Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Apr 29, 2023 at 8:40 Quote
indigo44 wrote:
Looking to get my first DH bike. Ive been riding trail for about 8 years and I'd say I'm a pretty capable trail rider. I'm torn between Transition TR11 and a Trek Session 8. I'm 5'5 so the SM TR11 seems like to would fit better(410 reach vs 440 reach on the trek) Do you guys have any suggestions? Is there such thing as a beginner friendly DH bike?

Treks sizing guide puts you in the middle of their small size frame. Transitions sizing guide puts you right at the top of their small or at the bottom of their medium.

Assuming you already own a trail bike, there is little point in downsizing your choice of dh bike, on the grounds that you will ride the trail bike on tamer trails and save the dh bike for properly serious dh tracks. On that logic alone, I'd be looking at the small trek or medium transition in your position.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2023 at 20:08 Quote
indigo44 wrote:
Looking to get my first DH bike. Ive been riding trail for about 8 years and I'd say I'm a pretty capable trail rider. I'm torn between Transition TR11 and a Trek Session 8. I'm 5'5 so the SM TR11 seems like to would fit better(410 reach vs 440 reach on the trek) Do you guys have any suggestions? Is there such thing as a beginner friendly DH bike?

What is your trail bike? What kind of riding are you looking to be doing on the DH bike?

Posted: Apr 30, 2023 at 4:20 Quote
I ride a 2018 Bronson V2 150mm travel front and rear. I’m going to be riding Mountain Creek Bike Park in NJ as well as Powder Ridge, Windham and all the North East US bike parks.

Posted: Apr 30, 2023 at 17:46 Quote
Are you looking ride more flow or tech trails?

Posted: Apr 30, 2023 at 19:05 Quote
Michael-co wrote:
I’m interested in all of it. From flow jump lines to monster trucking steep tech.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2023 at 21:14 Quote
indigo44 wrote:
Michael-co wrote:
I’m interested in all of it. From flow jump lines to monster trucking steep tech.

Either of those 2 bikes are ok for you. Maybe the shorter one will be easier for you to get more comfortable on. Just use it as a stepping stone bike to figure out what you like. Maybe next season you sell it and get something else.

Spend time on this first bike figuring out how to set up your suspension. That will be the biggest change on the bike and won’t cost you anything. Tons of a great videos on YouTube about how to get your bike set up.

Posted: May 1, 2023 at 11:09 Quote
I'd still go for the longer bike. Monster trucking steep tech on a small bike will be far worse than flow lines on a big bike, unless you are planning on any 360 tucknohander backflip can cans any time soon.

Bigger bikes are more stable and more forgiving, and you already have a very capable 150 trail bike for the flow stuff. Monstertrucking steep tech is what dh bikes are for, 150 trail bikes is what flow lines are for.

Posted: May 1, 2023 at 20:52 Quote
Trying to sell my dh bike asap and have gone as far as lowering it to just 1k because of how urgently I need it gone but it still won’t sell… need advice on getting it gone need the cash.. I can send photos if needed it’s a 2012 Rocky Mountain flatline World Cup but it has a ton of modern upgrades including the fork, shock, drivetrain, brakes and the frame bearings where all replaced this past month… plus new tires and coil conversion for the 2017 boxxer World Cup included. It’s got lots more done but idk why it won’t sell everything is very clean and working very well.

Posted: May 1, 2023 at 21:42 Quote
Keep it in the Buy/sell section. No need to discuss here. All of us have things to sell lol. Be patient.

Posted: May 1, 2023 at 21:56 Quote
Alright fair enough just thought this would be a question for this thread looking for tips and stuff

Posted: May 1, 2023 at 23:53 Quote
Plenty of photos of the bad bits as well as the good bits.

Posted: May 2, 2023 at 5:28 Quote
Tips on writing a rider resume for dh races? maybe a free tool to help create it? (i'm looking for higher level sponsorships like enve as i am racing at a high level)

Posted: May 2, 2023 at 8:56 Quote
brady7brady wrote:
Trying to sell my dh bike asap and have gone as far as lowering it to just 1k because of how urgently I need it gone but it still won’t sell… need advice on getting it gone need the cash.. I can send photos if needed it’s a 2012 Rocky Mountain flatline World Cup but it has a ton of modern upgrades including the fork, shock, drivetrain, brakes and the frame bearings where all replaced this past month… plus new tires and coil conversion for the 2017 boxxer World Cup included. It’s got lots more done but idk why it won’t sell everything is very clean and working very well.

How much are you asking? With respect, if someone is in the market for a DH bike, the Flatline design is fairly outdated... there are a lot of single crown bikes that will outperform it now. I think it would have to be inexpensive/very low price for someone to buy that instead of invest in a modern DH rig.

Posted: May 2, 2023 at 9:53 Quote
MT36 wrote:
brady7brady wrote:

How much are you asking? With respect, if someone is in the market for a DH bike, the Flatline design is fairly outdated... there are a lot of single crown bikes that will outperform it now. I think it would have to be inexpensive/very low price for someone to buy that instead of invest in a modern DH rig.

I’m asking 1000$

Mod
Posted: May 2, 2023 at 10:39 Quote
brady7brady wrote:
MT36 wrote:
brady7brady wrote:

I’m asking 1000$
you can get a diamondback DB8 in decent condtion, tapered headtube, modern angles 27.5 wheels and all for 800 usd/1100 cad. seems like a high asking price. DH bike prices are tanking

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.031528
Mobile Version of Website