NS Holy 1 vs NS metropolis 1 2012

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
NS Holy 1 vs NS metropolis 1 2012
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 5:54 Quote
I'm getting a bike on 0% finance from http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk (long story but pretty much has to be from this site) and i've narrowed it down to these two.
I want 50/50 dirt and park but the big thing is i'm coming off bmx and i've never ridden a decent 24/26 hardtail only my mates full sus slopestyle bike (that was what converted me from bmx).

So anyhows

option 1

http://www.nsbikes.com/2012/bikes/metropolis-1.html

Frame size: 308mm / 12.1”
Head angle: 70 deg
Seat tube angle: 71 deg
Chainstay: 381 mm / 15” slammed
Top tube length (c-c): 574 mm / 22.6”
BB height: 327 mm / 12.9”

option 2

http://www.nsbikes.com/2012/bikes/holy-1.html

Frame size: 24”: 301 mm / 11.9” 26”: 308mm / 12.1”
Head angle: 71.5 deg
Seat tube angle: 72.5 deg
Chainstay: 24”: 374 mm / 14.7” slammed 26”: 381 mm / 15” slammed
Top tube length (c-c): 24”: 554 mm / 21.8” 26”: 574 mm / 22.6”
BB height: 24”: 308 mm / 12.1” 26”: 312 mm / 12.3”
+
Manitou Circus Expert Forks 2012
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=57818

Then theres the option to go for 24 over 26 with the holy 1 option but i'm very much undecided on that matter to add to the confusion so any adice most welcome Smile

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 8:17 Quote
I'm not really that clued up about hardtail frames but for me personally I would take the metropolis as the angles are lightly slacker and closer to what I'm used to running.

But as you come from BMX I doubt that would be a problem for you anyway.

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 8:51 Quote
Get the holy 1! Very middle of the road geo with the option to go sus if you want. I bet you could slam some 26 wheels in there if you really wanted to too

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 8:53 Quote
Haha I knew you would be swaying for the holy 1 Steve Big Grin I so conflicted I really need to test out some rides but just don't know anybody local who rides them.

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 8:59 Quote
The holy 1 will feel like a slightly bigger bmx, it's cheaper, and it leaves you with more options imo!

FL
Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 10:55 Quote
The Metropolis is a much more sophisticated bike. Suspension fork, more dirt friendly tires, 20mm front end, hydaulic brake, aeriel pedals and proof bars. The Holy is more of a street/park orientated hooligan... You've got a rigid fork, k-rads, mechanical disc brake, plastic pedals and the lower end NS mint bars.

I prefer the geo of the holy because sat on 26"s and a sus fork it's got very near the angles of the old Majesty. I feel the Holy is the better of the two bikes to upgrade as the frame has more potential. The Metropolis 1 comes pretty well specced out from the start though and is a more well rounded bike with higher spec, there's nothing I'd feel the need to upgrade.

So as an initial purchase the Metropolis is the better bike, but the holy has a lot of potential and you could go either way with it. You could grind the brake mounts of of the fork, get some disricts and a BMX stem on there and it would be a park slaying machine, or you could buy a suspension fork, a 20mm front wheel and some pedal pedals to set it up as a dirt rig, so there is more versatality to the Holy if you decide you want to ride one more than the other... As grumpy steve said it leaves you with more options!

Go for the 26" holy though, it doesn't ride so well on 24s!

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 11:20 Quote
The 24 holy has totally diff geo than the 26 though right ?
I did put a link to some Circus Expert Forks for the holy 1 option (£279 crc) as I really do want sus for the front right off the bat. I suppose if they blow i've always got the rigids as back up with the holy 1.
I've herd some frames run 24's and 26's ok but I can't see it myself ?

FL
Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 11:26 Quote
If you're going to run suspension from the off buy the metropolis. You get upgraded bars, hubs, pedals, brake and tires for not much extra cost when compared to a holy + a circus and a new front wheel. The DJ1 is a very good fork as well so you're not really missing out from that point of view either.

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 11:32 Quote
Most 24 rigid forks will fit a 26 wheel, and a lot of the frames do too. Sus seems the way to go for dirt but as someone that used to ride a lot of trails on bmx, I've never thought rigids on bigger wheels would be a problem...
I'm also a true believer that sus on street or park is just cheating! I can't remember what the price difference is between the 2 bikes but personally I'd seriously consider the 24 holy as a good way to transition from bmx. Saying that I've never in my life owned a bike with 26" wheels! I just always imagine them to be more awkward to do anything on... And imo they look a lot more awkward...

It all depends on what you want though, I could persuade you to get the holy, then you might hate it for what you want to ride... Or you could get the metropolis and regret getting a 26 with sus Razz

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 11:57 Quote
And here in lies the dilemma haha, honestly im going mental here especially not being able to test out similar bikes.
As you say i'm pretty much stuck with what I get and i'll most probably adapt pretty well either way.
I love the idea of 24's with sus, kinda like a big bmx with sus and that appeals to me massively. On the other hand i've ridden my friends 26 slopestlye and its just glides over jumps no matter what you chuck at it (and at 34 i'm all about the easy life). I think I would love a 26 hardtail on dirt but perhaps find it a little awkward for park inittially but hen adapt. I see videos of people killing it on 26's in park but they all seem like tall guys and i'm only 5"6 so this worries me a little. I also worry about getting a 24 and then it feeling sketchy on big jumps just like my bmx and i'm wanting to progress on from that. Perhaps the front sus would sort this out and a 24 would be my perfect size. Meh I don't seem to be any further on in my decision lol

FL
Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 12:15 Quote
Andreu Lacondeguy is 5'6" and he seems to do alright on his 26" bike with a Marzocchi suspension fork...

Views: 122,574    Faves: 1,895    Comments: 93

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 12:32 Quote
Yo Tom, thanks for posting that fella, i've been looking for some short arse 26 riding for ages haha.
I'm almost decided on 26, dam it why don't they make 25s lol

FL
Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 13:13 Quote
They probably will soon, the way things are going...

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 13:39 Quote
true dat, but i'd welcome smaller its the bigger shit that scares the hell outa me, 29's look disgusting !

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.072568
Mobile Version of Website