Trailforks Website Feedback & Suggestions

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Trailforks Website Feedback & Suggestions
Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 20:40 Quote
I'm talking about the Trailforks activity feed, if it's not possible to add the ability to filter by bike then what about a way of ignoring certain users' ride logs? I'm not talking about ignoring them all together but just their ride logs.

Mod O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 22:15 Quote
legomyego1010 wrote:
I'm talking about the Trailforks activity feed, if it's not possible to add the ability to filter by bike then what about a way of ignoring certain users' ride logs? I'm not talking about ignoring them all together but just their ride logs.

So you can ignore them alltogether already. I could add ability to ignore by bike type as well, but the problem is a lot of users don't specific a bike type or a bike on their ridelog, so it wouldn't filter those. Unless it ONLY showed ridelogs matching a bike type.

Ignoring a user i could also do, but would it be ignore all their activity, or just ridelogs from that user.

Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 22:45 Quote
canadaka wrote:
Ignoring a user i could also do, but would it be ignore all their activity, or just ridelogs from that user.

I think just ridelogs from that user, I realize that I can disable all ride logs biu I'd still like to be able to see most of them, just not commuting ones.

Posted: Nov 23, 2014 at 10:37 Quote
Just discovered this awesome site. Thanks developers and contributors for all the great info.

Is there a place to view the scale of local area maps that adjusts as you zoom in and out?

Thanks!

Posted: Nov 23, 2014 at 14:03 Quote
Im going to suggest 2 things, I really dont know if were suggested before or not..

Possibility to divide a trail in 2 trails ( Something like the actual crop feature ). Why could be good? Imagine someone upload a trail, but its actually 2 trails, you notice that, so you have to crop one, then upload the other.. With that feature, you just would need to mark what point to divide and then assign a name.

Multi-language support, that anyone could select the prefered language, so the web would be translated into that one.

Regards

Mod O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2014 at 16:39 Quote
bigquotesIs there a place to view the scale of local area maps that adjusts as you zoom in and out?
There is not... I could add a scale chart to the maps, this is what you mean? Shouldn't be too hard.

Multi-language support is a huge task, its not something that is going to happen anytime soon, not even PB is multi-language. I do have a translate feature though, on trail names and descriptions, if you hover your mouse over them a small translate link appears. The problem with having a user settings to select a language and translate every page is it would drastically slow down the page-load time and we would hit the translation service API limits. Its certainly possible that one day we will to translations of the site, but for the mean time we are concentrated on still adding a lot more planned features.

Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 6:33 Quote
canadaka wrote:
bigquotesIs there a place to view the scale of local area maps that adjusts as you zoom in and out?
There is not... I could add a scale chart to the maps, this is what you mean? Shouldn't be too hard.

Multi-language support is a huge task, its not something that is going to happen anytime soon, not even PB is multi-language. I do have a translate feature though, on trail names and descriptions, if you hover your mouse over them a small translate link appears. The problem with having a user settings to select a language and translate every page is it would drastically slow down the page-load time and we would hit the translation service API limits. Its certainly possible that one day we will to translations of the site, but for the mean time we are concentrated on still adding a lot more planned features.

I didn't notice that feature.. It's great, maybe you could improve it making it more visible, because if you dont tell me about it, I wouldn't know even exists Frown

About the translations again, I know it need a big work but it's a very easy one. I'm not talking about live translation, I mean, strings like:

"Overview" "Areas" "Trails" "Status" ... "More"

that are always the same.. Stored in vars, like $lang['overview'] = "Overview"; $lang['areas'] = "Areas"; and if I want en spanish, you just load $lang['overview'] = "Vista General"; $lang['areas'] = "Áreas";

In both cases you print the same var $lang['overview'] but its the server who include english_vars or spanish_vars. With this way, performance wouldn't change, you can try it If you want to..

When you come to PB, you know it's english, a lot of places where the user can write, forums, articles, etc, but trailforks it's about trails, so with just the basics strings translated would make a huge difference for non-english speakers.. Just my 2 cents..

Regards

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2014 at 22:05 Quote
http://www.trailforks.com/region/alberta/directory/

Can you make the directory sortable.

IE sort by city or category.

Mod O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 1:41 Quote
so most tables on the site are sortable (by clicking the table column header) if they are 1 page.
If >1 page then the JS sorting is disabled, because it only sorts whats on the first page.
I can add city & category sort to the "sorting" menu on the right, which will reload the page sorted.

The exception is trail tables, they will sort by clicking the table headings, there is a special ajax request done.
http://www.trailforks.com/region/alberta/trails/
Its a bit of work to add that too all trails.

Posted: Dec 3, 2014 at 12:32 Quote
I don't see a way to flag an area that should be deleted. For example, someone just created Capitol State Forest near Olympia WA, but Capitol Forest was already there, with numerous trails (I believe I rejected the new 'Capitol State Forest'...). I see plenty of options to edit, none to flag for deletion.

Mod O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2014 at 12:56 Quote
hmm yup seems the region page is missing a "flag" link at the bottom like many other content pages have. Adding it now.

