Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Evil
Evil Owners Club
O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2023 at 20:28 Quote
Kovacs5211 wrote:
Hey all! How do you think the offering would do as an enduro bike? I was gifted an offering frame by my wonderful family that pooled thier money and im super happy. However, I recently EPd a bike thru my shop thats a 130 27.5 bike. So Id like to put a 38/X2 on it and "endurofy" it. Thoughts?

Since you have an Offering, sure thing. Build it and go! They are plenty burly enough to hold what a 38 can through at it and IMO, a larger fork just works better, especially for those over 180 lbs.

On a secondary note, If there was choice; then a Wrecker would be a better match and IMO gives up little in the way of everyday riding when compared to an Offering when set up well.

Lastly, my wife has a V2 Offering and it's been her only bike for a daily; including for park use as we live on a resort. While it's still running strong, she's beginning to lament the day that she has to replace it because she loves it so much.

That says a lot because she's been riding for 20+ yrs and she never really got attached to a bike in that time; until the Offering, it's always just been a bike that allowed her to get on the trail. Even 3 yrs on the Evil, she can't wait to ride her bike, period.

Posted: Dec 30, 2023 at 23:20 Quote
Kovacs5211 wrote:
Hey all! How do you think the offering would do as an enduro bike? I was gifted an offering frame by my wonderful family that pooled thier money and im super happy. However, I recently EPd a bike thru my shop thats a 130 27.5 bike. So Id like to put a 38/X2 on it and "endurofy" it. Thoughts?

I think if you got a 160mm 38, a cascade components link (Bumps travel a bit and increases progression), and maybe the angle set, you’d have a serious enduro bike on your hands. I have one set up with a 150mm lyrik and it already shreds, so I could imagine what a burlier build would do.

O+
Posted: Dec 31, 2023 at 21:35 Quote
Kovacs5211 wrote:
I don’t think you need a 38 to make it enduro
Go 160mm on a 36
Chuck a coil in the back
And a nice -1º headset

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2024 at 6:25 Quote
Kovacs5211 wrote:
I rode my Offering in the Salida Enduro this year. That race had a couple very chunky stages but I never felt outgunned.
Buy a Mezzer and Ohlins TTX2, better in every regard to the 38/X2, especially on this bike.

Way, way better than any 130 travel 27.5 will get you, plus. it's the best all-around trailbike I've ever ridden.

Huge kudos to your family. Beer

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2024 at 6:46 Quote
ShredDoggg wrote:
roxtar wrote:
Still disagree but that's OK.
Yes, Evils have a very progressive rear end and, as such, will work fine with a coil.
Are they all better with one? I don't think so.

I also run a 160 Mezzer Pro and 1.5* angleset on my Offering. The Ohlins in the rear is an amazing platform for it and I feel a coil would make it less good at what it does best - Be an ultra playful, poppy, fun trailbike with teeth.

Putting a coil on it would probably make it better planted and plusher. Things I'm not really looking for in a goldilocks bike.
If you're looking for those things why not buy a Wrecker? It does what you want and does it way more better.

How do you like the Mezzer? I've been looking to try one on my Wreckoning. No matter what I do the Zeb feels kind of "dead." The IRT on the Mezzer also sounds like what I'm looking for in a fork.
Most amazing fork I've ever run. I had a brand new Factory 38 on my Ripmo and my buddy kept raving about the Mezzer Pro. I took his bike for a ride and put the 38 up for sale the next day. I've put these on every build I've done since. I actually just built a new Wreckoning a couple months ago with one.
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/roxtar/album/2023-Evil-Wreckoning-LS/

It's also the first air fork that has worked for my wife. At the low pressures she needed for her 110lbs, every air fork she tried was just dead, as you described. I always put her in the Push AC3 coil conversion.
I put a super light tune in her Mezzer and am running it at 20 psi (seriously) and 32 in the IRT, and it actually works. Beer

There is, however, one issue with Mezzers. They come from the factory with an overdamped tune, IMO. This is a pretty easy fix as the damper is really simple to reshim.
I posted a thread on how to improve this already great fork which includes the retune:
https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/352911-Improvement-Tips-for-the-Mezzer-Pro?highlight=mezzer

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2024 at 12:09 Quote
I think the offering would be a better enduro bike than a wreckoning. I also think if your 190+ lbs you may want to look at 38mm stancions. EXT era being an exception*

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2024 at 22:05 Quote
Hey guys, has anyone tried putting a dual crown on their Evil Insurgent? Curious what your thoughts were. If so, do you climb with it or does it only see park / shuttle duties?

I’ve recently got hold of a Fox 40 (which is just about a pound more than my Zeb) and wondering how it would climb with a DC. Figured since the insurgent is such a light bike (to me anyways) I don’t think the extra weight would bother me much. Would likely travel down to 190 and I run a SwitchGrade so saddle angle’s taken care of.

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2024 at 2:17 Quote
yale986 wrote:
Hey guys, has anyone tried putting a dual crown on their Evil Insurgent? Curious what your thoughts were. If so, do you climb with it or does it only see park / shuttle duties?

