Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 11:45 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
f*ck the blessing edge port.

Interesting. Why do you say that? I'm not in any way a Sram fanboy, but generally find the bleeding edge setup works like it's supposed to. Interested to know why you don't approve.

Buying all new bleed kit fittings for no measurable gain was awesome.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 12:05 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Interesting. Why do you say that? I'm not in any way a Sram fanboy, but generally find the bleeding edge setup works like it's supposed to. Interested to know why you don't approve.
I have a few reasons. The first is that if you apply slightly too much pressure you can very easily pop out the tool and say dot fluid everywhere. Second the resign of the caliper causes a regular Allen key to contact the caliper while installing the mounting hardware, a ballend unit must be used which is a pain trail side.

EDIT: They also leak like a f*cking c*nt and are less weatehrsealed then previous fitting
weird, I've literally never had a one pop out and I push pretty hard. Are you using a genuine SRAM bleed kit?

I think it's a great design and I've never experienced any issues with it.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 12:06 Quote
Nobble wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

I have a few reasons. The first is that if you apply slightly too much pressure you can very easily pop out the tool and say dot fluid everywhere. Second the resign of the caliper causes a regular Allen key to contact the caliper while installing the mounting hardware, a ballend unit must be used which is a pain trail side.

EDIT: They also leak like a f*cking c*nt and are less weatehrsealed then previous fitting
weird, I've literally never had a one pop out and I push pretty hard. Are you using a genuine SRAM bleed kit?

I think it's a great design and I've never experienced any issues with it.
Pro-kit and geniune fittings,. I'm not a shop rat anymore but ive been sprayed enough to swear off those fittings.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 12:07 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

actually, it is a measurable gain. You can close the caliper bleed port before you disconnect the syringe. Before you couldn't do that, and it saves a lot of re-bleeding from my experience.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 12:20 Quote
Nobble wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

actually, it is a measurable gain. You can close the caliper bleed port before you disconnect the syringe. Before you couldn't do that, and it saves a lot of re-bleeding from my experience.

Interesting. Never really considered that.

I am pretty impartial to the change, to be honest. Maybe this tid bit changes my mind.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 14:09 Quote
I like the new bleed port for the same reason.
I was just making note that the RE's don't have it. Not a deal breaker though.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 14:32 Quote
whats up guys, quick question for anyone who knows- getting some fresh cranks for my bike which is boost 148mm, Im gonna get the Sram GX cranks, but do I need to get the boost specific ones or will the normal GX cranks work assuming I use the correct offset chainring? The stock cranks are the Sram GX 1000's, which to my knowledge are not boost specific as they came with a 3mm offset ring on them. Thanks!

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 17:11 Quote
sram code rsc or shimano xtr?

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 17:26 Quote
NikoLucic wrote:

I don't really have experience on either, but from what I know, xtr if you want lightweight, code if you don't care.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 17:35 Quote
benbenbeast wrote:
NikoLucic wrote:

I don't really have experience on either, but from what I know, xtr if you want lightweight, code if you don't care.

Uhhh if its the xtr 4-piston, theyre almost equal in weight to a set of Saints, as far as i remember.
Codes if you want modulation, XTR if you want pseudo modulation but not really, and a bit less power than saints

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 18:01 Quote
Question regarding rim swaps, I've got a set of 27.5 wheels that I want to rim swap to 26er for my dj, is this possible or am I gonna need shorter spokes?

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 18:09 Quote
How can I lower rockshoxk lyrik travel from 170mm to 150mm?

O+
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 18:10 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Question regarding rim swaps, I've got a set of 27.5 wheels that I want to rim swap to 26er for my dj, is this possible or am I gonna need shorter spokes?

shorter spokes/best not to reuse spokes in general

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 18:17 Quote
NikoLucic wrote:

I believe you replace the air spring with a smaller one

O+
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 18:18 Quote
NikoLucic wrote:
You will need a 150mm air spring. Check out Sram.com.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022995
Mobile Version of Website