Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 13:07 Quote
what's everyone using for bar tape these days...?

mind you I just removed the Benotto tape from my '84 Allez two years ago. (got some fiz'ik stuff gifted to me . it's not bad but kinda meh....)

put fouriers on my Cannondale ONLY because it was the color combo I wanted....but I don't care for the feel at all....and over time, I'm not all that in love with the color combo anymore...lol

tossing around between Cinelli (could get some cool graphics), ODI 2.5mm (like the price and love my ruffians on the mtb), or Lizard Skins 2.5mm (pricing is double the ODI) for my current build. drop-bar tow path bike....mixed gravel and paved.

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 13:31 Quote
I usually use Lizard Skins 2.5 DSP but I recently changed to the SRAM Red tape. Haven't officially ridden it but it feels nice.

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 13:41 Quote
seraph wrote:
I usually use Lizard Skins 2.5 DSP but I recently changed to the SRAM Red tape. Haven't officially ridden it but it feels nice.

cool...thanks for the input. tup

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
adm750 wrote:
what's everyone using for bar tape these days...?

mind you I just removed the Benotto tape from my '84 Allez two years ago. (got some fiz'ik stuff gifted to me . it's not bad but kinda meh....)

put fouriers on my Cannondale ONLY because it was the color combo I wanted....but I don't care for the feel at all....and over time, I'm not all that in love with the color combo anymore...lol

tossing around between Cinelli (could get some cool graphics), ODI 2.5mm (like the price and love my ruffians on the mtb), or Lizard Skins 2.5mm (pricing is double the ODI) for my current build. drop-bar tow path bike....mixed gravel and paved.
Fizik... I like the thicker 3mm 'bondcush' in the winter and the thinner 2mm 'classic' microtex in the summer. Bontrager Gripptack tape is goodshit but it's been impossible to find since covid started for some reason.

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 14:03 Quote
Fizik microtex has my preference.

I don’t use gloves whilst riding and all the other stuff ( Supacaz / Lizard Skins / Tune ) gets quite slippery when I start sweating.

I’ve used some Selle Italia nubuck leather ones as well, those were nice too. Both the SI and the Fizik don’t offer much comfort / thickness but I’m okay with that.

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 14:16 Quote
awesome guys...thanks for the ideas...

BBLB - I think I have the 3mm fizik on the Allez...think I'd like the thinner stuff better...of course I was always fine with a pipe wrapped in electrical tape (Benotto on Cinelli bars...lol)

thanks for the slickery warnings memento ! I mostly ride with gloves (cause crashes...etc...) but I tend to sweat like a hooker at the policeman's ball when I ride...

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 14:29 Quote
I was only familiar with the phrase “like a whore in church”. Every day is a schoolday people!

It’s mostly during climbing in summer, you get soaked here.

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 14:32 Quote
photo

My current tape, I like the matte finish. This is the Fizik, plain black with Brooks end plugs.

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 15:45 Quote
memento-mori wrote:
photo

My current tape, I like the matte finish. This is the Fizik, plain black with Brooks end plugs.
I like the reverse wrap you got there, I keep thinking of trying it but always wind up just sticking to traditional bottom up and taped off on the tops.

photo

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 18:51 Quote
I'm a huge fan of Silca tape. I was rolling my eyes hardcore at the marketing but took a chance on a sale. It's actually true, it does feel cushier than you'd expect for a given thickness. I'm going to gradually bring all the bikes over as my Fizik slooooowly wears out.

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 19:13 Quote
crs-one wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Silca tape. I was rolling my eyes hardcore at the marketing but took a chance on a sale. It's actually true, it does feel cushier than you'd expect for a given thickness. I'm going to gradually bring all the bikes over as my Fizik slooooowly wears out.
I thought about checking that tape out but it's all stupid colors or patterns aside from the super thin version... the 1.7mm or whatever it is. The 2.5mm one has some weird flower pattern on the black and all the others are color stripped or something similar. Tempted to try the 1.7mm but that seems like it's gonna feel too thin, regardless of comfort just in terms of gripping the bar. I really don't understand why any brand wouldn't make a basic black and basic white before they move on to other shit.

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 19:34 Quote
Yeah that is fair, the 2.5 is goofy. I hope they update it to a similar design language to the thicker and thinner options.

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 2:41 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
memento-mori wrote:
]

I like the reverse wrap you got there, I keep thinking of trying it but always wind up just sticking to traditional bottom up and taped off on the tops.

Thanks.

I prefer the clean look the reverse wrap gives. Just make sure to wrap it tight. I've never had it come off.

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 4:32 Quote
memento-mori wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
memento-mori wrote:
]

Thanks.

I prefer the clean look the reverse wrap gives. Just make sure to wrap it tight. I've never had it come off.

both look good guys !! I've actually NEVER taped bars from the ends up till I refreshed my road bikes recently. Every bike I've had I've done like memento's bars. I must have read the directions in the Fizik box and it all went downhill from there...lol.

I think I'll do this one from the top down this time.

thanks for the tip on the Silca brand crs...you guys have definitely made me re-think which way I was heading...Salute

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 7:17 Quote
My new bars are waiting to be taped, I might give top down a go as it looks much cleaner

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014255
Mobile Version of Website