Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 10:12 Quote
We can't believe you. Who the f*ck doesn't like pickles??? And I f*cking love my Level's on my DJ. They have a better, firmer bite point than my guides do.

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 10:15 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
who even are some of the lurkers in here, does their opinion even matter? Smile
By posting in Pigthread we all automatically accept that none of our opinions matter and we're all idiots.
Basically the best brake is ramming a stick in the spokes and praying Razz

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 10:16 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
We can't believe you. Who the f*ck doesn't like pickles??? And I f*cking love my Level's on my DJ. They have a better, firmer bite point than my guides do.

You need to find a good bike shop to give the Guides a proper bleed lol

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 10:17 Quote
Don't make me turn you into a smoothie bitch!!

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 11:49 Quote
Wale wrote:
Tektro > anything else
For real though... The new TRP DH brake is freakin' dope.

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 12:07 Quote
I really dug the set I had. I ran the rear with Saint pads just to experiment. Plus I got the hook up on them! Nanner nanner nanner!!

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 13:15 Quote
Your tektros finna break

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 13:20 Quote
Wale wrote:
Tektro > anything else

My HT has Tektro brakes that came off my old bike. Honestly they aren't that shit... Until they get wet at which point they just squeal and do f*ck all (who needs brakes in British slop anyway, they do f*ck all) lol

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 13:21 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
Not really, they lack a truly powerful brake to compete with Saint, Code etc. Their V4 is junk.

they're also just kinda ugly imo

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 13:50 Quote
Shimano is hard to beat for price/performance ratio.
Zee is one of the most powerful brakes on the market. Saint is nothing but a polished Zee at double toe price.
Shimano runs mineral oil, which you can practically drink.
Spares are not available, outside a complete caliper or lever assembly, but at a very reasonable price, so even if spare parts were available, I'd probably not bother for the sake of that little cash.

Sram/Avid are still using dot brake fluid, which serves no purpose, but absorbs water and destroys paint, and is poisonous as f*ck. Are a pain to work on, and their rotors squeal like a pig during castration.

Hope kinda dropped out of the race for anything but trials brakes, and runs dot fluid to boot.
Spares Cost a mint, just like the brakes, but are readily available!

Magura has so many issues, that the fact they run mineral oil, doesn't help them one bit, and they're waaay too expensive for that much trouble.
They make the best rim brakes money can buy, that's it!

Tektro is hit and miss. Mostly miss, and spares are impossible to come by.

Hayes suffers all kinds of strange construction issues. One could get the thought they were trying to compete with Magura, for the "mnost issues in one brake" award.

I've had them all over the years, and today I'd never buy anything but Shimano.

Magura Smile

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 14:03 Quote
hope= overpriced and medicore
shimano= ok and disposable
sram/avid= fed up of living/my trails are too boring without random brake failures

just get some formulas and find out what high performance braking is about...

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 14:17 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:
Zee is one of the most powerful brakes on the market. Saint is nothing but a polished Zee at double toe price.
Spares are not available, outside a complete caliper or lever assembly, but at a very reasonable price, so even if spare parts were available, I'd probably not bother for the sake of that little cash.

Sram/Avid are still using dot brake fluid, which serves no purpose, but absorbs water and destroys paint, and is poisonous as f*ck. Are a pain to work on, and their rotors squeal like a pig during castration.

Hope kinda dropped out of the race for anything but trials brakes, and runs dot fluid to boot.

Magura has so many issues, that the fact they run mineral oil, doesn't help them one bit, and they're waaay too expensive for that much trouble.

Hayes suffers all kinds of strange construction issues. One could get the thought they were trying to compete with Magura, for the "mnost issues in one brake" award.

Magura Smile

i guess they never miss huh

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 14:34 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:

Magura Smile

I have a couple of small quibbles...

