Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 15:29 Quote
Any alternative for the fox bleeding syringe?

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 15:41 Quote
Hello everyone!
Hope you’re staying safe and healthy right now! I am currently in the process of buying a 2015 Boxxer. The seller has told me that it has a charger damper, and is a coil fork. However he doesn’t know the exact model as he got it used. I have two questions regarding the fork...

1. He has told me that the original owner of the fork said it rode really well, but it got recalled, so he swapped it out. To the best of my knowledge (and research) no Boxxer has ever been recalled, but am I missing something? Should I be worried?
2. The fork is coil, making it very linear. I think that having a progressive fork would suit my needs better (but linear is nice too, and I wouldn’t mind sticking with it). It is a killer deal, and extra cash is burning a hole in my pocket. Does anyone know of any air upgrades that aren’t too expensive that I could use? In addition, having one that is compatible with an MRP Ramp Control cartridge would be cool, but not nessisary, especially if it fluctuates pricing.

Anyways, I am sorry if the answer is right in front of me, I guess repeated concussions from slamming into trees might have something to do with it! lol . Anyways, any help is appreciated!

Cheers,
Jacoby

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 15:44 Quote
JacobyDH wrote:
Hello everyone!
Hope you’re staying safe and healthy right now! I am currently in the process of buying a 2015 Boxxer. The seller has told me that it has a charger damper, and is a coil fork. However he doesn’t know the exact model as he got it used. I have two questions regarding the fork...

1. He has told me that the original owner of the fork said it rode really well, but it got recalled, so he swapped it out. To the best of my knowledge (and research) no Boxxer has ever been recalled, but am I missing something? Should I be worried?
2. The fork is coil, making it very linear. I think that having a progressive fork would suit my needs better (but linear is nice too, and I wouldn’t mind sticking with it). It is a killer deal, and extra cash is burning a hole in my pocket. Does anyone know of any air upgrades that aren’t too expensive that I could use? In addition, having one that is compatible with an MRP Ramp Control cartridge would be cool, but not nessisary, especially if it fluctuates pricing.

Anyways, I am sorry if the answer is right in front of me, I guess repeated concussions from slamming into trees might have something to do with it! lol . Anyways, any help is appreciated!

Cheers,
Jacoby

Race only springs make progressive coil spring for the boxxer

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 15:45 Quote
JacobyDH wrote:
Hello everyone!

Cheers,
Jacoby
As far as I know, the only air spring conversion is the Rockshox one. https://www.amazon.com/RockShox-BoXXer-Bicycle-Suspension-Upgrade/dp/B00L2PS85Q

People have varying degrees of success running it in coil sprung fork that's been ridden for a while. The stanchion may be scratched internally and not make a good seal.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 15:55 Quote
photo
Do you guys think this is safe to ride? I didn't do this but it's forsale on facebook market place. They ground down the arch on a 27.5 fork to fit 29

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 16:00 Quote
Maybe for your wife, if you are looking for a new one!

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 16:06 Quote
I'd only use that on a commuter or for light off-road use personally. It's definitely less safe.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 16:18 Quote
even if it does crack in two the axle will stop the lowers rotating so unlikely to be a catastrophic failure.

had a mate riding round on a broken one for a while til he could sort out a replacement,
made interesting noises but nothing more.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 16:26 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
photo
Do you guys think this is safe to ride? I didn't do this but it's forsale on facebook market place. They ground down the arch on a 27.5 fork to fit 29

The lowers are made of magnesium and any modification to them affects structural integrity.

Using that fork for anything bike related now, even commuting, is a really bad idea.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 16:32 Quote
Hello,

Not exactly a mechanical question so not sure if this is the right thread but wondering if anyone has any ideas.
Looking for a replacement for a left hand square taper crank for a trials bike, however it needs to be offset slightly to avoid hitting the chainstay so ordinary cranks won't fit. I can't find the original crankset (onza t bird) and haven't been able to find any others with a suitable offset so wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 16:38 Quote
might be worth calling the boffins here https://www.sjscycles.co.uk

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 16:58 Quote
That's what I figured some 13 year old is trying to sell them on Facebook

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 16:59 Quote
Scatchy01 wrote:
Hello,

Not exactly a mechanical question so not sure if this is the right thread but wondering if anyone has any ideas.
Looking for a replacement for a left hand square taper crank for a trials bike, however it needs to be offset slightly to avoid hitting the chainstay so ordinary cranks won't fit. I can't find the original crankset (onza t bird) and haven't been able to find any others with a suitable offset so wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Personally I would be looking into a 3piece 48 spline bmx crank with spline drive. This will allow you to space the arms more in a more appropriate manor without messing up the chain line.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 20:25 Quote
christopheryang wrote:
The lowers are made of magnesium and any modification to them affects structural integrity.

Using that fork for anything bike related now, even commuting, is a really bad idea.

It doesn't matter what they're made of; any removal of material is likely to reduce strength - but that's not to say it will fail. Maybe it was stronger than necessary in the first place. Chris Porter claims he cut the arches out of a fork or two when testing different offsets and was still able to ride the fork. This doesn't prove the fork in the photo is sound, of course, it just puts into question whether every atom is strictly necessary.

Bottom line: I wouldn't advise buying it, specially to a stout rider ... but it may actually be fine.

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 20:42 Quote
Hey guys! I have some play in my GX eagle cassette and it is making some wicked creaking when pedalling.

I have tightened it to 40nm and a little bit past that. I took it apart and regreased it, same problem.

The freehub body doesn't have any play, seems to be from the cassette to the freehub. Any ideas?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025646
Mobile Version of Website