Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 11:29 Quote
stedaly11 wrote:
I have a strive Al 2016 with a cane creek shock.
I want to swap it for a RS monarch Plus, does anyone know what size hardware I need for the shock?

What cane creek shock do you have?

Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
cmoney23 wrote:
stedaly11 wrote:
I have a strive Al 2016 with a cane creek shock.
I want to swap it for a RS monarch Plus, does anyone know what size hardware I need for the shock?

What cane creek shock do you have?

I have a inline shock. I want to change to a monarch plus.

It’s the upper mount that is confusing me really. It looks like it is pressed in, does that require a specific canyon part or just normal RS hardware?

Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
nicoSB wrote:
christianlund wrote:
Has anyone ridden their spectral at a bike park, really curious on how it does on jumps, especially larger jumps. I'm looking into getting one and turning into a park/Jib machine.

I dont know about the new one, but I've done crabapple and a dozen of aline with mine..no issue
Awesome, good to know, hoping to get to Whistler and hit those this summer.

Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 17:41 Quote
Kersh wrote:
GazP wrote:
Kersh wrote:
Selling my torque if anyone is looking for one

2018 Canyon Torque CF 9 - Medium

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2508582/

Do you really think it pedals up hill better than a Strive. I’ve not ridden a new torque yet so thought that was an interesting comment.

Yeah definitely, my Strive never had any sort of climb switch on the back, plus once you get the suspension set up right it doesn't bob about or move at all.

Strive doesn't need a climb switch with the Shape Shifter! Did you never use it? Really struggle to believe a 180mm Torque climbs better than the 130mm Strive in XC mode, also with its higher BB and steeper HA.

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 0:41 Quote
yeti-monster wrote:
Zlikovski wrote:
Hi everyone!

Anyone here running Works Componenets angleset? I remember some Strive owners from this thread tried and loved it.

I'm tempted to try one on my 2018 Large Strive CF, but I was wondering how will affect reach? How much will it shorten it? 5mm or more?

I tried some bike geo calculators, but they tell me it will lengthen reach by 3mm, which doesn't make sense to me.

So anyone here got some first hand experience?

Funny thing, I used to run one on my Nerve some years ago, and loved it, but can't remeber shit now how reach felt... f*ck you mr. Alzheimer...

@krag
You can ride both, but if you want to go large check your inseam, because of that stupid long seat tube.
Been running it for a while now and it certainly does affect things significantly.
Firstly the product is top notch, instructions are garbage though. The bearings are also reliable.
Secondly I have some unsolved creaking going on at the minute from the headset area. Not sure if this is from headset, fork steerer CSU or carbon cracking. Not sure if the extra stress has caused issues. I have replaced bearings, green loctited CSU and redone the headset.
For trail performance it's far improved on steep or fast riding. It has affected slow speed riding and climbing negatively as expected. It's a very nervous bike on slow speed greasy rocks and tight corners. But quite remarkable when you can charge fast, massively stable platform.
Didn't even notice the reach change, but did notice the BB raise.

I wouldn't bother...just taken mine off as I couldn't get it to stop creaking.

Standard headset didn't creak so emailed Works. They said they have reduced the insert depth of the lower cup as they had had 'issues' with fitment and creaking.

As in, they don't fit properly and they creak.

Spoken to a few mechanics about it while over in NZ and they've said they've had to epoxy Works lower cups into Canyon frames to stop them creaking.

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 5:18 Quote
terribleone1982 wrote:
yeti-monster wrote:
Zlikovski wrote:
Hi everyone!

Anyone here running Works Componenets angleset? I remember some Strive owners from this thread tried and loved it.

I'm tempted to try one on my 2018 Large Strive CF, but I was wondering how will affect reach? How much will it shorten it? 5mm or more?

I tried some bike geo calculators, but they tell me it will lengthen reach by 3mm, which doesn't make sense to me.

So anyone here got some first hand experience?

Funny thing, I used to run one on my Nerve some years ago, and loved it, but can't remeber shit now how reach felt... f*ck you mr. Alzheimer...

@krag
You can ride both, but if you want to go large check your inseam, because of that stupid long seat tube.
Been running it for a while now and it certainly does affect things significantly.
Firstly the product is top notch, instructions are garbage though. The bearings are also reliable.
Secondly I have some unsolved creaking going on at the minute from the headset area. Not sure if this is from headset, fork steerer CSU or carbon cracking. Not sure if the extra stress has caused issues. I have replaced bearings, green loctited CSU and redone the headset.
For trail performance it's far improved on steep or fast riding. It has affected slow speed riding and climbing negatively as expected. It's a very nervous bike on slow speed greasy rocks and tight corners. But quite remarkable when you can charge fast, massively stable platform.

