Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 26, 2024 at 2:54 Quote
riish wrote:
Anyone here sent their fork into SRAM Germany for a CSU creak before?

Having some troubles with both my CSU and with bushing scoring on a Lyrik, interested in hearing if anyone’s had good/bad experiences with them

Nothing bad to report, as long as you got a receipt for the fork and it's within the 2 year warranty.
Did you buy it from a german shop?

Why not send it to Cycle Service Nordic ApS? Seems to be the distributor for Sram in Sweden?

Posted: Mar 26, 2024 at 3:45 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
riish wrote:

Having some troubles with both my CSU and with bushing scoring on a Lyrik, interested in hearing if anyone’s had good/bad experiences with them

Nothing bad to report, as long as you got a receipt for the fork and it's within the 2 year warranty.

Why not send it to Cycle Service Nordic ApS? Seems to be the distributor for Sram in Sweden?

You’re a lifesaver. Talked to them now, my LBS have an account with them so I can send it in through them instead of shipping it myself.

Thanks!

Posted: Mar 26, 2024 at 5:20 Quote
riish wrote:
pyromaniac wrote:
riish wrote:

You’re a lifesaver. Talked to them now, my LBS have an account with them so I can send it in through them instead of shipping it myself.

Thanks!

Salute

Posted: Mar 26, 2024 at 13:33 Quote
Something interesting that came out of my chat with the Swedish SRAM guys - the torque on the damper and airspring top caps is really high, ~30Nm, because they pull the stanchions up into the crown.

Will give it a ride and see if that fixes my CSU problems I guess.

Posted: Mar 26, 2024 at 13:35 Quote
riish wrote:
Something interesting that came out of my chat with the Swedish SRAM guys - the torque on the damper and airspring top caps is really high, ~30Nm, because they pull the stanchions up into the crown.

Will give it a ride and see if that fixes my CSU problems I guess.

Interesting indeed. But I doubt that this fixes CSU creaks.

Posted: Mar 26, 2024 at 20:33 Quote
Wasn't it the steerer that creaks?

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 5:13 Quote
Hey folks looking for touch-up paint advice. I recently bought a trek slash 8 (2023) in Matte hex blue as part of a bachelor trip with good friends. The way the timeline worked I wasn't able ride-wrap the frame at time of purchase and in ~2weeks of riding I successfully rubbed off all the top-coat on the chainstays where my calves/padstraps rub on the stays sometimes. Didn't crash but paint is kinda borked just from regular riding and has the ugly white base coat showing through (super disappointed how paper thin this paint is btw).

I'd like to minimize the eye sore before wrapping for next season. Trek sells touchup paint but nothing close to this color. Open to suggestions at this point to help make this less butt ugly on my brand new bike Cry

TLDR: paint's heavily scuffed, how do I cover it up before wrapping.

photo

Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 6:39 Quote
What about one of the patterned DYEDbro or Groundkeeper frame protectors?

You might be able to find a pattern that compliments the frame while hiding the wear.

Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 7:25 Quote
naptime wrote:
Wasn't it the steerer that creaks?

Much more likely to be the steerer interface, but I figure I’ll give their advice a chance first.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 8:03 Quote
VF400rider wrote:
Hey folks looking for touch-up paint advice. I recently bought a trek slash 8 (2023) in Matte hex blue as part of a bachelor trip with good friends. The way the timeline worked I wasn't able ride-wrap the frame at time of purchase and in ~2weeks of riding I successfully rubbed off all the top-coat on the chainstays where my calves/padstraps rub on the stays sometimes. Didn't crash but paint is kinda borked just from regular riding and has the ugly white base coat showing through (super disappointed how paper thin this paint is btw).

I'd like to minimize the eye sore before wrapping for next season. Trek sells touchup paint but nothing close to this color. Open to suggestions at this point to help make this less butt ugly on my brand new bike Cry

Painting it is bound to look bad. Have you looked into automotive buffing and/or rubbing compound?

Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 8:51 Quote
Any further theories why Bernard Kerr’s head tube snapped?

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 9:23 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
VF400rider wrote:

Painting it is bound to look bad. Have you looked into automotive buffing and/or rubbing compound?

Agree. Those aren't deep scratches. Use a polishing compound and then hit it with clearcoat. Or, a patterned wrap

Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 9:53 Quote
ShawMac wrote:
bishopsmike wrote:
VF400rider wrote:

Agree. Those aren't deep scratches. Use a polishing compound and then hit it with clearcoat. Or, a patterned wrap
gotta be careful though, polishing is only gonna take more paint off and make the primer more noticeable.

Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 10:32 Quote
photo

What’s the common offset for DH forks?

I know 44 is the common offset for single crown forks but what is it for dual crown forks?

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 10:43 Quote
I would assume 52mm for 29. DH bikes have slacker HTA which increases trail so the larger offset reduces that. Larger trail is slower steering response so the smaller 44mm will have slower steering response.

Single crown 29 forks used to be commonly 52 as well, then 48/44 started getting added. I switched from 52 to 44 on my trail bike and I didn't notice a lot of difference.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.046316
Mobile Version of Website