Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: May 20, 2022 at 17:31 Quote
Enduro breaks bolts, SJ breaks shocks

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 17:34 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Isn't there also a problem with the Enduro with it crushing rocks/ frames near the bottom pivot?
the guard over the pull link keeps most stuff out but I’ve heard it can happen.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 18:21 Quote
How have the newest Levos been? Are the aluminum frames ok?

O+
Posted: May 20, 2022 at 19:27 Quote
Circe wrote:
How have the newest Levos been? Are the aluminum frames ok?

I rode my 2021 once and it hasn't broke yet. Not what your asking but my attempt at being relevant.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 19:27 Quote
I know this technically isnt a xc bike discussion but I can't seem to find a better place to ask.
I am looking at 2 used bikes, one is older with slightly steeper geometry but around 23lbs. The other is newer, slightly slacker geometry, more travel, and probably more fun to ride, but it weighs 26lbs. I race in the highschool level for xc with 5 or so fairly competitive races, but overall 98% of my riding would be not racing.
So I just wanted some people opinions on if 3lbs would make enough of a difference to get the lighter bike.

This is the lighter bike- https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3266384/
And the heiver bike- https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3205977/

PS. Are there any upgrades that could make the pivot a pound or two lighter without breaking the bank?

O+
Posted: May 20, 2022 at 19:36 Quote
Buy the heavier bike and pedal harder.. Or buy the more fun bike and build yourself a hardtail for courses that it would be faster.

I wouldn't touch that old sworks as a high school kid. It has aging proprietary suspension that is not going to be cheap or a longterm great solution for a kid.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 20:26 Quote
I’ve spent some time on that generation of 429 SL. It’s a blast. Efficient, light, playful. I recall it bottomed out quickly, but you could add more air or volume spacers. It’s also a very quick handling bike. An angle set might help or offset bushings.

That generation Shimano drivetrain is bomber. Maybe you can find a wider casette if you find yourself struggling uphills?

I agree with Swann. Hard pass on the Specialized for me. Not sure 2x and Rs1 is actually lighter either.

O+
Posted: May 20, 2022 at 21:27 Quote
I’m not sure I’d do either and instead go for Chinese carbon 29er but not every kid has me for a Dad.

Hard to believe bikes that old still sell for $3500, so Pivot.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 22:18 Quote
Circe wrote:
I’ve spent some time on that generation of 429 SL. It’s a blast. Efficient, light, playful. I recall it bottomed out quickly, but you could add more air or volume spacers. It’s also a very quick handling bike. An angle set might help or offset bushings.

That generation Shimano drivetrain is bomber. Maybe you can find a wider casette if you find yourself struggling uphills?

I agree with Swann. Hard pass on the Specialized for me. Not sure 2x and Rs1 is actually lighter either.
I’d stay away from anything with the Brain.

So +1 for the pivot.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 23:31 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Circe wrote:

I’d stay away from anything with the Brain.

So +1 for the pivot.
+1 more for the Pivot

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 5:45 Quote
Thanks everyone!

O+
Posted: May 21, 2022 at 14:57 Quote
GDub202 wrote:
I know this technically isnt a xc bike discussion but I can't seem to find a better place to ask.
I am looking at 2 used bikes, one is older with slightly steeper geometry but around 23lbs. The other is newer, slightly slacker geometry, more travel, and probably more fun to ride, but it weighs 26lbs. I race in the highschool level for xc with 5 or so fairly competitive races, but overall 98% of my riding would be not racing.
So I just wanted some people opinions on if 3lbs would make enough of a difference to get the lighter bike.

This is the lighter bike- https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3266384/
And the heiver bike- https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3205977/

PS. Are there any upgrades that could make the pivot a pound or two lighter without breaking the bank?

None of the HS tracks in CO are really going to challenge dh capabilities of either bike (just because they have to make them more rideable to all the riders).On the HS level it's down to how hard you're training/ how much your legs can take = uphill speed. So I'd say go for the Spec, and try to change it to a 1X setup. But I'll still be cheering for the kids I coach to give you hell Razz

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 17:07 Quote
My 100% Speedcrafts recently got stolen from my car, and it's getting hot around here so I'm in the market for some new riding glasses.

Anyone have recommendations? I've been looking at Smith Wildcats, Bobcats, or maybe another pair of Speedcrafts.

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 22:53 Quote
Nobble wrote:
My 100% Speedcrafts recently got stolen from my car, and it's getting hot around here so I'm in the market for some new riding glasses.

Anyone have recommendations? I've been looking at Smith Wildcats, Bobcats, or maybe another pair of Speedcrafts.

I love my Smith Reverbs, stupid light and good coverage without looking super Euro

O+
Posted: May 23, 2022 at 9:17 Quote
Shimano CE-TCNM1 riding glasses are my fave! They cool and not too big-lensed vibin which I like... They never fog out on me and don't come with silly blackout lenses...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.091210
Mobile Version of Website