Fox 36 Float 170 RC2 Fit vs Rockshox Pike RCT3

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Fox 36 Float 170 RC2 Fit vs Rockshox Pike RCT3
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 6:38 Quote
Trying to decide on which fork to buy. I have it narrowed down to a Fox 36 Float 170mm RC2 Fit and a Rockshox Pike RCT3 160mm.

I have a messed up shoulder which is why I want a longer travel fork. this will be for a 27.5 inch wheel. The lack of a quick release on the fox is no big deal. I do like the extra 10mm of travel but I whish the fork had the CTD that their other floats have.

I do a lot of fire road and paved road climbing so a lock out would be nice. My current 130mm fox does not have a lockout, do I really need it? Do any of you out there use yours?

Also I love my old fox fork but it needs to be rebuilt frequently because is leaks oil. Is this still an issue with them? From what I have read, the Pike has the edge here.

I am curious to hear everyone's opinion.

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 9:58 Quote
Out of interest what sort of travel does your bike have, if it isn't around 150-170 I wouldn't consider these forks, soley because the frame will ride like a tank, and it could be prone to fatigue and possibly cracking! Also, the fox CTD range is really crap, horrible feel and very under damped a RC2 cartridge is very tuneable and can feel excellent if done right, the pike does feel amazing how ever, but I prefer the 36

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 11:28 Quote
Yeah, don't fall for the CDT marketing, it just gives you less adjustment settings.
Also, to me, locking out a 170mm fork has little benefit for climbing, since it locks at the top, so if the bike isn't balanced, you would be better off getting a dual position or Talas fork to drop the front end for climbing.

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 11:51 Quote
The pike has a similar technology to CTD, where you can run fully open or descend mode, partially open or trail mode and closed/ locked out, the equivelqbt to fox's climb setting. From what I have heard, rockshox locks out stiffer than fox.

Also rockshox as a rule needs less frequent servicing and it's less technical servicing too.

Both have received good reviews and are considered class leaders but the pike is just so much cheaper!

If you are willing to spend a lot then I have heard the bos enduro fork has a bit of an edge on the pike and I think it's 170mm

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 12:44 Quote
Yea the pikes system is pretty much the same as the fox, just the charger damper feels a lot more supportive the whole way through, the fox in decend blows right through it's travel, and that's where a RC2 cartridge can solve the problem, just by adding some high speed

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 12:49 Quote
My current bike is an ancient Titus Quazimoto and I believe it has around 5 inches of travel. I am however looking to buy a new bike, its long overdue. I am honestly amazed that I have not broke the Titus. I have cased it badly on jumps, took long tumbles down hills and I even raced downhill for a year on it back when it was state of the art.

Anyway, to answer the question, I am looking at the Intense Tracer carbon and the Santa Cruz Nomad so I will be looking at 160mm of rear travel.

Posted: Aug 2, 2014 at 21:50 Quote
Just bought a new fox float 36 and it blows away my 2013 version. Going on a nomad I would go for the fox float. The nomad is rated for a 160-180mm fork. Also I got my new float at the same price point as the pike.

Posted: Aug 4, 2014 at 5:34 Quote
If I buy the Intense Tracer, they said they will swap the Pike for the Float. I think I mostly want it for the 170mm of travel also my very old fox fork has been pretty reliable. Does your Float have the thru axle? If so, are you running a 15mm axle or 20mm?

Is there a big difference between the Nomad and the Intense? They look the same but the Nomad has a super slack head angle.

Posted: Aug 4, 2014 at 22:07 Quote
I just put a 2014 Fox 36 Float Rc2 FIT on my commencal, and I have never ridden on such an awesome fork. If the 2015 is better, as they say, than I cant imagine how a rockshox fork can get better than that..

My friend has a pike on his bronson, and he says he has to put air in every ride or it looses its burl (freeride jump sessions).. He says its movement is awesome, but it lacks the overall stoutness of the fox 36. I have ridden my fox hard 5 times now, and its still as stiff as it was when I set it up. My confidence varies very little between my 160mm fox 36, and my 200mm steel rockshox domain, which is saying something.

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 at 4:45 Quote
All 36 fox fork's have a thru axle. I am running mine with the 20mm thru axle. Its a strange looking thru axle as it has threads on it to fit the 15mm threads. The adapter set up is pretty cool. My 2013 float was a sweet fork I just had minor complaints about brake dive and blowing thru its travel so much that I had to add more air and add oil to the air side of the fork to battle that. This new fork I actually had to put less air in the fork than recommended and rode awesome. Its axle to crown is really low which I found made the bike handle better on the trail. I rode a pike and was not crazy about the adjustments it had. It rode nice but lacked the ability to really dial in the ride you want. The fox having high and low speed compression really shines there and the new fit cartridge performs better than the previous. It really matches my ccdb well now. So happy I went with the fox over the pike.

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 at 6:01 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
SNIP>

My friend has a pike on his bronson, and he says he has to put air in every ride or it looses its burl (freeride jump sessions).. SNIP>.
My Pike was loosing air pressure and eventually wouldn't hold pressure even when just inflated. It was fairly new (only 7hrs) and a strip of the fork air cap found the main o-ring hadn't been greased from new, it also hadn't beeni torqued to anything near what the workshop manual requires. A quick grease/re-fit torque up and its back to being sublime. I suspect that I need to strip and grease the rest of the air spring and any other area requiring grease or oil as it looks like assembly checks are being skipped.

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 at 6:54 Quote
maccduff wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:
SNIP>

My friend has a pike on his bronson, and he says he has to put air in every ride or it looses its burl (freeride jump sessions).. SNIP>.
My Pike was loosing air pressure and eventually wouldn't hold pressure even when just inflated. It was fairly new (only 7hrs) and a strip of the fork air cap found the main o-ring hadn't been greased from new, it also hadn't beeni torqued to anything near what the workshop manual requires. A quick grease/re-fit torque up and its back to being sublime. I suspect that I need to strip and grease the rest of the air spring and any other area requiring grease or oil as it looks like assembly checks are being skipped.

Coming from motorcycle suspensions and now doing all my own fork service. 99% of all forks i have torn down lack grease and such from the factory.

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 at 10:23 Quote
Ya i need to learn how to do my own suspension and other maintenance. Im a gaper when it comes to hands on mechanics. I will tell my friend what youre saying though.

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 at 15:02 Quote
It sounds to me from the collective feedback that I should go with the fox fork. I appreciate all of your feedback.

Anyone have an opinion on the Intense Tracer or the Santa Cruz Nomad?

For that matter do any of you know a better trail or endure bike out there?

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 at 17:08 Quote
What are you plans for the bike. I would actually think the Bronson would be a better all around bike over the nomad. The nomad is essentially a mini version of the V10. I hear it climbs well but the bronson i rode was all around a bad a** bike. light nimble and handle everything i could throw at it. its a 10mm difference in rear travel but the head angle on the bronson is a little less slack so it climbs a lot better.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016506
Mobile Version of Website