Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Evil
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 12:15 Quote
What spring should I run on my insurgent with an x2? I weigh 160 geared up and am 6 foot. I have a 500 on there now and it feels a bit stiff and I cannot get it to bottom out. Also any advice on insurgent shock set up would be appreciated.
thanks

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 14:08 Quote
WC-dj-rider wrote:
What spring should I run on my insurgent with an x2? I weigh 160 geared up and am 6 foot. I have a 500 on there now and it feels a bit stiff and I cannot get it to bottom out. Also any advice on insurgent shock set up would be appreciated.
thanks

162lbs geared up and running a 400lbs spring. About 29% SAG i would say.

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 21:46 Quote
No, I bought the frame brand new, and the headset was the one that came with it

Freerideguy14 wrote:
That would be my thought, the fork alignment with the head tube doesn't look to be parallel. Kind of odd to me that it would have the angle set (being that they're after market purchases), unless the bike was bought second hand.

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 21:56 Quote
Im running a fox float 36 2017

shoreboy1866 wrote:
What fork are you running? Something looks a bit off, and I cant tell if its just the picture that is messing with me.

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 22:00 Quote
No angleset, only the regular headset that came in with the frame.

AnfieldBC wrote:
To me it looks like it has the Evil Logo angleset, set to +1°?
photo

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 22:14 Quote
RipVanWinkle wrote:

shoreboy1866 wrote:
What fork are you running? Something looks a bit off, and I cant tell if its just the picture that is messing with me.

Bent steerer tube? Have you taken the fork off and checked the steerer is straight? Are you sure your fork is a 29" fork and not a 27.5" fork? Im not even sure if you could fit a 29er rim/tire into a 27.5" fork, but its worth double checking.

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 1:40 Quote
Ill check it tomorrow, Ill also post better pictures of my bike before and after inspecting it.

shoreboy1866 wrote:
RipVanWinkle wrote:

shoreboy1866 wrote:

Bent steerer tube? Have you taken the fork off and checked the steerer is straight? Are you sure your fork is a 29" fork and not a 27.5" fork? Im not even sure if you could fit a 29er rim/tire into a 27.5" fork, but its worth double checking.

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 15:07 Quote
Just want to see how often you guys are replacing your pivot bearings on the newer frames ( following, insurgent, wreck). I'm about 7 months in of riding 3 or more times a week in typical PNW US weather of rain/ mud and it looks about time to replace them. So to the people who have had their frames for a while what seems to be your experience with the pivot life?

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 15:51 Quote
Yo Schuster, I’m approaching 7 months of riding (PNW) on my Following and all is well. That being said, I took my bike apart twice over the wet winter to clean and re-lube all the bearings/pivots. Not sure how often you inspected your bearings, but it’s definitely worth cleaning (inspecting) and repacking them with grease to increase their life.

schuster19 wrote:
Just want to see how often you guys are replacing your pivot bearings on the newer frames ( following, insurgent, wreck). I'm about 7 months in of riding 3 or more times a week in typical PNW US weather of rain/ mud and it looks about time to replace them. So to the people who have had their frames for a while what seems to be your experience with the pivot life?

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 16:50 Quote
schuster19 wrote:
Take your bike apart and spin the bearings with your finger and find out. If you actually do ride 3 or more times per week for all 7 months, from my experience, you probably needed to change them a month or two ago, if not more.

Posted: Jun 30, 2017 at 11:03 Quote
Can any one give any opinions torwards an insurgent vs a wreckoning. Im having a really hard time deciding with which one i want to pick. I really do enjoy going fast, and i do race, but i would also say im somewhat a a parkrat and spend a lot of time in the park getting the bike relatively sideways and some minor tricks, like suicides, can cans, and starting to learn 3s.

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2017 at 11:43 Quote
Anyone put a Fox DHX2 coil shock on their bike? On my Insurgent I had to go up 50Lbs. in spring to get it set-up correct. Has anyone run into the same thing?

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2017 at 12:09 Quote
I've been on my Following for 2 years and haven't needed to change any bearings, have over 500 miles on it and mostly on pretty ruff North East terrain, but we haven't been as wet/muddy as PNW past couple of years.

funkyfunpuff wrote:
Yo Schuster, I’m approaching 7 months of riding (PNW) on my Following and all is well. That being said, I took my bike apart twice over the wet winter to clean and re-lube all the bearings/pivots. Not sure how often you inspected your bearings, but it’s definitely worth cleaning (inspecting) and repacking them with grease to increase their life.

schuster19 wrote:

Posted: Jun 30, 2017 at 12:29 Quote
ToddTheBigmac wrote:
Anyone put a Fox DHX2 coil shock on their bike? On my Insurgent I had to go up 50Lbs. in spring to get it set-up correct. Has anyone run into the same thing?
I've got the air, totally unrelated but I'm curious how you like the DHX2? I wanted it, but got a better deal on the float. It's honestly less 'playful' feeling than the Monarch, but I think it's significantly faster due to the heavier compression tune.

If the DHX2 is anything like the Float X2, I'd say you could get away with a bit more sag than you think due to the heavier compression tune I find in the DHX2 compared to other shocks. I know their springs aren't cheap, but it'd be interesting to know how a 50lb or 25lb lighter spring rides on the trail for you, despite it sagging more than it should.

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2017 at 15:33 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
Can any one give any opinions torwards an insurgent vs a wreckoning. Im having a really hard time deciding with which one i want to pick. I really do enjoy going fast, and i do race, but i would also say im somewhat a a parkrat and spend a lot of time in the park getting the bike relatively sideways and some minor tricks, like suicides, can cans, and starting to learn 3s.

I have an insurgent and my bro has a wreckoning. I also have an undead. My opinion if you're gunna race and ride the bike park is wreckoning. To me, the wreckoning, although taller, felt like you ride more in the bike. It feels closer to my undead than my insurgent does. The extra 10mm of travel and the bigger wheels will help out in the park. Plus that bike hauls ass, so good for racing. Just my 2 cents.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012724
Mobile Version of Website