX hubs.

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2021 at 17:45 Quote
Most shimano hubs are pretty quiet to begin with at least the ones I had back in the day. I haven't played with any of their newer hubs or know anyone running them.

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2021 at 18:18 Quote
PHeller wrote:

Nope they aint.

The new 12 speed Shimano (xt and xtr atleast) are silent at trail speed the face gears dont contact each other when coasting. However when the hub engages halfway kind of and sound like a chris king/dt ratchet combo if you ask me

I really liked mine until the rear axle snapped on a trail ride. (new axle coming in 2023 july or something lol) Loose ball bearings and 100pt engagement vary nice.

Posted: Jul 6, 2021 at 14:59 Quote
my new DT240s EXP with 54t ratchet isnt anywhere near as loud as i expected, quieter than hope pro2/pro4's ive had in the past

Posted: Jul 6, 2021 at 15:36 Quote
I find DT's EXP to be the perfect balance of noisy without being obnoxious.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.054559
Mobile Version of Website