Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 8:15 Quote
even if they're full of crap and grit?

Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 8:17 Quote
It should all get carried out with the grease.

I use alcohol to clean my skate bearings but they're not packed with grease.

Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 8:29 Quote
haloo I need HELP , HOW i CAN PUT THIS OUT
photo
iT IS DEVINCI WILSON 2011

Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 9:12 Quote
tomcrowther wrote:
so i'm regreasing my old frame's bearings before i sell it, what's the best thing to use to clean the old shit out with before i bung in more grease? i've always used gt85 and a rag, but it takes a long time. i read somewhere petrol works well?

For a lot of the old crap, I typically use something like a throttle body cleaner or brake cleaner.... eats the crap in a hurry and then clean.

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 9:21 Quote
dhjose1 wrote:
haloo I need HELP , HOW i CAN PUT THIS OUT
photo
iT IS DEVINCI WILSON 2011

You need this to take apart the Bottom Bracket shell. http://fanatikbike.com/merchant/1547/images/large/Wilson-BB-Tool2.jpg

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 9:26 Quote
stymiecat wrote:
tomcrowther wrote:
so i'm regreasing my old frame's bearings before i sell it, what's the best thing to use to clean the old shit out with before i bung in more grease? i've always used gt85 and a rag, but it takes a long time. i read somewhere petrol works well?

For a lot of the old crap, I typically use something like a throttle body cleaner or brake cleaner.... eats the crap in a hurry and then clean.

+1 for brake cleaner, I used it when redoing all the bearing on my bike, it's works perfectly

Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 9:26 Quote
thank you for answer
I need this tool, and then I have to unscrew?
Where I can buy this tool?

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 9:37 Quote
dhjose1 wrote:
thank you for answer
I need this tool, and then I have to unscrew?
Where I can buy this tool?

I'd go to your local Devinci dealer/distributor, see if they don't have one. If not try emailing Devinci directly, see if they couldn't sell you one.

Once you have the tool, you unscrew the 4 hole "cap" on the drive side and then slide out the sleeve.

Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 9:45 Quote
Haven't got any brake cleaner Razz de we think car alloy cleaner/tar and bug remover work?

Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 9:55 Quote
tomcrowther wrote:
Haven't got any brake cleaner Razz de we think car alloy cleaner/tar and bug remover work?
got any meths or isopropyl alcohol? You could give them a try.

Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 10:10 Quote
a rag with warm water and dish soap if you don't have the proper cleaner dish detergent is an excellent degreaser....do not dunk the bearings in water, dry with towel after

Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 11:06 Quote
I use a citrus degreaser from a brand named "CRC" works great. The grease and any grit pretty much falls off and can be wiped off with a rag. I don't know where to get it, as my dad got it from work but it's awesome stuff if you can find it. It comes in an aerosol can.

Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 11:10 Quote
Goo gone is basically the same thing it just comes in a bottle vs a spray can does chains really well too and won't damage 99.9% of paint out there

Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 11:16 Quote
debonis wrote:
I use a citrus degreaser from a brand named "CRC" works great. The grease and any grit pretty much falls off and can be wiped off with a rag. I don't know where to get it, as my dad got it from work but it's awesome stuff if you can find it. It comes in an aerosol can.

Any autostore should carry CRC stuff, especially their brake cleaner, but, THAT, will melt off paint in 2 seconds flat.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.029516
Mobile Version of Website