I’ve recently got hold of a Fox 40 (which is just about a pound more than my Zeb) and wondering how it would climb with a DC. Figured since the insurgent is such a light bike (to me anyways) I don’t think the extra weight would bother me much. Would likely travel down to 190 and I run a SwitchGrade so saddle angle’s taken care of.

I run a Dorado on my Insurgent (M size). But most of my rides are in the bike park. Fork travel was reduced to 190mm. I'm on a mullet setup and I have the short offset which works mostly for 27.5. I think for S and M sizes you are safe with the short offset but if you are on L/XL you will need the crown with 57mm offset. I also have a ZEB but once you go on a double crown you can't go back Smile ).

Posted: Jan 16, 2024 at 8:46 Quote
yale986 wrote:

photo

I ran a 190 marzocchi bomber 58 with 29" fox 40 lowers on my insurgent v3. It climbed fire roads better than a single crown due to the extra weight up front. The axle to crown measurement on a 190 dual crown is close to a 180 single crown. I sold it a while back and presently run a 180 zeb ultimate. I loved the direct feel you get when smashing rocks, but ultimately it made the bike feel cumbersome and less agile. The current crop of single crowns are stiff enough for just about any non DH racing scenario.

Posted: Jan 16, 2024 at 19:37 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
yale986 wrote:

photo

I ran a 190 marzocchi bomber 58 with 29" fox 40 lowers on my insurgent v3. It climbed fire roads better than a single crown due to the extra weight up front. The axle to crown measurement on a 190 dual crown is close to a 180 single crown. I sold it a while back and presently run a 180 zeb ultimate. I loved the direct feel you get when smashing rocks, but ultimately it made the bike feel cumbersome and less agile. The current crop of single crowns are stiff enough for just about any non DH racing scenario.
The FoxZocchi goes crazy!

Posted: Jan 16, 2024 at 20:11 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
yale986 wrote:

photo

"It climbed fire roads better than a single crown due to the extra weight up front"... I'm having trouble grasping this concept. First time I'm hearing this lol. How can a dual crown DH fork "climb" better than a single crown fork? You think the added weight helps on climbs?? Not to mention the super slack head angle...? Also the added stress on your frame, particularly on the head tube is probably a bad idea. IDK man... that's a hard sell.

I think if you're putting a dual crown DH fork on an Insurgent, maybe you got the wrong bike? I know the Insurgent is a very capable bike, I owned one for 3 years. But I doubt the majority of the riders on Pinkbike are "out performing" a Zeb or a 38, where they would need a dual crown DH fork. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Posted: Jan 17, 2024 at 8:52 Quote
fredro wrote:

"It climbed fire roads better than a single crown due to the extra weight up front"... I'm having trouble grasping this concept. First time I'm hearing this lol. How can a dual crown DH fork "climb" better than a single crown fork? You think the added weight helps on climbs?? Not to mention the super slack head angle...? Also the added stress on your frame, particularly on the head tube is probably a bad idea. IDK man... that's a hard sell.

I think if you're putting a dual crown DH fork on an Insurgent, maybe you got the wrong bike? I know the Insurgent is a very capable bike, I owned one for 3 years. But I doubt the majority of the riders on Pinkbike are "out performing" a Zeb or a 38, where they would need a dual crown DH fork. Doesn't make much sense to me.

The head angle, as a result of having an a2c of 589 on a 190mm 29" fox 40 (170 29" zeb is 586 mm), is not "super slack". In fact, the head angle is roughly the same as an off the shelf insurgent mx complete.

I found that the front end wandered less and was more planted with the heavier fork (+400g over zeb) on fire road climbs, but I'm not out here stating that you should go out and get a DC fork to climb fire roads better. I'm stating my experience, and admittedly should have been more specific. Basic physics 1 concepts support my findings. While the difference in normal force between a zeb and fox 40 at 64 degrees is only about 4/10ths of a lbf, the 40 still does exert more force on the contact patch of the tire/surface.

The insurgent v3 is dual crown rated. I didn't buy the wrong bike. Evil has sold park models with boxxers on them from the factory in the past.

In case you didn't fully read my response, I stated the following:

"I sold it a while back and presently run a 180 zeb ultimate. I loved the direct feel you get when smashing rocks, but ultimately it made the bike feel cumbersome and less agile.The current crop of single crowns are stiff enough for just about any non DH racing scenario."

I'm not trying to sell anything. I am advising yale 986 that it is not worth it to run a dual crown unless he is trying to use his frame for DH racing. If he's running his insurgent as a dedicated park bike, then a dual crown may also make sense.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2024 at 14:11 Quote
Hey, just a heads up. I'm selling my 2023 Offering LS frame (Large). It comes with the Ohlins TTX2 rear shock which takes a great bike to the next level and a 1.5* angleset.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3818941/

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2024 at 22:04 Quote
roxtar wrote:
Hey, just a heads up. I'm selling my 2023 Offering LS frame (Large). It comes with the Ohlins TTX2 rear shock which takes a great bike to the next level and a 1.5* angleset.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3818941/

no selling in the forums

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015126
Mobile Version of Website