Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 13:38 Quote
adm750 wrote:
seraph wrote:
I wouldn't say always... pretty consistently though. But not having indexing is pretty annoying.

they've NEVER failed me seraph so don't jynx it... lol

Those cables were a couple of the first things I changed when I got it. I did the whole "thicker cable" thing when I first bought that bike (thick brake cables and the teflon-lined cable jackets, and those thick @$$ shift cables...) back in 1984. Those same cables are on it today (just new cable jacket for the brakes...).

I brought it out on a group ride a two summers ago and some of the guys were wondering how you use those without crashing....haha..... They were also commenting on how quiet and accurate the shifting was after we were done ! Big Grin

To me, it's much more annoying to have to press a brake lever blade sideways to shift than it is to snick a new gear by moving that downtube lever. I have Shimano on my Cannondale and I want to change that to a separated system like Campy, Sram (?) or Modolo. This "brifter" shit is like getting a blowjob with multiple condoms on....

That's really weird to hear, because to me it's easier to just push a button that's already on the brake lever than to take my hands off the handlebars entirely just to shift.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 13:53 Quote
seraph wrote:
adm750 wrote:
To me, it's much more annoying to have to press a brake lever blade sideways to shift than it is to snick a new gear by moving that downtube lever.
That's really weird to hear, because to me it's easier to just push a button that's already on the brake lever than to take my hands off the handlebars entirely just to shift.

I'm with seraph. I even preferred Shimano's Dual Control mountain bike brifters.

The feel of a fixed lever is nice, but - for me - it's not a big deal. Better ergonomics will always win. That's not to say Campagnolo ergonomics are poor, just that I don't mind the lateral movement of the lever.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 14:08 Quote
Hi All - Need help diagnosing some shifting issues. Overall bike is just shifting like shit and I can’t figure out why. Delayed or missed downshifts, when you index it to work it then it may skip two gears in other areas or not shift properly the other direction. I’d consider myself fairly competent when it comes to adjusting derailleurs but can’t figure out what’s wrong here. Only remaining thing that I’m wondering about is there does seem to be a decent amount of play in the mount point bushing on the derailleur where it mounts to the hanger. Not sure if that could be causing these issues? Any tricks to maybe isolate or rule that out?

What I’ve tried with no luck:
- Checked limit screws, b screw, indexing
- Replaced chain
- Replaced rear cassette (Re-checked indexing and whatnot)
- Replaced cable
- Checked hanger alignment (with alignment tool)
- Visually inspected front chainring when bike was in stand to look for any stiction of chain while pedaling (didn’t see anything abnormal)

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 14:28 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
Hi All - Need help diagnosing some shifting issues. Overall bike is just shifting like shit and I can’t figure out why. Delayed or missed downshifts, when you index it to work it then it may skip two gears in other areas or not shift properly the other direction. I’d consider myself fairly competent when it comes to adjusting derailleurs but can’t figure out what’s wrong here. Only remaining thing that I’m wondering about is there does seem to be a decent amount of play in the mount point bushing on the derailleur where it mounts to the hanger. Not sure if that could be causing these issues? Any tricks to maybe isolate or rule that out?

- Replaced chain
- Replaced cable
- Visually inspected front chainring when bike was in stand to look for any stiction of chain while pedaling (didn’t see anything abnormal)

What shifter, derailleur, cassette, and chain? We need specifics in order to rule stuff out, or identify specific issues with specific components.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 14:35 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:

- Replaced chain
- Replaced cable
very weird but im gonna need to know what kit your working with here, however if your a really heavy hitting rider and doing a lot of skate park riding or drops to flat then you might have a free hub or axle problem, this is so incredibly rare but does happen, try inspecting your hub for any damage and if you can tighten your freehub body down

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 14:52 Quote
Bent Parallelogram on the derailleur?

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 15:17 Quote
Gurkgav wrote:
BryanBobo wrote:

- Replaced chain
- Replaced cable
very weird but im gonna need to know what kit your working with here, however if your a really heavy hitting rider and doing a lot of skate park riding or drops to flat then you might have a free hub or axle problem, this is so incredibly rare but does happen, try inspecting your hub for any damage and if you can tighten your freehub body down

That's a good point. If your cassette isn't staying in the same spot, the derailleur won't be able to shift accurately.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 16:34 Quote
seraph wrote:
Gurkgav wrote:
BryanBobo wrote:

- Replaced chain
- Replaced cable

That's a good point. If your cassette isn't staying in the same spot, the derailleur won't be able to shift accurately.

Odd enough, this is a gravel bike. So it’s obviously fully ridged and riding relatively mellow terrain. Shifter is a SRAM APEX 1x11 group set.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 16:43 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
seraph wrote:
Gurkgav wrote:

Odd enough, this is a gravel bike. So it’s obviously fully ridged and riding relatively mellow terrain. Shifter is a SRAM APEX 1x11 group set.

Did you replace the cable housing when you replaced the cable? sometimes a new cable in old housing can give some shitty downshifts

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 16:49 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
seraph wrote:
Gurkgav wrote:

The cassette could still be loose, and/or the freehub could be loose.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 17:34 Quote
I have an F150 and just bought a set of new tires. 1 month old and I get a nice big puncture from a rock. It's a cut about 5/8 in length. The tire shop patched it from the inside and said it should be ok to drive on but according to google I should replace it. What do you guys think? Anyone else have a similar experience?

photo

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 18:05 Quote
Any reputable tire shop would not patch if they felt it unsafe. Just watch the area for bulging.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 18:18 Quote
Duderz7 wrote:
Any reputable tire shop would not patch if they felt it unsafe. Just watch the area for bulging.

I've read that a puncture that's only been patched from the inside will expose the steel belts to moisture. Not sure how dangerous this would be long term (I usually get 5 years out of tires)

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 18:32 Quote
Shove some epoxy in it form the outside. GOOD as NEW!

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 21:01 Quote
gcmartini wrote:
Shove some epoxy in it form the outside. GOOD as NEW!

Is that even possible?!

Also I realized I posted this in the wrong thread. I was looking for the automotive thread haha.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.042496
Mobile Version of Website