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2014 at 17:48 Quote
canadaka--awesome work so far, I'm really enjoying this site. I'm hoping in time it can replace the full array of apps and websites that I use to plan and ride new trails. I thought I would go through my list and see how much of it I will eventually be able to do with trailforks. For background, I am a mountain biker first and foremost, and I use a PC/Mac for planning and an iPhone on the trail.

Motion-X: My go-to app for on-trail GPS recording, map/trail reference, and ride stats. I don't have a lot of complaints with this app. I especially like that I can download maps pre-ride so that I don't lose the map when I leave a data coverage area. I also really like that I can reference Open Cycle Maps, which lets me track my progress on charted trails. If I am so inclined, I can send Motion-X a gpx file for upload, and then track where I am according to my plan. Motion-X supports a lot of different map types, so perhaps it could also display the trailforks map? Perhaps this will be unnecessary once your app is out?

OSM: Over the years, I have so appreciated the ability to follow OCM trails on Motion-X that I learned how to add trails to the OSM trailmap database, and have added tons of trails in places I've lived and ridden. Other than making nice maps for Motion-X, I don't much like what OSM offers. Trailforks absolutely kills it when it comes to user-friendly features that cyclists naturally want to see, such as distance, climbing, rating, difficulty, descriptions, etc. Bravo!!

BikeRouteToaster: This website allows me to get some planning functionality out of OSM. With some success, I can build routes using off-road paths that show up on Open Cycle Maps. I can get distance, a vertical profile, and ultimately a gpx file that I can send back to Motion-X for upload, or a kml file that I can view in Google Earth to get a better lay of the land before I go ride. This website works pretty well for road bike routes, but I often find that it fall apart when routing trails--unless the intersections are done perfectly, it has trouble linking up multiple trails. From reading your forum here, it sounds like you are planning a similar functionality here on Trailforks. Any major differences?

MTBR: I go here for trail reviews, and will be happy to drop this step as Trailforks picks up this function.

EVERYTRAIL PRO: I sometimes use this iPhone app, which combines searching, planning, and riding a trail. It has some decent features, but I think trying to build all of the best search/mapping/stats features into the iPhone interface is pretty hard. There also don't seem to be any real filters, so I have to scroll through hikes and also rides that may be outside the area I am interested in. It's also a take-it-or-leave it approach--if you want to change the ride at all, you are out of luck.

What I am hoping for: I am of the mind that the PC/Mac (or a tablet as a distant second) makes the best platform for researching and planning, and so far the Trailforks site is looking very promising as a do-it-all planning site. Once trail routing capability is added, I am hoping that I can link up multiple trails, check the distance and total climb to make sure I can hack it, check it out on Google Earth, and download a gpx file that I can send to the phone or GPS unit. At the trailhead, I am hoping that I can start up the Trailforks app, and it has my route ready to go, as well as a quality map with all of the nearby trails on it, that will work in and out of cell data coverage. At the end of the ride, I will be able to see my ride and stats on the phone or website, put it on the ridelog, and can share my exploits on FB or whatever.

Is this all in the vision? Thanks for all your work so far, and I'm looking forward to the new capabilities!

Mod O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2014 at 18:44 Quote
Thanks for the feedback!

Motion-X I have never used this app as its iOS only and I'm an Adnroid user Wink But it seems like most of this will be covered by the Trailforks App over time.

OSM We may add more OSM integration at some point, I do collect a trails OSM WAY ID#. You can also bulk Import trails from a OSM file. So if you know about OSM editing you could use JOSM to export the trails you added in an area to a *.osm file and upload it to Trailforks: http://www.trailforks.com/contribute/trailbulk/

BikeRouteToaster route planning is actually what i've been working on the past 2 weeks. There are plenty of bike routing sites out there, but they are all road bike focused using road networks. Trailforks will have routing for mountain bike trails and allow you to download a GPX file, share the URL of the route and eventually send the route to the App.

MTBR trails already have a "Reviews & Comments" section at the bottom of each trail page, just takes time to build that up: http://www.trailforks.com/activity/comments/
But Trailforks also has a strong focus on trail reports, which kinda replaces some of the content people would post as reviews on some of these older sites.

EVERYTRAIL I used to use everytrail myself before Strava hit the scene, but now Strava is the app I use for recording rides gps track. Trailforks has no plans to offer this functionality, there are so many other apps that do gps recording well, no need to duplicate. I will try and integrate them into the Ridelog import system if they have an API like Strava and MapMyRide have been.

What you are hoping for
YUP! this all is within the vision of what Trailforks does and will offer, I'm sure by next spring/summer you will be able to do all of that. An early beta version of the ride planning will be coming very soon, probably this month. I'm not 100% sure if we will have the ability to sync a planned ride to the App in its first initial release, but it will come.

Sneak peak: https://www.pinkbike.com/video/388946/ pass=trailforks

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2014 at 19:45 Quote
Wow, I'm psyched! I don't know where you find time to ride with all this on your plate.

If you need feedback on the route planning beta or you want me to try anything IOS-related, let me know!

Dwight

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2014 at 9:19 Quote
Regarding the trail voting system (5 stars) it would be cool if you could visually see what your vote is ie a highlighted star or a different color. Compared to what other users have rated the trail.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014293
Mobile Version of Website