Customer Project: 1x4 rigid 29'er

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Customer Project: 1x4 rigid 29'er
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 9, 2012 at 9:33 Quote
RobbyBriers wrote:
Dr-Glocktipus wrote:
In eliminated wheel dish you loose lateral rigidity and ultimate strength, so it's not all it's cracked up to be. The flanges are closer together so more of the spoke tension is radial instead of lateral. Unfortunately bicycle wheels are already plenty strong radially, most fail because the rims bend too far laterally, the spoke tension at the opposite ends of the bend then pulls the rim into a taco shape.

I prefer off-center rims to get spoke tension even but there aren't many in production for mountain bikes.

Then why do all DH bikes have a 150mm hub with same specs? Front wheels are nearly all symetric too.

EDIT: the flanges are further away from each other, making the wheel stiffer latterally.

you guys are taking this into the stratosphere....i am getting lost on this thread,...damn

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 at 9:39 Quote
Dr-Glocktipus wrote:
In eliminated wheel dish you loose lateral rigidity and ultimate strength, so it's not all it's cracked up to be. The flanges are closer together so more of the spoke tension is radial instead of lateral. Unfortunately bicycle wheels are already plenty strong radially, most fail because the rims bend too far laterally, the spoke tension at the opposite ends of the bend then pulls the rim into a taco shape.

I prefer off-center rims to get spoke tension even but there aren't many in production for mountain bikes.

Actually they aren't. That's the point of singlespeed hubs, reduced freehub body length so the flanges are wider. True for Hope, Hadley, CK, Industry 9, and basically everyone.

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 at 9:47 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Dr-Glocktipus wrote:
The flanges are closer together

Actually they aren't. That's the point of singlespeed hubs, reduced freehub body length so the flanges are wider. True for Hope, Hadley, CK, Industry 9, and basically everyone.

Thank you, sir! Salute

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 4:33 Quote
O rite, forgot we were talking about SS hubs.

I've just heard that marketing BS on so many road bike wheels it's become an instant reaction.

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 20:35 Quote
So are we ever gonna see pics or what!? Razz
This sounds like an interesting project and one I'm sure quite a few people would be interested in as well. I like the idea of fewer gears, for sure.

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 23:05 Quote
lumberjerk wrote:
So are we ever gonna see pics or what!? Razz
This sounds like an interesting project and one I'm sure quite a few people would be interested in as well. I like the idea of fewer gears, for sure.

The parts won't be in until next week. I will snap some shots of the bike when I get a chance though.

Posted: Nov 4, 2013 at 13:52 Quote
Was there ever a final photo?

Posted: Nov 4, 2013 at 15:36 Quote
I don't think so. It did work but the guy mostly rides his Soulcraft Tradesman now. Though his next project is a Lynskey titanium 650b hardtail that I am building for him. Full XO1 and a WTB KOM wheelset.

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2013 at 23:07 Quote
That would slay some trail here.

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2013 at 23:08 Quote
Fork? I vote slant!

Posted: Nov 5, 2013 at 0:06 Quote
lumberjerk wrote:
Fork? I vote slant!

Probably a SID XX 120mm.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013866
Mobile Version of Website