1. Is potability a requisite metric of braking performance?
2. DOT serves a few purposes, actually.... one you might have heard of being the automotive industry.
2.a. The term DOT fluid refers to the fact that the fluid is regulated by the US Department of Transportation. Unlike the Mineral oil that you can pick up down at the pharmacy (or the red coloured stuff which costs five times as much), the formula is a known quantity, regulated by a government body, and required to pass certain tests before it is made available for sale.
2.b. Due to DOT's ubiquitous nature, and the imposition of government regulations on its manufacture and distribution, the qualifying metrics of DOT fluid (such as boiling point) are known. Hence why there are different 'levels' of DOT fluid. Whether you buy expensive mineral oil off the shelf at Costco, or super expensive stuff that says Shimano, you won't find the makeup or properties easily available.
3. All brake fluids get contaminated with water over time. In the case of DOT fluid, this water is absorbed by the fluid itself, and gets evenly dispersed throughout the system. In the case of mineral oil, this water settles near the caliper (it's heavier than mineral oil), the hottest part of the whole system. Sure, you Shimano/TRP mineral oil might have a boiling point approaching 300 degrees C, but that water sure as heck doesn't! When that water inevitably boils, you get the same (or worse) brake fade as DOT fluid.
3.a. DOT fluid is rated with a wet (water in the system) and dry (brand new) boiling point. High-end DOT 5.1 fluid (like Maxima or SRAM) have wet boiling points as high or higher than mineral oil.
3.b. We aren't driving rally cars, so who cares about boiling point; it's how easy the water is to boil that matters.
3.c. For shelf-life, mineral oil lasts way longer than DOT fluid, so you've got a point there. An open bottle of DOT should be chucked after a year.
4. Have you ever heard a castrated pig?

TL,DR: Mineral oil isn't that great.

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 14:45 Quote
dkidd wrote:

I have a couple of small quibbles...

1. Is potability a requisite metric of braking performance?
2. DOT serves a few purposes, actually.... one you might have heard of being the automotive industry.
2.a. The term DOT fluid refers to the fact that the fluid is regulated by the US Department of Transportation. Unlike the Mineral oil that you can pick up down at the pharmacy (or the red coloured stuff which costs five times as much), the formula is a known quantity, regulated by a government body, and required to pass certain tests before it is made available for sale.
2.b. Due to DOT's ubiquitous nature, and the imposition of government regulations on its manufacture and distribution, the qualifying metrics of DOT fluid (such as boiling point) are known. Hence why there are different 'levels' of DOT fluid. Whether you buy expensive mineral oil off the shelf at Costco, or super expensive stuff that says Shimano, you won't find the makeup or properties easily available.
3. All brake fluids get contaminated with water over time. In the case of DOT fluid, this water is absorbed by the fluid itself, and gets evenly dispersed throughout the system. In the case of mineral oil, this water settles near the caliper (it's heavier than mineral oil), the hottest part of the whole system. Sure, you Shimano/TRP mineral oil might have a boiling point approaching 300 degrees C, but that water sure as heck doesn't! When that water inevitably boils, you get the same (or worse) brake fade as DOT fluid.
3.a. DOT fluid is rated with a wet (water in the system) and dry (brand new) boiling point. High-end DOT 5.1 fluid (like Maxima or SRAM) have wet boiling points as high or higher than mineral oil.
3.b. We aren't driving rally cars, so who cares about boiling point; it's how easy the water is to boil that matters.
3.c. For shelf-life, mineral oil lasts way longer than DOT fluid, so you've got a point there. An open bottle of DOT should be chucked after a year.
4. Have you ever heard a castrated pig?

TL,DR: Mineral oil isn't that great.

1) Yes and no. DOT 5.1 is something I'd go a long way to not get in touch with.

2) We ride bikes, not 200hp trucks.

2b) The properties of even the measliest hydraulic fluid today, by far exceeds any requirements we see in a bicycle brake.

3) In my experience, that statement is not true. If it was so, we'd see issues with water freezing in the brakes.

4) Yes, frequently.

Magura Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.066918
Mobile Version of Website