Standard headset didn't creak so emailed Works. They said they have reduced the insert depth of the lower cup as they had had 'issues' with fitment and creaking.

Spoken to a few mechanics about it while over in NZ and they've said they've had to epoxy Works lower cups into Canyon frames to stop them creaking.

Mine creaked like hell as well...
Some carbon paste instead of normal grease to install the bottom cup helped. Thing has been quiet ever since.

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 6:37 Quote
SvSake wrote:
terribleone1982 wrote:
yeti-monster wrote:

Some carbon paste instead of normal grease to install the bottom cup helped. Thing has been quiet ever since.

Oh crap, that doesn't sound good, and I was just about to pull the trigger and order one...

It seems everyone (or majority at least) here had some issues with their angleset on Strive, but some of you (meshin, SVSake) managed to sort it out... Regarding that, as far as I know (which is not much, to be honest) carbon paste and grease are two different things, I don't think you should put carbon paste instead of grease?

I had zero issues with WC angleset on Nerve, but then again, Nerve was alu, Strive is carbon, could be that...

Meh, I don't like to tinker around my bike TOO much... and solving creaking noises with epoxy sounds like zero fun...

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
Zlikovski wrote:
SvSake wrote:
terribleone1982 wrote:

Oh crap, that doesn't sound good, and I was just about to pull the trigger and order one...

It seems everyone (or majority at least) here had some issues with their angleset on Strive, but some of you (meshin, SVSake) managed to sort it out... Regarding that, as far as I know (which is not much, to be honest) carbon paste and grease are two different things, I don't think you should put carbon paste instead of grease?

I had zero issues with WC angleset on Nerve, but then again, Nerve was alu, Strive is carbon, could be that...

Meh, I don't like to tinker around my bike TOO much... and solving creaking noises with epoxy sounds like zero fun...

Had ZERO issues with my Works Components headset. Bought it last year (mid-year) and installed on (Jan) 2017 Strive carbon frame. Running mint Smile

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 11:53 Quote
The frame inserts for all hardware points are alloy on the carbon strive so aluminium/ aluminium interface. I haven't tried the carbon paste....yet
But I have fully stripped down and regreased with regular finish line kak.

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 13:28 Quote
handynzl wrote:
Zlikovski wrote:
SvSake wrote:

Had ZERO issues with my Works Components headset. Bought it last year (mid-year) and installed on (Jan) 2017 Strive carbon frame. Running mint Smile

I've got two strives with works components headsets plus one on my old norco, have had zero problems in the past 3 years.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 at 0:23 Quote
BT180 wrote:
Kersh wrote:
GazP wrote:

Do you really think it pedals up hill better than a Strive. I’ve not ridden a new torque yet so thought that was an interesting comment.

Yeah definitely, my Strive never had any sort of climb switch on the back, plus once you get the suspension set up right it doesn't bob about or move at all.

Strive doesn't need a climb switch with the Shape Shifter! Did you never use it? Really struggle to believe a 180mm Torque climbs better than the 130mm Strive in XC mode, also with its higher BB and steeper HA.

Yep used to use shapeshifter. It doesn't necessarily always come down to the figures on paper, i just preferred it, don't know why.

I've seen others say the same, i'm not alone.

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 at 14:22 Quote
Kersh wrote:
BT180 wrote:
Kersh wrote:

Yep used to use shapeshifter. It doesn't necessarily always come down to the figures on paper, i just preferred it, don't know why.

Personally, I don't like the shapeshifter. Sure, the geo is better for climbing but the pedaling sucks for some reason. On a constant gradient climb when I switch from XC to DH mode feels like I put it in an easier gear. It was a disappointment because I was expecting that it will improve the climbing not making it harder.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 4:22 Quote
bikeinbih wrote:
Kersh wrote:
BT180 wrote:

Personally, I don't like the shapeshifter. Sure, the geo is better for climbing but the pedaling sucks for some reason. On a constant gradient climb when I switch from XC to DH mode feels like I put it in an easier gear. It was a disappointment because I was expecting that it will improve the climbing not making it harder.

I feel like it certainly doesn't change anything enough to warrant having it there in the first place

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 10:55 Quote
It's a long shot, but any strive owner's in Chch NZ that have a spare derailleur hanger that I can hire for next week. I am racing in the TransNZ and don't have a spare. Will obviously buy it off you and replace it if I use it. Cheers

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 17:29 Quote
Niv24 wrote:
It's a long shot, but any strive owner's in Chch NZ that have a spare derailleur hanger that I can hire for next week. I am racing in the TransNZ and don't have a spare. Will obviously buy it off you and replace it if I use it. Cheers

Got one sorted!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017573
Mobile Version of Website