Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
Posted: Jan 7, 2024 at 1:56 Quote
seraph wrote:
They're not bad wheels objectively, but Vision is owned by FSA so I boycott them by default.

I honestly didn't know that.

May I ask what is wrong with FSA?

Posted: Jan 7, 2024 at 13:02 Quote
DavidMatthew wrote:
seraph wrote:
They're not bad wheels objectively, but Vision is owned by FSA so I boycott them by default.

I honestly didn't know that.

May I ask what is wrong with FSA?

FSA is one of the most-warrantied companies out there in the bike industry. We dub it "Fail Straight Away" or "Fall Straight Apart".

Posted: Apr 11, 2024 at 7:49 Quote
Recent photos.

Waiting on making extra finance, and if I save good money I'll upgrade to a Centaur groupset and Mavic Cosmic carbon wheels.

But she rides like a dream for now.

Updated pictures. Plan on upgrading to Centaur groupset and Mavic Cosmic carbon wheels if I can afford it later this year.

Updated pictures. Plan on upgrading to Centaur groupset and Mavic Cosmic carbon wheels if I can afford it later this year.

Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 2:58 Quote
I'd stick with 105 or Ultra if you're working on a budget. Centaur and Campy has that nostalgic feel but it works well until it doesn't. Most parts in the shifter are replaceable but they don't mention that the spools are made of very soft plastic which will wear out after 3-4 years

Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 4:23 Quote
Thanks. I was advised the same on Facebook.

105 is there as another option. I like the 9 speed Sora, but have always wanted a Campy groupset.

Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 4:58 Quote
radatabs wrote:
I'd stick with 105 or Ultra if you're working on a budget. Centaur and Campy has that nostalgic feel but it works well until it doesn't. Most parts in the shifter are replaceable but they don't mention that the spools are made of very soft plastic which will wear out after 3-4 years

You don't replace separate parts in the ergopower / shifter anymore. You buy a complete replacement body and simply transfer the brake lever and hood to the new one. This way when you do actually need to replace a body, you basically get everything fresh.

Most important when using Campagnolo is using the original inner cables. Anything other than that will lead to premature failure as "compatible" products are always a compromise.

Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 5:00 Quote
road-psyclist wrote:

But she rides like a dream for now.

I would focus on becoming a better trained rider yourself instead of investing in different material.

Opt for some decent bibshorts and see if you can manage some longer rides.

Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 5:23 Quote
memento-mori wrote:

I would focus on becoming a better trained rider yourself instead of investing in different material.

Thanks Mori.

Cycling apparel is on the list of things to get too. I plan on long countryside rides this summer, so clothing is on the 'to get' list.

I already have padded shorts.

Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 9:02 Quote
memento-mori wrote:

You don't replace separate parts in the ergopower / shifter anymore. You buy a complete replacement body and simply transfer the brake lever and hood to the new one. This way when you do actually need to replace a body, you basically get everything fresh.

Most important when using Campagnolo is using the original inner cables. Anything other than that will lead to premature failure as "compatible" products are always a compromise.

Good to know about part availability and repairs.

And if/when I get Campag', I'll notify my LBS, but I believe they're aware of using the correct cables.

I had Tourney shifters on my last bike, with the thumb to shift down, and from looking at videos of SRAM and Shimano, Campy appeals to me the most.

Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 13:22 Quote
memento-mori wrote:

+1

Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 22:40 Quote
I never skimp on nice bibs. Capo, Hincapie, Castelli, and Assos are my top favorite brands. The more you spend, the nicer the chamois.

Posted: Apr 13, 2024 at 7:41 Quote
Rapha Pro Team are my go to for anything remotely close to a long ride or hard effort. Spendy but good for me.

I have some Castelli too, only buy the premium one as there is a big difference between that chamois and the more affordable line.

Not a fan of Sportful.

Assos is good too, it’s been ages since I bought something though.

Posted: Apr 13, 2024 at 11:04 Quote
Assos quality has taken a nosedive over the last five years or so... used to love their bibs, they're still really comfortable with a great chamois but the seams and overall material quality just aren't what they used to be.

Been really happy with Velocio the last year or so, their Luxe bibs and Concept jerseys are really great quality and super comfortable. Their merino base layers are fantastic and the Concept Radiator jerseys are ideal for California summers.

Posted: Apr 16, 2024 at 9:59 Quote
bigquotesOur current race proven frameset manufactured from Toray T700/800 UD carbon fibre, 1150g in size Medium

-https://www.starleybikes.com/products/jks-r1-ultegra

Good?

The temporary replacement Mekk frame and fork felt like an anchor compared to the Starley frame and fork.

Found this on Google. Same model as mine.

Same model as my bike but different paintwork and specification.

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2024 at 10:57 Quote
The Elves Falath EVO served me well. I really enjoyed it for the short time I've had it. But I have realized I don't need a road bike and a gravel bike. The Elves just doesnt have the tire clearance I want and its a very rigid bike. I have the state allroad still. My issue with it is its too big. It was my first drop bar bike and being little under 5' 10" I purchased a medium as that was recommended. The Elves is a 52 and much shorter and lower then the State but I was much more comfortable on it. I could be on it for hours without any pain but it seems like no matter what im uncomfortable on the State.

Decided to get a custom steel frame made from marino. Excited for that but in the mean time I got most of my parts swapped back to the State. Trying out some 2.1 thunderburts and really happy with it. They most likely are going to stay on. Going to be picking up a new wheelset for it from I9, from their new Solix line up.

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015259
Mobile Version of Website