Is it possible to use mtb hubs with 700c rims

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 9, 2012 at 11:43 Quote

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 at 11:57 Quote
What's the application and your reasons for wanting to do this?

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 at 12:20 Quote
Yes you can, but they won't fit on most road or CX frames because the dropout spacing is different. Wheels will build fine, no problems, but getting them on the right bike might be a different story.

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 at 22:03 Quote
the point is I have an old DH rig that has a crack in the frame put is still good enough to commute with I just want to get a but load of speed out of it I will be changing to gears also after I figure out what size I will need

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2012 at 22:15 Quote
damn you've been a member for 12 years and this is your first postEek

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 1:34 Quote
Doubt your frame and forks will have room for the larger wheels. Better to just stick on some 1.5 slicks or something.

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 10:24 Quote
yomo wrote:

yes it is, depending on your frame / fork

custom built Specialized Crosstrail with rigid fork full length mudguards and 1 x 9 gearing

this is my Specialized Crosstrail with Shimano Deore MTB hubs and Mavic 700c rims

this frame has 135mm OLD rear dropout spacing and 100mm OLD front fork spacing (I am using a Kona Project II hybrid fork rather than the original Suntour suspension fork)

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 11:45 Quote
They make 26" slicks and commuter tires...might make your life a bit easier unless you really want a larger wheel for the road.

Posted: Feb 14, 2012 at 9:06 Quote
My frame is a 2001 Brodie 8 Ball and fork is a 2004 Monster T

Posted: Feb 15, 2012 at 5:47 Quote
yomo wrote:
the point is I have an old DH rig that has a crack in the frame put is still good enough to commute with I just want to get a but load of speed out of it I will be changing to gears also after I figure out what size I will need

I put Messenger slicks on a burly bike years ago and it tore around like a road bike almost (geometry aside obviously). I believe they were Panaracer but there are lots of 26" road tires that would be much easier and safer than building up your proposed wheel and bending dropouts...

I believe the tires I used are Messenger T Serv kevlar 1.25x26 and let me tell you they grrrrrip and rrrrip.

Good luck and please let us know...

A.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2012 at 11:24 Quote
To actually answer the actual question: Yes if the number of spoke holes in the hub and rim are the same. You can build that wheel. It may fit in some or even most MTB frames. The hub may not fit in some road bikes, although, if its a steel frame and non disk brake you may be able to squeeze it in, but not recommended.

I'll use this space to vent a little. And if you have a specialized sirrus cross bike like me, it will not fit as the rear end is 120mm spacing and only the original specialized hub will fit. The bike is hanging up for want of a rear wheel.

Posted: Feb 17, 2012 at 19:42 Quote
leverfingers wrote:
To actually answer the actual question:...

Yes we swayed a little OT however the wheel compatibility is not what gives us the speed so I thought it was relevant.

The OP's needs:
bigquotesthe point is I have an old DH rig that has a crack in the frame put is still good enough to commute with I just want to get a but load of speed out of it I will be changing to gears also after I figure out what size I will need

A.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014096
Mobile Version of Website