Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 at 14:14 Quote
Howdy. Can anybody here guess what could speak against a 275 in XL at 187 cm (6,2 I guess) with 88 cm inseam? Would appreciate any comments on that.

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 17:13 Quote
Got the CCDB coil pretty well sorted after a couple more riding days and today was the day to try it out back to back against the Monarch+. Went to a local skills park that has a good jump line and a good...well, "mountain bike" line (lots of rocks, drops, some jumps and berms along with some wood features. Started with the Monarch+ on it.

Monarch+
The bike is more fun on jump lines with the air shock, without a doubt. It's just more lively and fun on berms, jumps and drops. Rode the rocky lines and thought "yep, I can't imagine I'll like the coil more as that was great"... and then I put the coil back on...

CCDB Coil
Good lord is the bike composed with the coil on when the terrain gets rough. It just doesn't care about bad line choice or poor body position...it smashes through with rock solid traction the entire time. It climbs better too as there is endless traction. It's PLANTED, FAST and FUN as hell in the rough stuff... But planted is kind of not what you want on the jump sections. I sped up the rebound 1/4 turn and it helped (any more and it would buck though), but it's just no where near as lively as the air shock.

Conclusion
I don't know. Problem is, I like jump lines. I also like rock sections equally as much. I ride bikes for fun and each one offers up a very different kind of fun. Not really interested in swapping shocks depending on the type of trails I plan to ride. I'm still get pedal strikes often with the coil where it's a non-issue on the air shock. If it wasn't for the pedal strikes, I'd probably stick to the coil shock but pedal strikes have put me on the ground 3-4 times now on this shock.

[Quote="Ed284"]
Ed284 wrote:
My shock of choice for my Mega 290 is the DVO Topaz. I was lucky enough to get the CCDB included into the purchase of the bike which I purchased second hand. I throw the coil on every once and awhile to mix it up but I use the Topaz for 90% of my riding.

Thanks man, I might see if I can find a good deal on a used Topaz. Hoping maybe it can out do the Monarch in the rough stuff?

Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 1:32 Quote
Hi, I wonder if any of you Mega owners can help. My friend has a 2016 Mega, and recently had all of the bearings replaced by a LBS. She noticed this wear on the upper linkage and it appears that the gap between the two sides is uneven. Can anyone tell me if there are spacers behind these bearings (and one could be missing)?

The exploded diagram from 2016 doesn't seem to show any spacers. If there aren't any spacers, has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

mega wear

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 10:37 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
Hi, I wonder if any of you Mega owners can help. My friend has a 2016 Mega, and recently had all of the bearings replaced by a LBS. She noticed this wear on the upper linkage and it appears that the gap between the two sides is uneven. Can anyone tell me if there are spacers behind these bearings (and one could be missing)?

The exploded diagram from 2016 doesn't seem to show any spacers. If there aren't any spacers, has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

mega wear

There are no spacers in the upper swing link. There are two flanged bearings that press into the upper rear triangle from each direction. The flanged bearing is a special bearing that has a wider inner race that acts as a shim to create a gap between the upper rear traingle and rocker link. There is a chance the LBS used the wrong bearings or applied too much force to the bearings during installation where the gap is no longer present. I had some problems with this when I replaced my bearings awhile back.

Is that a crack on frame next to the linkage bolt?

Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 12:36 Quote
Ed284 wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:

Thanks

mega wear

There are no spacers in the upper swing link. There are two flanged bearings that press into the upper rear triangle from each direction. The flanged bearing is a special bearing that has a wider inner race that acts as a shim to create a gap between the upper rear traingle and rocker link. There is a chance the LBS used the wrong bearings or applied too much force to the bearings during installation where the gap is no longer present. I had some problems with this when I replaced my bearings awhile back.

Is that a crack on frame next to the linkage bolt?

nah it's the end of the invisiframe. Ok I'll check the bearing codes and strip it down. Thanks

O+
Posted: Nov 5, 2018 at 0:35 Quote
Nukeproof Mega 2019

Got my new bike the other day, loving it so far. feels quite harsh some times may see if removing a token front and rear helps

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 at 21:48 Quote
Has anyone put a coil on their 2018+ Mega 290 yet?

Right now I'm running the RockShox Super Deluxe RC3 with no tokens. I'm 230 lbs and the Super Deluxe without any tokens has been less than stellar. I've been wondering if a coil would be better. Been looking at EXT, Ohlins or CCDB. My one concern is that I might not be able find a spring heavier enough for me.

Thoughts??

Here is the build now.

2018 Nukeproof Mega 290 XL

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 at 22:12 Quote
nagaredama wrote:

Right now I'm running the RockShox Super Deluxe RC3 with no tokens. I'm 230 lbs and the Super Deluxe without any tokens has been less than stellar. I've been wondering if a coil would be better. Been looking at EXT, Ohlins or CCDB. My one concern is that I might not be able find a spring heavier enough for me.

Thoughts??

Here is the build now.

That's surprising. What sag are you using? Have you tried running 30-35% sag and 2 or 3 tokens? It feels like a different shock when you set it up like that

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 at 22:17 Quote
I've been riding it with 25% sag and no tokens. Finally installed the Gnar(edama) Dog 2.5T and will ride it this weekend.

I'm doing the Trans NZ Enduro in 2019 and want to make sure its ready for the race and riding a few days in Queenstown.

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 at 22:37 Quote
nagaredama wrote:

Thoughts??

Here is the build now.

What is it you don’t like/ what is it you want to improve?

Posted: Nov 6, 2018 at 10:20 Quote
iqbal-achieve wrote:
nagaredama wrote:

Thoughts??

Here is the build now.

I'm trying to find a better balance between small bump compliance and bottom out. It feels as thought the bike doesn't use its travel efficiently.

Posted: Nov 6, 2018 at 11:36 Quote
nagaredama wrote:
iqbal-achieve wrote:
nagaredama wrote:

Thoughts??

Here is the build now.

I'm trying to find a better balance between small bump compliance and bottom out. It feels as thought the bike doesn't use its travel efficiently.
definitely try some tokens, that's exactly what they do. And more sag.... Lower bb for the corners!

Posted: Nov 6, 2018 at 12:20 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
nagaredama wrote:
iqbal-achieve wrote:

definitely try some tokens, that's exactly what they do. And more sag.... Lower bb for the corners!

We'll see how it feels this weekend. The 2.5 Gnar Dog is in now. Lets see how it goes and I'll report back.

Posted: Nov 7, 2018 at 0:42 Quote
nagaredama wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
nagaredama wrote:

We'll see how it feels this weekend. The 2.5 Gnar Dog is in now. Lets see how it goes and I'll report back.

I agree, it does sound like you will benefit from the reduced volume. In very simple terms you’re taking support away from the top (and mid) stroke and adding it to the end stroke. So as said above you should see improved small bump compliance alongside more bottom out resistance.
Only downside for me personally is you’ll also see a reduction in mid stroke support and the bike will tend to ride lower but I think this one is very much preference some like it to sit high and others are happier pushing off the support deeper in the stroke.

Look forward to hearing how you get on tup

Posted: Nov 7, 2018 at 1:42 Quote
nagaredama wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
nagaredama wrote:

Here is our EWS athlete Kelan Grants set up that SRAM sorted for him on the stock ML1 tune on the Super Deluxe shock: Kelans 86kg: 186 psi, 1 token, -7 clicks of rebound, open compression

I have put the tune up for the 275c's from Sam and Pager on our website too to help you.

Hope that Helps,
rob

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021408
Mobile Version of Website