160mm forks, whats the best deal

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
160mm forks, whats the best deal
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 14:24 Quote
I've been in the market for a new 6" travel fork, and unfortunately started out with what I think is the wrong one. I bought a Marzocchi AM 1 with adjustable travel, from 4-6 inches. I want something that can handle my 230lb butt but still have the capabilities of travel adjustment. From what I see, the Fox 36 is the mac-daddy of good 36mm stanction forks. The 66 and the lyric are a little too heavy, and I don't want to risk ripping off my head tube (the owners manual says 5-6 inches, so i'm playing it safe). One fork that I have seen which looks stiff as hell and has all of the same capabilities as the fox fork is the Magura Woton. Dual arch?? Hells yeah!!! And its got on the fly travel adjustment from 120-160. Best part of all, its $200 cheaper than the fox. Does anybody have experience with the Woton or heard something about it? I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Mod
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 14:28 Quote
Go to the main page and type in Woton in the search. I think Kakah or some other pb editor test rode one and did a nice article/review of it. I never knew that they would be $200 cheaper than the 36. You can also look at the new Marzocchi 55 if weight is an issue. I know it is not quite 160mm but if it is set up corectly, you will more than likely never bottom it out.

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 14:34 Quote
Check out this link to reviews on Wotons on MTBR.com

Woton Review

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 14:37 Quote
the Wotan is good but hard to come by at least it was for me

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 14:42 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Go to the main page and type in Woton in the search. I think Kakah or some other pb editor test rode one and did a nice article/review of it. I never knew that they would be $200 cheaper than the 36. You can also look at the new Marzocchi 55 if weight is an issue. I know it is not quite 160mm but if it is set up corectly, you will more than likely never bottom it out.
if you get the 55ATA it goes up to 165mm but most models are like 150ish.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 14:43 Quote
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
laurie1 wrote:

the ATA goes to 160 every other 55 is 140

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 14:47 Quote
samnation wrote:
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
laurie1 wrote:

the ATA goes to 160 every other 55 is 140
i just check their website again and the ATA is 125-165 and the ETA and TST2 are both at 160.

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 14:58 Quote
stever wrote:
Check out this link to reviews on Wotons on MTBR.com

Woton Review

These reviews basically say that the Woton is a POS. It is true that I would prefer not having the remote control levers, but if they work then cool. Unfortunately it sounds like they don't work. I wonder if they have made any improvements from '07 to '08. Thanks for the link!

Mod
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 15:03 Quote
mtbr.com is a pretty unreliable source. I only really use that site for additional information as it is all based on opinions. In fact, half of the people probably don't even own the fork but have just test ridden one or are basing their opinion off of hearsay. Therefore, mtbr.com is not the best site for reviews. I am not saying that they aren't useful but you have to be careful about what you read and take away from the review. Sort of like how you have to double check internet sites' authenticity by going to multiple sources in order to make sure you are getting the correct information. I would try to go to Magura’s site as they often publish reviews of their products. Also, search on google for reviews.

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 15:31 Quote
The review on this site of the Wonton was completely different than the reviews on MTBR. Now I want to get that fork...

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 15:35 Quote
have you looked at rs lyric's

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 15:41 Quote
dhpete93 wrote:

They seem heavy, but yeah i have looked at them. My friend has one and it looks burly as hell. In fact thats probably what I'll get because its a real pain to deal with the manufacturer directly. Much easier to just order out of a catalog.

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 15:44 Quote
duhzonic wrote:
dhpete93 wrote:

They seem heavy, but yeah i have looked at them. My friend has one and it looks burly as hell. In fact thats probably what I'll get because its a real pain to deal with the manufacturer directly. Much easier to just order out of a catalog.
yeh and you have the u turn advantage for dj

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013189
Mobile Version of Website